Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    You misunderstood his point, which I agree with. If the EU takes a hard stance, then it only serves as internal reinforcement of Erdogan his rhetoric. Within Turkey his strategy is a win-win. Internationally it's a disaster, but that's not what he or any Turks care about. This is all about the referendum that will turn him into the modern Sith Emperor.

Any negative reaction from political leaders within Europe will lead to a "See this? I told you so! They deny us! They deny our human rights!" towards his followers and sycophants.

It's exceptionally warped and will ultimately only lead to his own downfall.
    Exactly.
    Some times it's better to not say anything and let demagogs tear themselves apart. It's somewhat analogous to ignoring a petulant, whining teenager. Nothing you say or do will be interpreted as good so it's better they spend their steam before you try.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Politics isn't just about reacting. It's also about not reacting or reacting proportionally to a problem.

We can actually sit here and say nothing and watch Turkey destroy itself. We don't really need to say or do anything. And if we want to, it's more likely to be in the form of actions rather than words.
    We dont want Turkey to destroy itself, we would lose but at the end of the day Turkey would lose more. Much more, the vast majority of investments made in Turkey are from the EU. Interestingly enough the dutch does a hefty portion of it.

But if the Turks want to enter another century they are free to to do so. We can always find other trading partners they however will have a hard time to to the same.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Part of Turkey is in Europe, part of it is Asia. Even us North Americans know that.
    It really is shame that they haven't been allowed to join the EU "club" even though they applied in 1999.
    They never met the requirements.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Ah I see. Yup agree, he is just pandering the masses of followers which will server him in a short term until their standard of living plummet if he stay on coarse.
    Odds are he will tone down after the referendum but the price will be that he pissed of the entire EU with his North Korean rhetoric and that will take at least 5 years to fix.
    And if the refugee crisis is over before that, well shit out of luck for Sultan Erdogan. He got no cards to play.

- - - Updated - - -

Its in both and judging by that Turkey previously aspired to start the road on membership i think its clear what they consider themselves to be.
    Have you ever seen the episode of South Park called Dancing With Smurfs? It brings up the same thing I'm talking about, that no matter what you say or how you say it, it will be interpreted to fit the rethoric of the person you're trying to adress and turned against you.
    South Park is pretty good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Have you ever seen the episode of South Park called Dancing With Smurfs? It brings up the same thing I'm talking about, that no matter what you say or how you say it, it will be interpreted to fit the rethoric of the person you're trying to adress and turned against you.
    South Park is pretty good.
    Will look it up after I ding lvl 47 in vanilla on my day off
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    We dont want Turkey to destroy itself, we would lose but at the end of the day Turkey would lose more. Much more, the vast majority of investments made in Turkey are from the EU. Interestingly enough the dutch does a hefty portion of it.

But if the Turks want to enter another century they are free to to do so. We can always find other trading partners they however will have a hard time to to the same.
    We don't, but there are no moderate Turkish politicians with which to have a dialogue.
    Turkey will not learn unless they've gotten to experience the consequences of their choices, but those consequences can't come from us, it has to come from their own actions.
    At least that's what I think.

I'm sure China and Russia have no qualms trading with them. Either of those tend to pick up those that we leave.

Hell Turkey is the largest prison for journalists in the world. Turkey is a hell hole in every regard that is considered to be a criteria to be called a functioning democracy.
    Turkey was never a serious candidate since 1999. The EU gave Turkey that status because it suited NATO's needs.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    God no, it would have been a huge mistake to let Turkey into the EU. I belive a quick regime change is in order, sadly the American President is a buffoon.
    These "quick regime changes" are what fucked up Middle East...

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's hear some of those "requirements".

- - - Updated - - -

One could even say the EU is being a "bigot" then toward certain countries. Couldn't they?

- - - Updated - - -

Tsk tsk tsk... I thought the EU was about inclusiveness.
    Isn't that what the progressive left is all about?
    https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-e...-membership_en

Here's the requirements, took 5sec of google to find them.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    He is an extreme conservative right winger, so ofcourse he is.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's hear some of those "requirements".

- - - Updated - - -

One could even say the EU is being a "bigot" then toward certain countries. Couldn't they?

- - - Updated - - -

Tsk tsk tsk... I thought the EU was about inclusiveness.
    Isn't that what the progressive left is all about?
    The EU is a center right construction.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    His more recent statements in the last two weeks fall squarely within what /pol is terrified of. It makes me wonder if he is trying to manipulate them in some way.
    I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he's doing. Or trying to lower Ryanair flights to Turkey to 5€ :P

He is all talk, no action.
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

Deleted
    If the referendum go his way Turkey will join Belarus as the only undemocratic countries in Europe.
    Shame really.
    Turkey isn't Europe, most of it is in Asia, their capital too, their religion is typical asian middle eastern n their almost entire history has been aggression n invasions of Europe to make them kneel. Turkey is as un-European as you can get...

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed how could I forget Russia where dissidents gets murdered or mysteriously die monthly.
    Tell CIA to find another hobby than murdering opposition in Russia.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it is.
    Human rights
    Rule of law
    Freedom of speech
    etc
    etc

Or else your not welcome. Just like it should be.
    US has a bit to go on that list as well.
    Baltics deprived Russian minorities of citizenship, just for being Russian.

Rule of law? When they were pushing for overthrow of the democratically elected president in Ukraine? Resulted in civil war...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    Turkey is approaching a point that some Freedom and Democracy spreading might be needed.
    If that happens, Erdogan will liberate Incirlik and take over all the nukes there, then he will drop one on each US aircraft carrier in the Mediterranean, which ends up with the US retreating and suing for peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    If that happens, Erdogan will liberate Incirlik and take over all the nukes there, then he will drop one on each US aircraft carrier in the Mediterranean, which ends up with the US retreating and suing for peace.
    Yeah, because the nuclear codes are the same as the wifi password. Thank for your the reminder that you are not to be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Kinda hard to drop them on carriers in the Mediterranean as there aren't any in the Mediterranean at the moment.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    His more recent statements in the last two weeks fall squarely within what /pol is terrified of. It makes me wonder if he is trying to manipulate them in some way.
    Frankly I welcome his comments. Long may he continue to yell and bluster about the demographic replacement of Europe, because that's such a great way to red-pill half of Europe.

Make Istanbul Constantinople Again anyone ?
    Still not tired of winning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Part of Turkey is in Europe, part of it is Asia. Even us North Americans know that.
    It really is shame that they haven't been allowed to join the EU "club" even though they applied in 1999.
    No, it's really not. And they're really not European in any meaningful sense (Culture, race, politics, etc.).

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    Frankly I welcome his comments. Long may he continue to yell and bluster about the demographic replacement of Europe, because that's such a great way to red-pill half of Europe.

Make Istanbul Constantinople Again anyone ?
    Sorry, but I don't think most of mainland Europe will fall for Erdogan's tactics.
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2017-03-22 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Sorry, but I don't think most of mainland Europe will fall for Erdogan's tactics.
    Well, many of us frequently fall down laughing at his statements. This latest brain fart had him claiming europeans will not walk safely *anywhere in the world*. Unless that was a mistranslation, that was by far the greatest of his delusional statements so far.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    No, it's really not. And they're really not European in any meaningful sense (Culture, race, politics, etc.).
    When I stated "Part of Turkey is in Europe, part of it is in Asia" you claim that is false?
    As I stated before, it really is a shame for a people that claim to be so "progressive and inclusive" to be so biased towards someone else that is different than them.