Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    People seem to forget that Obama did something similar when he pushed his healthcare bill through.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Totally fake topic. Trump never said he was coming after them. He said they will lose their seat meaning that they will be voted out of office by all the people who voted Trump in to repeal Obamacare.
    This is not true.

He did say he was coming after them, using such words as “I’m going to come after you”. Yes, that is an exact quote. Again, he spoke rashly, without thinking, and his words had to be translated via Spicer in the usual "what he meant was..."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGOAT View Post
    Well, I'm not going to disagree with you.

Trump did say he wants to "defeat isis", a statement which makes no fucking sense whatsoever. How does one defeat an ideology, exactly? Fucking muppet...
    Well above poster said he's pumping 550billion into defense...seems like enough money to wipe out an ideology.
    Hell of a lot of money.

O and when defense spending goes up markets tend to see new life and go up. Not sure if it's related.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashtronaut View Post
    O and when defense spending goes up markets tend to see new life and go up. Not sure if it's related.
    Wall Street loves many of the things Trump says he wanted to do, such as cut regulations, give tax breaks to companies, and no longer require them to spend money to insure their employees. He's also putting a lot of Goldman Sachs and CEO's on his cabinet, which Wall Street also likes.

Problem is, Wall Street is a fickle bitch and will drop you if they don't think you can do it. Which is why the stock market recently had its worst day since October, based primarily on the speculation that Trump's loss of political capital after TrumpCare fails (speculation) and his loss of credibility in general (pretty much fact at this point) puts his promised actions at risk.

The increase in defense spending that will increase stock prices will be a part, but his actions across the board (either direction) will drown it out, like ripples in the ocean.

15+ Year Old Account
    Totally fake topic. Trump never said he was coming after them. He said they will lose their seat meaning that they will be voted out of office by all the people who voted Trump in to repeal Obamacare.
    Meaning he would do everything in his power to make them lose their seat ie. come after them.
    Words and meaning mr Orlong you are not the greatest at the two.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well above poster said he's pumping 550billion into defense...seems like enough money to wipe out an ideology.
    Hell of a lot of money.

O and when defense spending goes up markets tend to see new life and go up. Not sure if it's related

To some degree, sure... More importantly; however, there is a direct correlation to the price of oil if there's conflict. If USA declares war, oil would once again be in the $100/per barrel range (likely foreshadowing here).

So with North Korea testing nukes seemingly weekly, and ISIS being more influential than ever you think now is the best time to cut military spending?

No one wants military spending until you need military spending.

You have the biggest military in the world by FAR. Stop trying to scare tactic your way into thinking you're right.

"How ever will we defeat those people in 30 year old toyotas with 50 year old guns on them? How ever will we defeat North Korea? We know they are the biggest military and most advanced on the earth!"

You're going to have to cut military, thats the only way the US is going to pull intself out of debt and actually function properly again. Instead you'll go cut Enviromental protection and after school programs for kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't matter. He will get something to pass. And it will be as bad as or worse than it currently is, because the only group preventing him from getting enough votes is the hardline Republicans who want a full repeal.

This is a relatively common tactic, and was often pushed by congressional leaders. In almost all cases, it's toothless, because in the end, people care about their party being in power. They don't really care who that person is, just their political affiliation.

Most of the representatives and Senators who oppose Trumpcare live in very reliable districts. They are not worried, and any attempts to unseat them, may actually cause the GOp as a whole more problems. It's not going to happen, and it's an empty threat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    This is a relatively common tactic, and was often pushed by congressional leaders. In almost all cases, it's toothless, because in the end, people care about their party being in power. They don't really care who that person is, just their political affiliation.

Most of the representatives and Senators who oppose Trumpcare live in very reliable districts. They are not worried, and any attempts to unseat them, may actually cause the GOp as a whole more problems. It's not going to happen, and it's an empty threat.
    I think you're right that it's an empty threat, but I wouldn't put it past Trump to try anyway. He's not your standard calculating Republican; he just stumbles unwittingly into success.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    I think you're right that it's an empty threat, but I wouldn't put it past Trump to try anyway. He's not your standard calculating Republican; he just stumbles unwittingly into success.
    Well, others have tried, and almost always fail miserably. When it comes to congressional races, people do not like drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    It doesn't matter. He will get something to pass.
    I have to agree republicans as a group have proven to be spineless cowards when it comes to Trump, it will be interesting to see how those rural voters feel about Trump once they lose their healthcare.

Deleted
    That's not dictatorial behaviour at all... /rolleyes

Deleted
    So with North Korea testing nukes seemingly weekly, and ISIS being more influential than ever you think now is the best time to cut military spending?

No one wants military spending until you need military spending.
    $580 billion last year and yet you still couldn't use it to get rid of ISIS or quell NK. What do you really think another ~$50 billion will really do?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    People seem to forget that Obama did something similar when he pushed his healthcare bill through.
    Something "similar". I very much doubt that. Let's see that source.

You have to be a complete idiot to not realize the defacto head of the republican party is going to make the GOP donate heavily to other republicans contending these seats. It's a direct threat with him saying he will make sure they're not re-elected.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    You have to be a complete idiot to not realize the defacto head of the republican party is going to make the GOP donate heavily to other republicans contending these seats. It's a direct threat with him saying he will make sure they're not re-elected.
    Just going to leave this here.

“I’m going to come after you,” Mr. Trump told Representative Mark Meadows, Republican of North Carolina, a prime holdout and the chairman of the conservative Freedom Caucus, a hotbed of concern about the legislation, according to several people in the room who described his comments on condition of anonymity because the session was private. “I believe Mark and his group will come along, because honestly, a loss is not acceptable, folks.”

That's why there is such a system in place to stop dictators.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    Something "similar". I very much doubt that. Let's see that source.
    Surely you are not too lazy enough to find it for yourself. The internet is quite an astonishing tool.
    Have a wonderful day.

Quote Originally Posted by Promethieus View Post
    Ok. If the government can't cut anything at all, how are they going to get out of debt? I'm curious. They have to cut spending on SOMETHING. There's going to be outcry no matter what the government does to cut spending and get America out of debt. If you could choose, what would you choose to take America out of debt? Remember, they're TRILLIONS in debt.
    Howsabout reducing that disgusting amount on defense/military that we're INCREASING under Donald Dump's budget?