Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The friends declined, but asked that the restaurant donate the share of proceeds to the Orange County Immigrant Youth United, a Santa Ana-based organization that advocates for immigrants living in the country illegally.

What the hell? That organisation needs to be shut down asap.

Unless the waiter was asked (forced) to ask these questions, he had no reason to be doing so. For all intents and purposes, from the context of this story, he had it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by AbortedGodFetus View Post
    I live three blocks away from this Saint Marc place. Local residents get some decent discounts at several of the places around here (that list is way dated). If they mentioned they were from around the area I could see how being asked about your residency would come up and someone could decide to ride the trigger bus over a misunderstanding. If the waiter wasn't new s/he would have waited on countless numbers of tourists from Latin American countries on top of the large Hispanic population locally.

The Yelp witch hunt is more than a little sad.
    What witch hunt? Again NO ONE has denied this happened not even the accused. What part of that can you idiots not get through your thick skulls?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizr View Post
    The friends declined, but asked that the restaurant donate the share of proceeds to the Orange County Immigrant Youth United, a Santa Ana-based organization that advocates for immigrants living in the country illegally.

But that would be like nazisism!

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    I already said that was wrong, but I also don't Believe it happened. However people in this thread have said that a waiter isn't supposed to communicate at all.
    Racist employees tend to not result in good PR. This restaurant is doing significantly more harm to its reputation by claiming this happened than if they simply denied it and defended themselves. There is no benefit to them in lying about this.

Seems weird to me that a waiter would say something like that unless they were explicitly told to.

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Most likely they were trying to take advantage of a discount for locals. He asked for proof of residency within a certain city or ZIP code. They got caught cheating the system and SJWs did the rest.
    The restuarant offered them discounts and other things as an apology and all were refused. If they were trying to get a free ride they are doing a terrible job of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerossi View Post
    I'm amazed nobody yet has pointed out the obvious response to this waiter's question( if it happened like it was reported in the OP ). When asked, I would insist to first see the waiter' s ID to make sure HE was in the US legally and then require to see the back of kitchen staff's green cards/ documentation. Being California , preeeetttyyy good chance one of the dishwashers or bussers may have a problem with that requirement.
    Have a friend that's here on visa. Some random douchebag one day asked to see his proof of citizenship. His response was "Show me your birth certificate and I'll show you my documentation. Until then piss off."
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    How is this even legal? Isn't that pretty much a conspiracy to abet illegal activity? Doing so openly and being considered in a positive light is just bizarre.
    Exactly, How can you be an organization that is Pro something that is Illegal. Lets donate more money to them, so they can bring more Illegals in...Yay

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I have to agree, what one private person that was part of one private business did one time isn't a huge deal. Now, if it happens a lot, like the massive spike in anti-Semeitic bomb threats, or represents the public at large, like Trump's plummeting poll numbers, it's a bigger deal.
    This isn't an isolated incident and considering how many posts you have on this forum I suspect you know damn well this isn't an isolated incident. Every single time something like this happens you and the rest of the bigots hop into the thread to whiteknight for deplorable behavior and excuse it by saying it isn't common behavior despite the very fact that the sheer number of and frequency of threads like these say otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    A, No they don't, since they fired the guy.
    B, Even if they didn't, No they don't - They are Illegal immigrants, not legal one's.
    And C, None of this matters in the slightest, because its a restaurant - the quality and price of the food is what matters, nothing else.
    So food is more important than common human decency?

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Exactly, How can you be an organization that is Pro something that is Illegal. Lets donate more money to them, so they can bring more Illegals in...Yay
    Who says the organization is helping people who to break the law rather than who have broken the law?
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Jakisuaki View Post
    Seems weird to me that a waiter would say something like that unless they were explicitly told to.
    The entire story is unbelievable. He probably said something semi bigoted, but I doubt he went and asked for identification.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Why, what's wrong with asking questions?
    Essentially its not your job as a waiter.

IF a waiter wanted to add a personal touch and engage the customer on a personal level for the purpose of a high(er) tip and/or to get good marks for the business a person must possess a basic set of social skills to deem whether or not that is appropriate.

Giving the benefit of the doubt to the waiter for a second (though he doesn't deserve it) and assuming he is a social retard. He could have simply asked "So, where are you guys from?" Engaging? [CHECK] Appropriate [CHECK]

Asking the question the way he did is not likely to get a positive response from anyone.

Personally I think there is ground for criminal charges here. Conspiracy to commit fraud. Acting as a federal/government official/employee.

A restaurant has no legal responsibility to check someone's ID for any other reason other than DOB, IF they are ordering alcohol or seated somewhere where alcohol is served openly.

Now getting impersonating an officer/agent to stick... might be a bit of a stretch. But there is a level of assumed authority in his demand/request. Why else would someone ask such information if not for official purposes.

What can be assumed by this is he acted for personal gain. Whether that gain was financial, or simply gets off on making people feel uncomfortable and/or IF they were in fact illegal gets off on mistreating people.

His intent is irrelevant he gathered personal and confidential information on false pretenses.

I would like to know how this would have played out had they in fact been illegal, or visitors to the country without proof of residence. Its hard to misconstrue this for anything other than pure and simple racism.

Waiter is dumb deserved to be fired.

Customers are a bit of drama queens.

Diana Carrillo said the encounter left all of them shaken. “I’ve never felt so judged in my life…. It sends a chill through your entire body.”
    I mean really... oh noez. Welcome to life. You are surrounded by assholes nearly 24/7.

My care cup is pretty empty on this one.

I actually clicked on the original article link and lost all care when I saw the link in the Related article section. Title of that one is: "L.A. immigrant says teenager duped him into giving a ride that got him busted along the Mexican border".

Pretty thinly veiled political propaganda going on here. As far as the original article goes, I wouldn't be surprised if the waiter asked for a proof of ID for a drink order and they got bent out of shape over it because someone was underage. They only state the 1 woman was 23 then post her mother's age. I find it odd they left the info about the other 3 women completely out of the story if this was really what it's being laid out as.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzybacon1512 View Post
    So why add Hispanic into your comment? Come on now. "Nice try". You are funny and entertaining. I didn't deflect anything. The article is a shiity race bating article. No where in the article does it prove any racist intention of the waiter.
    It was in the article, was it not?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cizr View Post

That would be like saying you should shut down all law firms who represent people accused of crimes...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    There are organizations that are pro-marijuana, pro gambling, and even in favor of loosening gun-control laws. It's no different than any of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    The restuarant offered them discounts and other things as an apology and all were refused. If they were trying to get a free ride they are doing a terrible job of it.
    Yeah I see that now. Was just a theory.

I still do not agree with a Facebook mob downvoting the restaurant into oblivion.

Deleted
    So food is more important than common human decency?
    'common human decency' - Are you the sort of person who does not understand that it's Illegal immigrant, not undocumented?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    That would be like saying you should shut down all law firms who represent people accused of crimes...
    Lawyers who are found to be complicit of crimes are disbarred...

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    What witch hunt?
    Giving a business that you've never been to one star on Yelp because you heard second hand that a waiter might have said something inappropriate is a witch hunt. Not sure how else to look at it.
    Again NO ONE has denied this happened not even the accused. What part of that can you idiots not get through your thick skulls?
    Last I checked the accused hasn't been identified. Has that changed or are you trying to conflate the business with the individual? Firing the employee and offering a portion of your proceeds to be donated is just good damage control regardless of what was actually said at the time. There are people on social media claiming to have been at Saint Marc when the whole thing went down and it was actually born out of the waiter wanting I.D. for alcohol. Nothing to do with residency at all.