Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    Most likely means that skilled players will get it first.
    I'm not sure how, but you managed to get it completely backwards. If they don't normalize the gear levels required, then the outcome will be that gear will be more significant than skill, and that ultimately the challenge will be meaningless, not unlike the Brawler's Guild.

Finished all of the Diablo 3 challenge dungeons within a day or release, these will be fun.

Can't wait until I blow this away day 1 having little to no idea what is actually going on and basically being carried by my gear.

Y'know like every other one of these "super hard challenges" they've put in the game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazuchika View Post
    Can't wait until I blow this away day 1 having little to no idea what is actually going on and basically being carried by my gear.

Y'know like every other one of these "super hard challenges" they've put in the game.
    I just hope they add a few anti-derp mechanics which can kill you regardless of item level if you ignore tactics.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

I don't complain about that part, but some people don't like it. I would prefer it to be a challenge from the start and remain a challenge, in other words, scaling. And the name itself here is SOLO challenges, and also rewards no ilvl loot, just appearance. So it's not logical to compare it to relevant raids.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    I do wonder how well this is tuned for tank or healer specs. Balance is often an issue for Blizzard, things like this is were they really drop the ball.
    If I remember correct, there are different challenges for all three roles. So healer/tank will probably have a challenge similar to the proving grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    just like the green fire for warlocks you

can go in to start, be very skilled and get it

or come in later and be somewhat skilled with alot of gear

or come in last minute with tons of gear and meh skill
    If you did it while before the end of MoP, it didn't matter what your gear level was- you could either go through the motions, or you couldn't.

If you got Kan'rethad in one phase or three, it didn't matter- the script was entirely the same and the fight never changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuchika View Post

I too look forward to popping a potion, pushing crusade and playing guitar hero until I get a sweet new skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Narzok View Post
    going by the post on the front page, the solo challenge gets easier with better gear.

opinions?

PS: i know it's supposed to be something special to have, but that can be done without favoring high ilvl,
    and in my opinion, high ilvl goes against the idea of a solo challenge in a mmo.
    the best gear comes from group activities, so a solo challenge should not require above average gear.

TL;DR: "here, have this solo challenge that is only doable after doing a lot of group content"
    Your logic isn't very sound here. Why should adding solo content somehow exclude any group content you've done? That doesn't really make sense.

i sure hope so.
    If they're basing it off the warlock green fire quest then it'll be doable in less gear. My Warlock alt did it in LFR gear from the patch the quest came out in. Not even full ToT lfr gear either. Probably won't even require you to step foot into normal mode... though I wonder how heavy the gear requirement will be now that they've added the -forged system into the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sethman75 View Post
    I'm glad there is some challenging solo content but i reckon its stupid to give the advtange to the players with the highest gear.

Should be skill based, hence the challenge part
    Well like everything else will be challenge for first months before you get more and more gear (or eventually buffs to your toon)

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxum View Post
    If I remember correct, there are different challenges for all three roles. So healer/tank will probably have a challenge similar to the proving grounds.
    I am sure there will be a role specific challenge. Even with that if you look at the proving grounds as an example a resto druid could just drop a mushroom and get their 30 waves almost completely with that. So I am curious to see how big the gap is between the easiest or hardest specs.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by chronia View Post
    It might just work like the warlock green fire Quest in MoP, which was done in low ilvl gear (non raid gear) by some that either practised alot / mastered the class. While alot of ppl did it in ToT or even SoO raid gear, esp when they didn't main a warlock but did want to do the quest for the achie / the experience.
    That fight when it was current, even in SoO gear, was really challenging since it was extremely mechanic heavy and required precision timing and execution so you didn't get one shot. Having higher level gear made it go a little faster and made the Felhound phases a little easier but didn't let you skip any mechanics or cheese it in any way.

I really like the challenging fights and hope these encounters are like that.

Quote Originally Posted by chronia View Post
    It might just work like the warlock green fire Quest in MoP, which was done in low ilvl gear (non raid gear) by some that either practised alot / mastered the class. While alot of ppl did it in ToT or even SoO raid gear, esp when they didn't main a warlock but did want to do the quest for the achie / the experience.
    That last fight felt all over the fight and RNG related. I had one lock I did it in SoO Raid Finder gear (decided to just boost my existing one because I didn't want to level) which struggled and took several tries. The other one I had at 100 since expansion and was in whatever craftables + a couple earlier ToES / MS gear and had an easier time doing it.

Completing the solo is, well, solo.
    That is exactly what they said it will be.

If you read between the lines on anything solo, ever, you'll notice a group component. It's black and white, literally. It always has been.

This thread doesn't need to exist.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

7+ Year Old Account
    going by the post on the front page, the solo challenge gets easier with better gear.

opinions?

PS: i know it's supposed to be something special to have, but that can be done without favoring high ilvl,
    and in my opinion, high ilvl goes against the idea of a solo challenge in a mmo.
    the best gear comes from group activities, so a solo challenge should not require above average gear.

TL;DR: "here, have this solo challenge that is only doable after doing a lot of group content"
    Unless you want to have the challenge scale with gear, which can create alot of problems, then you kind of have to set a specific output requirement. It will proberly be mostly like the legendary weapon questline in the past, where you could do them with not amazing gear, but you still had to do good dmg, healing and show good tanking skillz. I don't think it is unfair to demand, that you have some gear, especially since you can get quite high amount of gear without having to do anything organized.

World of Warcraft is still an MMO and Blizzard kind of expect people to do group content. They don't expect you do be in an organized raiding guild, but if you want to be good or have luxury items, they kind of expect you to do mythic+ and some pugging of other content.

The challenge is still a 100% solo challenge. You don't have to force 4 other people to come with you and do it, it is all up to you and your own skill. The challenge will proberly require much more then just having a high amount of dps/hps, but will require you to react to things, make good decisions when it comes to CDs and hopefully require you to set a plan. So even with high item lvl gear, you will hopefully not beat it on your first blind try. So Blizzard are delivering on what they promised. You can do it solo, but WoW is an MMO, so it is not unfair for Blizzard to expect that you have done some group content prio to the challenge.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Deleted
    Meh. Most of the artifact looks are completely retarded anyway; all my toons have mogged their artifacts into far, far better looking weapons from the past expansions. Just another example of the "glitter instead of content" policy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Content can't always be tailored for the lowest common denominator.
    We don't have specifics, what kind of gear people will be required to have to beat it,
    personally I hope it'll require some 7.2 gear. My currently most active non-raid char has i878, and thats without setting foot in a raid. I'd be very disappointed if the challenge is doable by that character at 7.2 launch.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2017-03-21 at 06:10 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    That just defeats the point of of a Solo challenge now does it... yes this info should be correct as I've seen the skins and the solo skin isn't even the best looking in most cases (opinion).
    As with all the other skins, Blizzard have never said that anything past the first apperance in a row is supposed to be solo-based. They said that you can get the apperance they showed at Blizzcon through a hard solo challenge, but anything past that, it simply up to them. But don't worry, it is not like people who kill heroic kil'jaeden is gonna get a free skin without having done the solo challenge first.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Capping item level works. A way to lock the difficulty. Anything else misses the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Content can't always be tailored for the lowest common denominator.
    We don't have specifics, what kind of gear people will be required to have to beat it,
    personally I hope it'll require some 7.2 gear. My currently most active non-raid char has i878, and thats without setting foot in a raid. I'd be very disappointed if the challenge is doable by that character at 7.2 launch.
    Agreed with this. Sorry guys, but making everything easy makes a dull game.