Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    When they can claim your body parts as payment.
    That explains the new Health Bill the Admin wants to sign...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    That explains the new Health Bill the Admin wants to sign...
    A healthy liver is worth how much? 20k? How about one of your lung? You only need one lung to stay alive.

I like having spares...

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    But...but...all they have to do is stop buying iphones!

I have a feeling this is going to be happening soon: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EatTheRich

I personally dropped out of college after 3 terms back in 1991, after only spending something like $1000, and I didn't go back. I have no plans to ever go back. I'm making good money now, and when I do die, I have already made plans for everything I have to be liquidated to cash and given to an animal shelter. If there are any medical bills, they just won't get paid, because I have people that will make sure the liquidation happens very quickly. That's only assuming it's sudden. If I have any advance knowledge, I do the liquidation myself.
    Hell yeah that's what's up. Go bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    I suppose when you get a shit degree in 19th century poetry or something, that barista position in Starbucks is going to force you to struggle to repay that student loan.
    Lots of people go to school for practical subjects, like science and law degrees, and still can't find work in their field. I suppose that's their fault as well though.

Society pushes the idea that everyone should go to school for these subjects but there are only so many jobs to go around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Don't worry, they'll make sure taxpayers (aside from the people with student loans) aren't suffering by instituting a Debtor's Prison in a decade or two. We clearly don't mean forced labor camps! They're just working to pay off their debts to big banks society!
    We dont need debtors prisons, we just need to garnish their paychecks if they dont pay back their loans

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    We dont need debtors prisons, we just need to garnish their paychecks if they dont pay back their loans
    You're aware that most people would be paying if they could, right? Garnishing their paychecks just means they can't pay their bills, or buy food, or gas for their car, or even the barest of luxuries to help make life livable beyond 'eat, sleep, work'.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    And as bad is that is...private for-profit colleges are exponentially worse.
    You'd be had pressed to find an actual "for profit" private college, at least in the sense that there's not a group of stakeholders just taking a cut of "profit."

I suspect most of the private schools are just trying to build endowment right now, while they know the easy loan money is there. It won't be forever.

Keep in mind that the "public" universities just get a nice cut form the taxpayer, and then offer a comparable product at a comparable cost (in general, there are some that do a nice job).

10+ Year Old Account
    You assume that people struggling to pay these loans have -any- disposable income.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    You're aware that most people would be paying if they could, right? Garnishing their paychecks just means they can't pay their bills, or buy food, or gas for their car, or even the barest of luxuries to help make life livable beyond 'eat, sleep, work'.
    They dont need to have the barest of luxuries (they are luxuries for a reason, they arent needed to survive), or anything beyond eat work, amd sleep until their bills are paid off

10+ Year Old Account
    They dont need to have the barest of luxuries (they are luxuries for a reason, they arent needed to survive), or anything beyond eat work, amd sleep until their bills are paid off
    What you define as a 'luxury' has been a necessity for the past decade at the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Students who graduate and work in the field they have studied for 10 years get their student loan annulled and void.
    That will help with the student debt - by removing it for upstanding students.
    That will force students to think at least once before choosing their majors. (no art or social sciences majors for easy diploma)
    That will increase the competition for high demand fields and thus increase the quality of graduates.
    That will increase the number of fields for people to apply to, not everyone is cut out for STEM
    That in turn will make all Unis desirable - any Uni with free slots for high demand fields will do.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Delana View Post
    You'd be had pressed to find an actual "for profit" private college, at least in the sense that there's not a group of stakeholders just taking a cut of "profit."

I suspect most of the private schools are just trying to build endowment right now, while they know the easy loan money is there. It won't be forever.

Keep in mind that the "public" universities just get a nice cut form the taxpayer, and then offer a comparable product at a comparable cost (in general, there are some that do a nice job).
    I'm not talking about the traditional public vs private colleges. I'm talking about things like Trump University, whose accreditations amount to a pile of shit.

Good, hopefully this will thin the herd a little.

People don't want to hear it, but some people just aren't meant for college, and the University system has diluted the quality of degrees by offering useless degrees like social science and liberal arts (which, let's admit, are nothing more than expensive participation trophies).

Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    Good, hopefully this will thin the herd a little.

People don't want to hear it, but some people just aren't meant for college, and the University system has diluted the quality of degrees by offering useless degrees like social science and liberal arts (which, let's admit, are nothing more than expensive participation trophies).
    Dumb narratives make the world go round...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...ts-degree/amp/

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    In history books we called that 'indentured servitude', also known as borderline slavery.