Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    I'm willing to wager those who feel he shoudl be way better at fighting are all familiar with the comic book seris, and those that loved the fight scenes or at least weren't put off by them are cluelss on the comics?
    I thought they adequately portrayed Danny as unbeatable until the final fight. While sometimes he looked like he was in trouble there was no one who actually beat him in the series.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    I just love the actress who plays Madame Gao. She nails the role well and she's probably the only one on the show that can act.
    Definitely one of the high lights of the show. She was quite good.

well not everyone can handle the gangasta/black harlem thing, it's a particular taste, sort of like gangsta italian mafia isn't everybodies thing. If you don't find that sort of thing (or people) interesting, LC is going to appear weak, but if you do, its very strong. The acting was best in LC and DD of the lot... i think overall the cast of LC did the best at acting, but DD main leads shone the most. In the first season anyway - not sure about the reporter though
    I did like Luke Cage but its still the weakest of the 4 shows.

Good characters, good story, my god tho the fightsceans, they arnt bad but they dont hold a candle to dd, IF should have had the best fight cenes in the netflix mcu. JJ and LC don't have much fighting skill, so fight scenes don't need a lot of effort. In DD Charlie cox trained for the combat and did a lot of the stunts,he was in costume most of the time, so if they had to body swap they could. This made the action fast pace.

IF is supposed to be the most skilled fighter of the group, a master at martial arts, i didn't get this at all, one could easy just look at it and assume he power was yellow glowey shit that gave him better strength and reflexes, weakest mcu show for me, not bad but not great, tho i seem to like Luke Cage a lot more than most.

They diden't need Finn to play Dany, they needed someone who knew martial arts.
    Last edited by Ilikegreenfire; 2017-03-21 at 05:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't quite agree with that, to me he is as believable as any other super hero, and quite likeable too, more likeable than all the others. Maybe I relate to him most.. but are any of them believable? who knows what a Zenn master chi warrior trained in one of the heavens is actually like?
    He is literally the only one that I can't relate to, or even understand. DD has all sorts of internal and external strife from his own beliefs and those of the people he interacts with, JJ has severe trauma that clearly impacts her daily life, LC is a man finding and choosing a path to walk down in his life.

What does IF have? His convictions fall apart the second he comes across anything that conflicts with them, his moral compass is practically non-existent, and after so much shit is done to him he still doesn't learn to stop being so idiotically trusting of everyone. To give an example of the inconsistency that I'm talking about: He mistrusts Bakuto upon meeting him, but still trusts the Meachums. The Meachums at that point had given him an abundance of reasons to mistrust them, but he just ignores all of that.

His powers have nothing to do with why I find him completely unbelievable, it is his character. He is too aware at times to come across as innocent or naive, yet they still tried to sell him as being naive at times when he had no reason to be.

At best Danny seems like a young child, which is something I cannot relate to nor understand.

(I know I'm really fixated on the inconsistency of Danny trusting others as gripe about the character; I actually do have major trust issues, which is a large part of why the character seems all the more unbelievable to me).
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2017-03-21 at 07:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    His powers have nothing to do with why I find him completely unbelievable, it is his character. He is too aware at times to come across as innocent or naive, yet they still tried to sell him as being naive at times when he had no reason to be.

At best Danny seems like a young child, which is something I cannot relate to nor understand.

(I know I'm really fixated on the inconsistency of Danny trusting others as gripe about the character; I actually do have major trust issues, which is a large part of why the character seems all the more unbelievable to me).
    Interesting, i on the other hand am quite a trusting person, and have been known to give 2nd, 3rd even 4th chances to some people, especially those i've knwon for a long time. I usually give people the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes I'm considered naive by others, but i'm all too aware of the weakness of human character and forgiving/understanding or at least readiness to be so usually comes first, although its on a person to person basis

There are some people though i'm instnatnly suspicious off or a wary off, and while I'd give them a fair chance, I have 6th sense/gut feeling sometimes that keeps me wary of them, and it usually proves right.

I can understand him giving the Meachams, his only connection to the modern world more chances than they deserve, coming back gets him into a real identity struggle -who is he? Iron fist or Danny Rand? and the meecahams play a key role - Joy and Ward turn out to be worth trusting, Bakuto on the other hand does not, yet it's not black and white with Bakuto either, he's not obvious poison like Gaou is and yet he won't take no for an answer. I like how they portrayed Kun'Lun's stance on the hand - we don't get an explanation, just that the Hand is evil and must be destroyed - we are given an opportunity to doubt this heaven's position on the hand when the secret is believed and it's a classic situation in religious circles. e.g. your bible tells you sex before marriage or homosexuality is wrong - but there seems no obvious reason why this is the case - do you trust God's word/command on this or do you only follow it when it makes sense to you.. it's also a classic parent thing. Parent tells you something is bad or wrong - but you don't understand why or how.. tempted by the circumstance or persuasive seduction - do you betray and disobey their instruction because you don't understand? or do you trust them and abstain even though you don't get why?!

This is shown well here. I also understand Danny's rage because of his trauma and how unsettling being in new york becomes after everyone is trying to kill him, then also falling in love something his training never prepares him for as he was denied attachment.The vision of the sensay in the earlier parts warns him that there is one area/adversary he has not been tested against yet. He is such a pure heart - the purest of the 4.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Definitely one of the high lights of the show. She was quite good.
    yes, she didn't appear as dangerous as I thought she might be. Danny seems to be able to cut through tougher opponents more effectively than DD seems too - although DD's fight scenes seemed better, he struggled more - you had more of a senese he was in real danger than the IF was...and I think this was supposed to be a reflection on how good a fighter Danny is supposed to be. But if the choreography isn't up to reflect that.. secondly are you guys sure the choregraphy was that weak? I watched DD 1 and 2 before i saw Into the Badlands, and prior to ItB, i thought the fight scenes were really good, i'm not sure if i'd felt that way after watching ItB - is our view of IF coloured by that? I mean JJ and LC have no martial arts choreography ofc. only DD and IF - or maybe you're comparing him to all the martial arts shows and films you've seen and you just know well for a production that's been outstanding in nearly every department, that could have been at a higher standard?

Until i read all the comments about it, i would not have rated the fighting scenes that poorly. I for one enjoyed a lot of them, and some of htem were pretty awesome. Danny w ins his fights are you saying they just don't seem to be good or dangerous enough fights? Kahleen wasn't that convincing as a great martial artist - i didn't feel a sense of awe when i saw her fight, even in the rings, and was surprised she could take Bakuto. Well they win perhaps too well..but i'm thinking i'm going to watcfh this again. All the comments are turning my view on the show

Deleted
    So the origin story requires Danny to be a very bland character that is written in a very inconsistent manner? He isn't even remotely believable as a character, unlike many of the characters in the Netflix+Marvel shows.
    are you seriously argue now with "beliveable" about a show based on a COMIC?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Am I the only one that would watch the hell out of that show? Switch Chinese to Japanese, make it a show about a Samurai that goes to live with the Vikings and it would basically be my favourite show ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    13th Warrior had Antonio Banderas playing a muslim helping vikings.
    First thing that came to mind for me as well. 13th Warrior is such a great movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    im on episode 7 and so far i am really digging this series...

Eventho im a big martial arts fan the fact that this series has a fairly slow pace seems to work for me. As someone who knew nothing of IF prior to this series it's triggers my cruriosity.
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    are you seriously argue now with "beliveable" about a show based on a COMIC?
    Are you seriously that terrible at reading comprehension or did you just stop reading as soon as you saw the word believable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

But if the choreography isn't up to reflect that.. secondly are you guys sure the choregraphy was that weak? I watched DD 1 and 2 before i saw Into the Badlands, and prior to ItB, i thought the fight scenes were really good, i'm not sure if i'd felt that way after watching ItB - is our view of IF coloured by that? I mean JJ and LC have no martial arts choreography ofc. only DD and IF - or maybe you're comparing him to all the martial arts shows and films you've seen and you just know well for a production that's been outstanding in nearly every department, that could have been at a higher standard?

Until i read all the comments about it, i would not have rated the fighting scenes that poorly. I for one enjoyed a lot of them, and some of htem were pretty awesome. Danny w ins his fights are you saying they just don't seem to be good or dangerous enough fights?
    They're terrible fights. "Winning" doesn't matter, it looks likes the dude doesn't know shit about martial arts, and he just wins cause he's the hero of the show, not cause he has any actual skill. For comparison, you couldn't pay me enough to truly piss off and provoke a fight with someone like Donnie Yen, Iko Uwais, Jet Li, etc, cause I know for a fact that they could kick my ass without breaking a sweat, even if I pulled a knife or a club or brass knuckles or some shit. But offer me a hundred bucks to provoke a fight with Iron Fist here? Yeah, sure, I'll do it, cause I'm pretty sure I'd have a decent chance of winning, even unarmed.

Now, here's the thing-I know Finn isn't a martial artist, and that's okay. I don't expect Donnie Yen, Jet Li, Iko Uwais level fights out of him. But look at other actors in the MCU-Chris Evans, Sebastian Stan, Scarlett Johannsen...they're not real life martial arts experts either...but they at least put in enough training and effort to at least make it appear that they can fight well. Cap America, Bucky, Black Widow...based on what we've seen, they'd absolutely wipe the floor with Iron Fist. Same with Ben Affleck in Batman v Superman(sure, the movie itself wasn't great, but the scene with Batman vs all those thugs, fuck yeah), same with Chloe Grace Moretz back when she did Kick-Ass. I mean, hell, even Benedict Cumberbatch looked like a more skilled fighter playing Dr. freakin Strange and...well, that's just not right. I mean, if I imagine you putting Dr. Strange in a 1 on 1, hand to hand, no powers/magic fight against Iron Fist, there is absolutely no way I should be able to picture Dr. Strange kicking Iron Fist's ass...but based on the fight scenes from Dr. Strange vs the fight scenes from Iron Fist, I'm fairly certain Iron Fist wouldn't win that match up.

What does IF have? His convictions fall apart the second he comes across anything that conflicts with them, his moral compass is practically non-existent, and after so much shit is done to him he still doesn't learn to stop being so idiotically trusting of everyone. To give an example of the inconsistency that I'm talking about: He mistrusts Bakuto upon meeting him, but still trusts the Meachums. The Meachums at that point had given him an abundance of reasons to mistrust them, but he just ignores all of that.
    He is a kid in some ways, yeah. He considers the Meachums his family, all he has left. He never had a normal life and doesn't know how to relate to anything. He was a home schooled kid who then swapped to a monastery life. As he said, he knew he was empty, so he focused on the quest to Iron Fist, and when he attained it he was still empty. He was busy clinging to the little shreds of his old life, which made him stupid as a puppy dog. I think he did a decent job of portraying the character, but I think they did a poor job of presenting/ explaining it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    I just love the actress who plays Madame Gao. She nails the role well and she's probably the only one on the show that can act.
    I like Gao, but I didn't think she was allied with the Hand, so that seemed a bit off at first. In DD, the Hand was the Japanese guys and Gao was a different faction.

Plus, I figured she was a dragon fucking with humanity out of boredom or something...

- - - Updated - - -

One other thing I forgot, he got his Iron Fist, then saw that the Gate was open, so left to find his path.

Ignoring all the personality stuff, it really seems like the monks have the stupidest timeframe known. They train a bunch of folks, select the best fighter, send him to earn the Iron Fist from the Dragon Undying... with like, 3 minutes left before the gate opens and the new IF is supposed to protect them from legions of Hand? It really doesn't seem like he would be a very good guard anyway. Plus, there's a ton of monks that may only be the second best through 38th best fighters, should be handy vs Hand.

And lastly, the series utterly failed to explain why Kun Lun is important as one of the Pillars of Heaven or whatnot.

And more lastly, that Iron Fist in the 40's or whatever was incredibly bad at killing a few soldiers...
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

i liked it.. i'm not a comic book fan but i like the cinematic adaptations of a lot of them.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

I have seen 8 of the episodes now. I keep hoping it will magically become better. The writing, acting and fighting in it is just awful though. This is easily the worst of the Netflix Marvel series. So far it is putting up some serious competition for worst marvel movie too. Ghost Rider 2 might be dethroned.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Finished 13/13 last night.

I liked the show. So far I've liked all of the netflix marvel hero shows. Cant wait for Defenders.
    13 hours well spent.

Personally I have only watched the first episode (watching more later) and I'm enjoying it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post

One other thing I forgot, he got his Iron Fist, then saw that the Gate was open, so left to find his path.

Ignoring all the personality stuff, it really seems like the monks have the stupidest timeframe known. They train a bunch of folks, select the best fighter, send him to earn the Iron Fist from the Dragon Undying... with like, 3 minutes left before the gate opens and the new IF is supposed to protect them from legions of Hand? It really doesn't seem like he would be a very good guard anyway. Plus, there's a ton of monks that may only be the second best through 38th best fighters, should be handy vs Hand.

And lastly, the series utterly failed to explain why Kun Lun is important as one of the Pillars of Heaven or whatnot.

And more lastly, that Iron Fist in the 40's or whatever was incredibly bad at killing a few soldiers...
    Iin the Ultimate spiderman cartoon portrayal, Danny gets into trouble for leaving Kun'Lun and i think turns out that the place is attacked when he returns, the hand is in there, but it is there through betrayal of another, Danny gets a bit of a telling off, but eventual it comes out that he can do his job of protecting Kun'Lun , fulfiliing his dettinry and discovering more of himself in the outside world as well as defeating the Hand once and for all. He gets the blessing of his teacher and the elders as he fights with spidery, nova, power and cat girl

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh. I find it to be my least favorite of the four. I really felt shafted by the fight scenes. I mean, this is the Iron Fist for fucks sake. Fight scenes should be awesome. DD still holds top spot for me. It hits all the right spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    Meh. I find it to be my least favorite of the four. I really felt shafted by the fight scenes. I mean, this is the Iron Fist for fucks sake. Fight scenes should be awesome. DD still holds top spot for me. It hits all the right spots.
    well it's a shame that it isn't at the level it should be.. for a person like me who had no idea the iron fist was supposed to be the best fighter in the marvel universe, i didnt' mind the fight scenes at all, i had no idea they were meant to be like the best fighting in the MCU. So naturally wasn't disappointed by them, as I am willing to wager, all those here who haven't been put off by the fight scenes didn't really know about this, and without that expectation, actually found the fighting quite enjoyable and in enough instances, cool to a level of WOW !... although as i said earlier, it seemed too easy for him ( he made it look easy, you could view that as a compliment) - which I reckon was their way of showing us he's a great fighter - but you guys are saying the better way to show that was too actually have stunning choreography of superhuman proportions like in Into the Badlands

Now you have me imagining some really super cool fighting sequence. Check out this FInal Fantasy XIV new expansion trailer. I guess something on this level of super human awesomeness?

Saying this, the fight things have some amazing acrobatics, they don't go above that to super human abilities.. is that what disappoints people? As a realistic fighter the scenes are awesome and they don't seem super human, like in the FFXIV trailer or many chinese and japanese martial arts films like the classic Crouching Tiger hidden dragon. Maybe that stuff will come later, but it may be they were trying to keep this as realistic as possible from a human perspective, with the super human stuff only coming from fist abilities like that awesome scene when he smashes his fist into the ground and like shatters everything with an awesome shockwave.

if you have that level of expectation you probably found it disappointing, but from a real life perspective, it was pretty cool, at least too me, maybe the super human fighting speed and style will increase later - we have observed this danny hasn't fully grown into the super human extent of his powers, in fact he is really at the beginners level of it, even a hand member is able to teach him a few new things, all be it one of the leaders of the hand.

Conclusion: The fighting is really great guys, it's just not unrealistic, or enough to pass as not being humanly impossible, like at the edge of a persons ablity to do stuff, and this is an iron fist who's just gotten his powers, and not grown into them or himself fully yyet. I did enjoy the fight scenes, and i still find them cool when i look back at the whole thing
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2017-03-22 at 09:49 AM.

one thing I need to add to my disliking of this show the very noticeable "B-Team" feel to everything, meaning the writing, the editing and the choreography all felt like it was done by the left over production unit during the filming DD and Luke Cage.