Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Thanks for proving you don't even play the game, every piece of gear you obtain in game from quests, drops, dungeons etc can be used in Wardrobe, once you unlock the skin it's yours forever on all your chars, as for mounts? sure you can get a few mounts through lockboxes but the vast majority of mounts are bought with in game currency, platinum.

The game even gives you a free mount at level 20, you can get mounts from achievements, heck you can even fish up mounts so where's that "Pay To Win" coming into it again?
    well i dont play it anymore as of about 3 weeks ago.....and not only did i play the game a supported it buying some of that garbage and by the time i leveled up and seen the end game i felt like i have been swindled by a used car sails men i felt like my nice new car fell apart as a drove it out of the lot. and yes all the new mounts and wardrobe are in the cash shop......i don't think you pointing out some obscure wardrobe or mounts that were in the game prier excuses this.

i'm glad you like this second life simulator tho

Thanks for proving you don't even play the game, every piece of gear you obtain in game from quests, drops, dungeons etc can be used in Wardrobe, once you unlock the skin it's yours forever on all your chars, as for mounts? sure you can get a few mounts through lockboxes but the vast majority of mounts are bought with in game currency, platinum.

The game even gives you a free mount at level 20, you can get mounts from achievements, heck you can even fish up mounts so where's that "Pay To Win" coming into it again?
    You know, if it weren't for the first 9 words and the second paragraph, this almost sounds like a community ambassador. But you just had to put that condescending Slipmat twist in there that probably turns more people away from the game. Being a condescending jerk is not the way to be a community ambassador.

I do actually agree with Slipmat here a bit though. Mounts and wardrobe are cosmetic and that's the kind of stuff that belongs in a cash shop and is in no way P2W. There are other aspects though, like earring slots and titles to equip gear that, at least in the last expansion, were basically pure P2W. So is being able to buy gear that gets you in to the latest tier. Sure, it's not best in slot gear, but it was only ever 1 tier behind, negating the need to earn your way in to the latest raids. Sure, you can buy that stuff with plat, but that's a lame excuse when the best way to make plat is to spend money and sell REX.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You know, if it weren't for the second paragraph, this almost sounds like a community ambassador. With the second paragraph, it just sounds like a condescending fanboy.

I do actually agree with slipmat here a bit, mounts and wardrobe are cosmetic and that's the kind of stuff that belongs in a cash shop and is in no way P2W. There are other aspects though, like earring slots and titles to equip gear that, at least in the last expansion, were basically pure P2W. So is being able to buy gear that gets you in to the latest tier. Sure, it's not best in slot gear, but it was only ever 1 tier behind, negating the need to earn your way in to the latest raids. Sure, you can buy that stuff with plat, but that's a lame excuse when the best way to make plat is to spend money and sell REX.
    Soul Packs are technically pay to win as a raider since a few of those souls are the best for raiding for their respective roles. Earrings are borderline pay to win/heavily pay for convenience since you can obtain them quicker by paying money.

Cosmetics are fine in any cash shop imo. But no Trion went full on idiotic and threw gear slots in there, raid gear and soul packs.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-03-21 at 03:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Trion went full on idiotic and threw gear slots in there, raid gear and soul packs.
    I thought it was fairly obvious as to why, it was 'debated' Ad Nauseam but the reason was they gave the Expansion Nightmare Tide for free, nobody had to pay a dime but MMO's don't survive on good intentions so Trion decided to make money back by doing microtransactions like earring slots.

People forget for the first few months earring slots were unlockable with 100k void stones then they went to credits, now back to void stones, this time 50k. Of course today's Generation Snowflake gamers blew a fuse and started crying about "P2W!" and other such nonsense, they got an Expansion for free but thought they were also entitled to everything under the Sun, i want it all and i want it now mentality.

So Trion are now back to paid DLCs, you buy the Expansion Pack and that's it, so far no extra transactions, it blew back on them, give something away for free and the players cry ''gief me moar!", other Companies gave up on even doing this and will now just charge for a DLC after saying they wouldn't, that it was all covered in the "optional" sub but instead they moved the goalposts by calling the upcoming Expansion something different.

I thought it was fairly obvious as to why, it was 'debated' Ad Nauseam but the reason was they gave the Expansion Nightmare Tide for free, nobody had to pay a dime but MMO's don't survive on good intentions so Trion decided to make money back by doing microtransactions like earring slots.

People forget for the first few months earring slots were unlockable with 100k void stones then they went to credits, now back to void stones, this time 50k. Of course today's Generation Snowflake gamers blew a fuse and started crying about "P2W!" and other such nonsense, they got an Expansion for free but thought they were also entitled to everything under the Sun, i want it all and i want it now mentality.

So Trion are now back to paid DLCs, you buy the Expansion Pack and that's it, so far no extra transactions, it blew back on them, give something away for free and the players cry ''gief me moar!", other Companies gave up on even doing this and will now just charge for a DLC after saying they wouldn't, that it was all covered in the "optional" sub but instead they moved the goalposts by calling the upcoming Expansion something different.
    Did I call the earring slots Pay to win? No but as usual not surprised to see you doing what you normally do again which is cherry pick quotes to suit your own argument. I called it heavily pay for convenience which it is. If I can get something that increases character power faster than someone who doesn't pay especially a gear slot. It's convenience.

Again it doesn't excuse them selling both Earrings and Planewalker: Water. They could have found better ways to be sustainable during Nightmare Tide but no they chose to start selling that and raid gear. They could have easily survived on a pure cosmetic cash shop with Patron but no they chose to go down the money grabbing route and focus on money>quality content and it blew up in their faces. But not surprised to see you excusing something like this.

I called the soul packs pay to win for raiders as they contain some very powerful souls for raiding. Stop trying to make it sound like selling gear slots should be a sustainable way just because it went F2P. It's just blatant cash grabbing.

Also their DLC really isn't worth £30. You cannot justify the cost of Starfall at all especially with how meager the launch content was. I know of games with way more DLC and that do similar content pacing.

Instanced Rifts.
    2 70 dungeons at launch.
    No raids.
    Dailies.
    Continuous launch issues aka crashes and content being disabled.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-03-22 at 10:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't aware the "raid gear" you bought in the cash shop was the best in slot..oh wait, it wasn't, you got the best gear in the game from actually doing the raids, also you might try reading a bit better, i didn't say anywhere you called earring slots P2W.

On hindsight it might have been the better idea to have charged for Nightmare Tide and done, but they tried to give it away for free and charge for some items, it didn't work so now it's back to paying for an Expansion, i can't make it anymore clearer than that.

You cannot justify the cost of Starfall at all especially with how meager the launch content was
    You make it sound like what was at launch was the entire Expansion and that's it, no more content for another 2 years or when ever 5.0 is launched

I wasn't aware the "raid gear" you bought in the cash shop was the best in slot..oh wait, it wasn't, you got the best gear in the game from actually doing the raids, also you might try reading a bit better, i didn't say anywhere you called earring slots P2W.

On hindsight it might have been the better idea to have charged for Nightmare Tide and done, but they tried to give it away for free and charge for some items, it didn't work so now it's back to paying for an Expansion, i can't make it anymore clearer than that.

You make it sound like what was at launch was the entire Expansion and that's it, no more content for another 2 years or when ever 5.0 is launched
    LAUNCH CONTENT. Read please. It doesn't matter what is yet to come. The amount of launch content is pitiful. Especially the quality of it when they have had to disable it consistently. I don't understand how you can defend the broken mess that Starfall is? Also where did I say that content was the entirety of Starfall content or make it out to be? I said for launch content that is pitiful. Which it is. And the content so far that has come after hasn't really had any polish or quality to it either. Fortress Siege was initially disabled because they didn't tune the boss properly because of laziness.

£30 does not justify that amount of launch content when I've paid cheaper for games and gotten way more launch content on day one. Patch content means jack shit if there is barely any launch content to keep people interested. I mean 4 months later and we are only just getting a raid? And it's not even a brand new one it's just Rise of the Phoenix upscaled and the new one is just made for LFR.

Also that raid gear got you into the current raid without having to go and farm it. That is borderline pay to win/convenience imo. Any game that sells raid gear to allow you into the current game is pay to win/heavy convenience. I don't care which game does it. I imagine once RoTP rehash comes out they will just update the store for gear that gets you into it. Disgusting. And who mentioned the purchased raid gear was best in slot? Nobody here did. Why are you bringing up points nobody else did?

Also no. They tried to cash grab with Nightmare Tide. There is no other way of spinning it. They could have easily made a cosmetic store and made money through lockboxes. They chose to lower the quality of the game in return for making a quick buck now it's bit them in the backside. Their own fault. They chose to treat the community like shit as well with things like placing the blame on them instead of themselves for content coming out a mess in Nightmare Tide and Starfall.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-03-22 at 11:30 AM.

Deleted
    nice so we got nightmare tide for free, well that was great cause it was free i spent a fair ammount of money on just getting planewalker and earing slots when i started playing, plus stormlegion soulpack cause harb for my mage was by FAR the best spec (and u had to buy it, but thats not pay to win right?) not to mention being patron for pretty much the whole time i played it for.

oh but wait that wasnt enough money from me and everyone else so we'll make them buy the next x-pac cause we cant run this for free, not with people only buying patrons/soulpacks and the other money grabbing stupid shit u could buy. so they decide to try rape people with a £35 bullshit x-pac that didnt even work and didnt even have half the content it was supposed to have at launch, and u wonder why their giving stuff away for free? not cause players crying "gief more" but players wanting what they fuckin payed for!

good work defending a broken dieing game with everything u possible can tho slipmat, it just makes u look like silly trying to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie90 View Post
    nice so we got nightmare tide for free, well that was great cause it was free i spent a fair ammount of money on just getting planewalker and earing slots when i started playing, plus stormlegion soulpack cause harb for my mage was by FAR the best spec (and u had to buy it, but thats not pay to win right?) not to mention being patron for pretty much the whole time i played it for.

oh but wait that wasnt enough money from me and everyone else so we'll make them buy the next x-pac cause we cant run this for free, not with people only buying patrons/soulpacks and the other money grabbing stupid shit u could buy. so they decide to try rape people with a £35 bullshit x-pac that didnt even work and didnt even have half the content it was supposed to have at launch, and u wonder why their giving stuff away for free? not cause players crying "gief more" but players wanting what they fuckin payed for!

good work defending a broken dieing game with everything u possible can tho slipmat, it just makes u look like silly trying to do so.
    As a raider you would naturally use the best souls you possibly can. I remember Harbinger and Arbiter being OP as fuck. Soul packs are pay to win in my book. They made certain Souls best for raiding and they knew what they were doing when they did it.

Deleted
    indeed the soul packs are the biggest form of p2w in rift and being a pve player they were needed in order to perform half decently in raids, if not for the soul it'self but even for a sub-soul to your spec,

also being able to buy the last current tier of armor from the cash shop is deffinatly p2w weather its the current tier or not, i spend months farming for t2 in nightmare tide, then t3 come out people could just ding to 65 and buy the gear i spent months farming for wich was a tiny bit worse than t3, sure it cost people £250-£300 or somthing wich is just ridiculous but then again some people have more money than sense

they went buy to play and they still have the dlc and cash shop and sub do you see the problem???? i mean seriously every aspect of this game is done terribly

Quote Originally Posted by lokoma View Post
    they went buy to play and they still have the dlc and cash shop and sub do you see the problem???? i mean seriously every aspect of this game is done terribly
    B2P with cash shop is fine. Rifts cash shop is fucking gross though. Optional sub is fine but the amount of convenience gated behind Patron is stupid. Rift could have easily made a cash shop similar to how Guild Wars 2 does it and done well. GW2 sells cosmetics and XP boosters mostly in theirs. And even then leveling is so smooth you don't even need to buy a booster.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-03-22 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    B2P with cash shop is fine. Rifts cash shop is fucking gross though. Optional sub is fine but the amount of convenience gated behind Patron is stupid. Rift could have easily made a cash shop similar to how Guild Wars 2 does it and done well. GW2 sells cosmetics and XP boosters mostly in theirs. And even then leveling is so smooth you don't even need to buy a booster.
    i agree but the thing gw2 has going for it its different form any other mmo and it's more skill based than gere

That's understood. But that was not a good way to go about it, and it was not popular. Folks understand they need to make money, but it's up to Trion to earn it by providing high quality content and attractive cash shop offerings.

It's not as if free expansions for MMO's don't work. There are other games like STO that release free expansions (though theirs are far smaller scale, even smaller than NT) so it's possible for it to work. Alternatively, had they could have always just stuck with paid expansions. It was their decision to release it for free.

Yeah, 100K voidstones was a rough grind that rubbed folks the wrong way, and when they were pulled from void stones that was even worse.

"Generation snowflake" is what you call anyone critical of these decisions? You're doing a terrible job as a community ambassador, dude. Like, real talk. You're actively driving potential new or returning players away by representing the game in this manner.

Again, NT was not a well thought out expansion in the slightest. It's pretty easy to look back and see their very obvious missteps with it. And the missteps with Starfall Prophecy are even more apparent right out of the gate.

So Trion are now back to paid DLCs, you buy the Expansion Pack and that's it, so far no extra transactions, it blew back on them,
    It blew back on them because content that was implied as launch content got delayed to post launch content. The promised "higher quality" that was going to justify the return of the box price never came, with us instead getting a buggy, unbalanced, largely broken expansion with little max level content and some of the most boring and laziest encounter design I've seen out of the Rift team to date.

Is it a surprise that folks aren't happy?

give something away for free and the players cry ''gief me moar!",
    Just because something is free doesn't mean it's good. If I give you a free burger that I've burnt to a crisp, thrown on the ground, and then picked back up and put on a moldy bun, I don't think you're going to be too excited about it.

other Companies gave up on even doing this and will now just charge for a DLC after saying they wouldn't, that it was all covered in the "optional" sub but instead they moved the goalposts by calling the upcoming Expansion something different.
    Which companies are you talking about? ZMO with ESO? Because if so, that's a bit of a different situation than you're presenting. It's similarly brought on plenty of criticism from fans, and IMO some of it rightfully so, but the situation with ESO is far different than what's been going on with Rift.

Don't try to distract from Rifts issues by bringing up issues in other MMO's. That smokescreen doesn't work anymore.

No, but when you have folks so bored of the game and the lack of max level content currently released and available for play that they're working on achievements, causing massive support backlogs as they put in tickets for the countless broken achievements that still haven't been fixed (because they're so low on the priority list, which is fine), you have problems.

Everyone here knows post-launch content is coming, dude. Let's not pretend we're all retards who have never played an MMO in our lives before. And let's not play the, "BUT I AM JUST POSTING IN CASE SOME RANDOM PASSERBY READS THIS!" nonsense. You're discussing something with folks posting in this forum. Talk to them/us. If you're spending your posts talking to these mysterious readers, it's never going to be possible to have an actual productive discussion.

Deleted
    I'm actually surprised it's still going. Other failed MMOs have been put of their misery alot sooner than this.

I'll be logging in next week to check the raids out and that's it. If they aren't polished then that whole "delayed for polish" bullshit means nothing. If they are then well that will be a first. Can't really say I'm excited about doing Rise of the Phoenix just upscaled. And considering how easy the Fortress Siege LFR one was I don't expect anything special from Tartaric Depths.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-03-22 at 04:56 PM.

I'm gonna miss playing a Bard/Tac. I had a lot of fun with that soul.

Deleted
    RIP WoW killer(say hi to SWTOR, GW, AoC and what not). You tryed hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Teevo View Post
    I'm gonna miss playing a Bard/Tac. I had a lot of fun with that soul.
    Yeah, I miss my bard. Generally hate rogue archtypes, but Bard was always super duper fun to me. Uninstalled the game from my SSD because I was hardly playing and needed to make some room, but may reinstall just for the odd-dungeon run/IA. Because hot damn have I had an urge to jump in again, even without the expansion.

you know things are bad when even the community ambassadors are a sham....