Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is Erdogan trying to manipulate the far right?

His more recent statements in the last two weeks fall squarely within what /pol is terrified of. It makes me wonder if he is trying to manipulate them in some way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    I think in his latest statement he said that "you won't be safe walking on the streets".

A big, gigantic wall on the Turkish border seems more necessary than one on the US-Mexican at this point.

EDIT for reference: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7642941.html
    Last edited by DrMcNinja; 2017-03-22 at 11:57 AM.

If he starts yelling, "They're takin' our jerbs!!!" then we shall know for sure.

Deleted
    He is essetially the same as Duterte. The strong man who murders or imprisons his opponents.

Turkey is in a fragile state. They are at war with the PKK and ISIS within thier borders. Thier army got shown to be a joke and muscled out by the Kurds. Thier state intelligence is too busy hunting down Gulenists to track ISIS cells.

Turkey used to be the great hope of the middle east. A beacon for what the countries there could be, but instead of Iraq and Syria becoming like Turkey, Turkey has become like them. Its unstable and in a permanent state of crisis.

Erdogan thrives on crisis and confrontation, he needs it to legitimise himself. But the chickens are coming home to roost.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post
    I think in his latest statement he said that "you won't be safe walking on the streets".

A big, gigantic wall on the Turkish border seems more necessary than one on the US-Mexican at this point.

EDIT for reference: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7642941.html

We're guarding that wall for decades now, battling with 10's of airspace violations DAILY and noone from Europe seems to care.
    Turkey is approaching a point that some Freedom and Democracy spreading might be needed.

15+ Year Old Account
    If the referendum go his way Turkey will join Belarus as the only undemocratic countries in Europe.
    Shame really.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    If the referendum go his way Turkey will join Belarus as the only undemocratic countries in Europe.
    Shame really.
    Don't forget Russia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Turkey is european now?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Don't forget Russia.
    Indeed how could I forget Russia where dissidents gets murdered or mysteriously die monthly.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course he is. Manipulation of the right is how right-wing politicians get elected. What, did you think their fears were based on reality?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Turkey is european now?
    Part of Turkey is in Europe, part of it is Asia. Even us North Americans know that.
    It really is shame that they haven't been allowed to join the EU "club" even though they applied in 1999.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-03-22 at 01:50 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Turkey is european now?
    The frontiers between Europe and Asia aren't as easily set in stone as an ocean clearly separating them. Turkey can be considered europe geographically, even because the middle east isn't even a continent. But, it certainly isn't part of the european union.

I gotta admit that his recent behaviour is extremely irrational, unless ofcourse his only intent is to isolate Turkey and strenghten his grasp on power

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    I gotta admit that his recent behaviour is extremely irrational, unless ofcourse his only intent is to isolate Turkey and strenghten his grasp on power
    Europe is having elections right now and its hilarious that during this, He is saying things like "Turkish people are Europes future, and that Turkish people should have lots of kids to populate Europe" I find it hilarious that /pol types of places are having a melt down, they are clearly being manipulated by him.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Part of Turkey is in Europe, part of it is Asia. Even us North Americans know that.
    It really is shame that they haven't been allowed to join the EU "club" even though they applied in 1999.
    God no, it would have been a huge mistake to let Turkey into the EU. I belive a quick regime change is in order, sadly the American President is a buffoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    "A shame"
    Yeah... Absolutely not.

Deleted
    Well, there is no group of people in existence more easy to manipulate than the far right.

Deleted
    Oh has the erdogan circus come to town again.

I hope it's not the same show as the last time it visited the netherlands :#

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Europe is having elections right now and its hilarious that during this, He is saying things like "Turkish people are Europes future, and that Turkish people should have lots of kids to populate Europe" I find it hilarious that /pol types of places are having a melt down, they are clearly being manipulated by him.
    I don't think elections will reflect in what some crackpot Turkish President says, the strongest reaction he'll get, is some nations removing dual citizenship for Turks, not really in his favor at all, besides neither the left centre or right parties accept the hysterical shit he's spewing.

His rather short term strategy is "winning" the referendum, after that he'll shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnoms View Post
    "A shame"
    Yeah... Absolutely not.
    Why pray tell? Is the EU an exclusive members only club?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    God no, it would have been a huge mistake to let Turkey into the EU. I belive a quick regime change is in order, sadly the American President is a buffoon.
    Why pray tell? Is the EU en exclusive members only club?