Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    Actually, I would rather say that in general and on MMO-C in particular, the amount of readers/voters is tilted far to the "hardcore" end of players.
    The majority of casual players do not read fansites daily, while many hardcore players do - so they stay up to date on whats changing.

As such, these kind of players that do frequent a site like MMO-C more are likely also interested in other types of content then those that don't come here regularly.
    That is complete conjecture.

If you and I, and anyone else can look at the results of that poll and think, "Yeah that seems congruent with my experience." Then there isn't much reason to question its methods and validity.

I have already given credence to the fact that there is room for error, and any statistician would note those potential errors when/if reporting such information.

It is still reasonable to use such information (especially when you have no other sources available to you) to have a discussion within this "hardcore" community.

Especially given the fact that the question the OP poses is presented to that... wait for it... hardcore community. The discussion that takes place directly refute that information or confirm it. If the discussion refutes that... the OP may get additional information to persuade him into participating in such content or reaffirm his/her decision not to.

I find it absolutely hilarious that this community thinks themselves qualified enough to predict launch dates, Blizzard bankruptcy, player engagement, performance, etc. based on ZERO relevant information. Yet when something like a poll is done (which is realistically just about the only semi-relevant data available to you, me, or anyone else) you guys want to sit here and pick it apart. Despite the fact that (while your points are valid) it probably reflects the community as a whole or pretty close to it, with a relatively reasonable margin of error.

You can accept information whilst having a reasonable amount of skepticism regarding its completeness or correctness.

Yes he/she probably came to the right conclusion, even if the methods to get there are wrong. It doesn't change the discussion.

Now if you have a better way to poll or collect information that is going to produce a significantly different result, that's worthwhile discussion. But even if you account for all of these errors that may skew the data, and the data comes out similar... we'll still be asking the same question. "Were Micro Holidays a complete failure?"

I imagine they are great for RP, but without a solid reward, I'll probably skip them unless I have nothing else going on (RE: End of an expansion during the lull).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Not that I ever believed the whole "leveling used to take SKILL!!!"-trope, considering the AI has always remained the same and people only ever died to it due to being... well, new to the game, but they could use the affix-tech to make leveling more demanding for experienced players.
    I never did either, but it was never so easy that one could do it in their sleep... It never bored me out of my mind until it's current state, and now I can't even force myself to level that monk because it's just too fucking boring.

And for the record, I am by no means "new" to that old leveling experience, and I still died plenty of times on my way to 60 on Nost. It definitely was more difficult back then, it didn't "take skill" but you had to actually pay attention or you would die, now? You can do just about anything and get away with it.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-03-22 at 04:38 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    When these were first announced i was on the fence about these as most of them seemed like a waste of time. I know i will get some grumblings about how they are "fun" blah blah. Seems like as a whole the time spent on these could had been better utilized somewhere else. After looking at the poll on the front page it seems a majority do no like them at all. While i know the poll does not consult the whole wow populous but the results of a poll with nearly 40,000 votes and be taken lightly. Polls with a sample size this large tend to show the overall direction something went pretty well, and in the case of this it looks like it was a fail.
    I think your post is a complete failure.

Lighten up, buddy.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    What's the point of developing a new feature that is liked by maybe 10%?

If an existing feature is liked by 10%, that's fine, but a new one??? There are more productive uses of time. Like, pick a feature that will appeal to 50%.

10% for a new feature is absolutely a failure.
    All opinions here, but I see micro-holidays as only a little more than an environment feature, like weather effects. They're just...there. I think that the efforts spent on them equate to the participate rate they already planned.
    The way I see it, there were choices on the board including small content platforms (like this) and bigger endeavors that would appeal to or force participation (Nethershard farming). The micro-holidays were slotted for smaller patches, bigger features for bigger patches, etc.

I can't think of a feature that could appeal to 50% of players but require as little work and testing as what was given for micro-holidays.

When these were first announced i was on the fence about these as most of them seemed like a waste of time. I know i will get some grumblings about how they are "fun" blah blah. Seems like as a whole the time spent on these could had been better utilized somewhere else. After looking at the poll on the front page it seems a majority do no like them at all. While i know the poll does not consult the whole wow populous but the results of a poll with nearly 40,000 votes and be taken lightly. Polls with a sample size this large tend to show the overall direction something went pretty well, and in the case of this it looks like it was a fail.

In 10 years they'll be the kind of weird shit we look back on fondly. No they weren't a failure by any measurement.

Dalaran bar crawl was lots of fun. Had some fun using toys and costumes, met other players and saw their cool transmogs and had a chat. Arrived at the bar in Zangermarsh and it had me recollecting stories of PvP and levelling long ago with my friends. It was not a failure - these are the exact things it intended to accomplish.
    Volte 80 Frost DK--Cycloneduke 80 Holy Pally--Moardotz 80 Desto Warlock-- Dexterworgan 80 Assassination Rogue----Liadon 80 Feral Druid--Mumbles 70 Frost Mage--Bibleblack 70 Disc Priest--Dylli 70 DM Hunter--Krosa 70 Fury Warrior -- Slapntickle 70 Prot Warrior -- Okoi 80 Enha Shaman + 4 slave shamans multiboxed to 70 - Darksorrow EU PvP

Idea is great, but the implementation is frankly bizarre.

First, WoW is all about rewards, tokens for anything you do in the game. Any game works like that, doing something rewards you with a small bonus, even it its a single coin or point. In WoW there are so many kinds of rewards: regular loot, consumeables, AP, GR, gold, pets, transmog, toys, even little vanity items. Why couldn't those things give players anything? A small non-combat scarab from AQ event, a dino hat from Un'Goro?

Second, why the hell are those things in such remote places? If there is a fun event, put it in a place people actually would freaking BE. An experiment gone wrong unleashes tons of little elementals in Dalaran, Dragonriding championship in Stormheim, Wine making and tasting event in Suramar. Players would love that, but having to go to the middle of nowhere to "potentially" have some fun (which you could have somewhere else) for now rewards is just poor design.

Honest question, what is the point of micro holidays?

I have tried a few, they dont offer rewards, and are for 'fun' but they arent fun .... so they basically have no purpose and waste dev time.

I've enjoyed the micro holidays for what they are which is fun things to do outside of end game content.

The AQ event was cool and nostalgic. I enjoyed carrying around the little hippogryph hatchling and watching him fly away after a week.

They are supposed to be dumb fun things that not everyone needs to do or enjoy, but I would encourage anyone to do them as it is as close to what an mmo should feel like.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Revolutions

BATTLEMASTER (After 3.3.5 nerf) REVOLUTIONS REPORTING IN.
    Wielder of The Scepter of Shifting Sands, Hand of Ragnaros, and Shadowmourne. Bringer of 66 minute kings.

They forgot to ask the question:

Was the Ungoro event was fun.

Answer: No

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    The amount of players that would do more than check the 1-60 revamp out once then never again, is less than the amount doing these micro events.
    I'd love to see the numbers you have on this statement.

The 1-60 content is what every new player sees. The 1-60 content is now hilariously outdated once more.
    Although I don't believe they should make it into an expansion feature. 1 zone at a time and released when ready would be more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    11% of people doing them?
    Where are you getting access that shows 11%? You can't use MMO-C as the bar of what the community actually does. I'd be surprised if most of the micro's are even above 5%

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    Considering I brought up how they could use the resources in PvP(which I don't PvP)....means they totally need to give me everything I want right? Jesus....you're exceptionally daft. I would rather see the resources of the microholiday go towards fixing broken parts of the game than new unexciting events that last a day or two. Oh god, im just this selfish baby who needs everything to cater to me...
    You said it yourself, "things that really need fixing".

Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post

It wasn't fun for YOU.
    You can't simply say it wasn't for other people.

What the real question is, did some people find it fun.
    And if some did, then micro-holidays as a whole are not a failure in any definition.
    There is no content in the game which has absolute appeal.
    So people should stop acting entitled by whining that there is something for someone who isn't them, oh like there has always been.

I didn't have time yet for micro-holiday participation.
    But am I dismissing them simply because other content has higher priorities for me ?
    No.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2017-03-22 at 06:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    Is any newly implemented feature not a failure when it comes to Legion?

Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post

If they polled the 11% who done it, I bet over half would have said it was dull and not worth their time..

Deleted

According to the front page poll that questions "Did you take part in the recent Un'Goro Madness micro-holiday?" you managed to get the answer to the question "Do you like Un'Goro Madness?".

I'll ignore your attempts to consider a "sample size" of 40k reflective of an entire population of players without having considered the demographics of the mmo-champion traffic and the game.

I didn't take part, because I didn't have time.

I haven't watched Deadpool or eaten Baba-ganoush or smoked crack. That doesn't mean I don't like them. It means, exactly what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Here is the thing, people want to point fingers at people for " only doing things with rewards", but considering play time for the vast majority of WoW players is limited ( pretty much what it means to be casual), just how many people do you think are going to choose content that offers them nothing over content that might offer them something? I'm sure a few will do them, but given the factor of time, reward vs no reward is not a hard thing to predict.

Me personally, I think it's a total waste of time, but even if I didn't, I forgot the damn thing was even going on. Hard to get people to participate when you have no indication that anything is going on.
    There are plenty of things which have been done for years, which are simply "unrewarding".
    But it hasn't stopped players who aren't you from doing them.
    Achievements, exploration, climbing a mountain without flying simply because they can.

It is simply petty to single out micro-holidays.

It is selfish to argue that something is a waste if it doesn't appeal to you personally.

By that argument of a "lack of participation" - if those poll figures are accurate then how about we ask for removal of mythic raiding.
    See how well that argument goes down.

As for visibility, there is the calendar but that isn't enough.
    Maybe a chat message on logging in.
    I don't think something as substantial as city decorations is justified given the completely unrewarding nature of the events.
    How do you think they should be made more visible.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2017-03-22 at 06:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So just because you think people didn't participate in one micro holiday you think the whole thing is failure? Most of the other events haven't happened yet for us to experience them, so we can't even say such a thing.
    When the holidays don't give rewards and are just for fun/lore/participation, you're not gonna get that many people playing, although I did see many around the Frayfeather Highlands for the hatching when that was going on (An event I also liked for what it was worth).
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    By that argument of a "lack of participation" - if those poll figures are accurate then how about we ask for removal of mythic raiding.
    See how well that argument goes down.
    Careful, using that kinda logic may break their circuitry.