Thread: Civilization VI

Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WaldoWallace View Post
    So I'm thinking of picking up Civ VI. How do people rate it compared to IV and V? I skipped V because it seemed to have been over-simplified since IV.
    The AI in game is just atrocious, they play on a different set of rules than the player. V is a better game with expansions, there is a reason why more people still play V over VI. VI has potential though but it needs to be fixed.

Every CiV game is pretty shit until at least it's first expansion. They almost piece out incomplete games and once the pieces start to come together it's a masterpiece. But until then they usually suck donkey balls.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have come to expect almost all 4X games to not be completely fleshed out at launched. Mostly because it has become launch the platform from which we can build upon. Stellaris and GalCiv3 have done this. But it's nice knowing that there will be updates to the game regularly. Adds to replayability. I'll sideline Civ6 for the time being until an expansion comes along. I have Civ6, GalCiv3(Elite Founder edition) and Stellaris. So I am able to rotate through games when things get updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Every CiV game is pretty shit until at least it's first expansion. They almost piece out incomplete games and once the pieces start to come together it's a masterpiece. But until then they usually suck donkey balls.
    100$ before expecting a half-decent game seems quite high. And usually it needs 2 expansions to be decent, so 140$. Also I don't consider Civ5 BNW a masterpiece.

Not worth it imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    100$ before expecting a half-decent game seems quite high. And usually it needs 2 expansions to be decent, so 140$. Also I don't consider Civ5 BNW a masterpiece.

Not worth it imo.
    Ok I respect your opinion?

10+ Year Old Account
    'Persia gets less of a diplomatic penalty for declaring surprise war'

"Did you see that? They just wiped out poor helpless Arabia with no provocation! Those guys are dangerous, lets denounce them so the world knows! Who knows who might be next for those warmongers!"

"Nah its Persia, they cool"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    I have come to expect almost all 4X games to not be completely fleshed out at launched. Mostly because it has become launch the platform from which we can build upon. Stellaris and GalCiv3 have done this. But it's nice knowing that there will be updates to the game regularly. Adds to replayability. I'll sideline Civ6 for the time being until an expansion comes along. I have Civ6, GalCiv3(Elite Founder edition) and Stellaris. So I am able to rotate through games when things get updated.
    Then you've apparently never played Endless Space or Endless Legend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Then you've apparently never played Endless Space or Endless Legend.
    Endless Space was a lesson in the opposite, a fleshed out game that got a half arsed expansion and then dropped like a hot potato as the studio moved on to the next game.
    Also if I remember right Endless Legend had a bunch of balance issues at launch.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm willing to give VI a try, is it any good right now?

I was always of the opinion that V was perfection so when I tried the new one when it came out it left me with a sour taste in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I'm willing to give VI a try, is it any good right now?

I was always of the opinion that V was perfection so when I tried the new one when it came out it left me with a sour taste in my mouth.
    The AI is getting better.

Though unsure on Firaxis choice on bringing in Macedonia as a civilization separate from the Greeks. It's opening the old kettle of fish that always happens with that 100% certain northern Greek Kingdom.

Though now looking at how they're doing Macedon it looks like a great Civ to play.

https://civilization.com/news/entrie...-leads-macedon
    Last edited by Kallisto; 2017-03-22 at 06:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    The AI is getting better.

Though unsure on Firaxis choice on bringing in Macedonia as a civilization separate from the Greeks. It's opening the old kettle of fish that always happens with that 100% certain northern Greek Kingdom.
    Greek and kinda historically literate here, Greece has never been one nation or state except for the last 200 years, before that Greeks were dozens of different factions and states occupying the peninsula of Greece (and some on Asia Minor before the eastern Roman empire/Byzantium and Ottoman empire much later) who shared the same Greek language (with varying dialects), culture, cousine and religion, but with different rulers, government and laws. More often than not they warred with each other. Athens, Sparta, Thebes and Macedonia were the strongest ones.

So yeah, you can have Macedonia seperate from Greece from a historical perspective, in the same way you can have Athens or Sparta seperate from Greece.

TL;DR: Greece is an umbrella term.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-03-22 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Greek and kinda historically literate here, Greece has never been one nation or state except for the last 200 years, before that Greeks were dozens of different factions and states occupying the peninsula of Greece (and some on Asia Minor before the eastern Roman empire/Byzantium and Ottoman empire much later) who shared the same Greek language (with varying dialects), culture, cousine and religion, but with different rulers, government and laws. More often than not they warred with each other. Athens, Sparta, Thebes and Macedonia were the strongest ones.

So yeah, you can have Macedonia seperate from Greece from a historical perspective, in the same way you can have Athens or Sparta seperate from Greece.

TL;DR: Greece is an umbrella term.
    Father Greek, so got all of that drilled into me. But yeah the issue I had with this was there was Greece as a Civ and Macedon as a Civ. Not that was the issue itself more that Firaxis would try to be "neutral" and not mention the Hellenic nature of Macedon. But the page itself alleviated those concerns by essentially flooding the announcement with Hellenic terms.

Though thinking back about Greece in Civ 6 it's quite obvious that Pericles and Gorgo are basically running two separate civilizations playstyle wise under 1 Civ. You have Sparta and Athens as two separate civilizations (Each with unique cities for the first 5-10) but both under the Greece term.

Being honest, I'm going to wait a long while before touching Civ6. Civ 4 was one of my absolute favorite games, and I still play a few rounds every month or two, but Civ 5 was a train wreck from start to finish. Just atrocious. After Earth was pretty terrible too, so Firaxis's track record has been troublesome lately. Maybe after an expansion or two I'll try a demo of 6 to see if it's at all worthwhile, but right now I'm very skeptical.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is Civ 6 using the same engine as Civ 5?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Is Civ 6 using the same engine as Civ 5?
    I think so. The gameplay style is certainly similar with things added (and taken away) between the two games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by logintime View Post
    Being honest, I'm going to wait a long while before touching Civ6. Civ 4 was one of my absolute favorite games, and I still play a few rounds every month or two, but Civ 5 was a train wreck from start to finish. Just atrocious. After Earth was pretty terrible too, so Firaxis's track record has been troublesome lately. Maybe after an expansion or two I'll try a demo of 6 to see if it's at all worthwhile, but right now I'm very skeptical.
    I'll be honest 5 was one of my favorites after the expansions with 4 being one of my least. Problem I had with 4 was the giant stacks of doom where the AI would just spam units making attrition just too much. In the end you could have a few mech infantry defending a place only to lose out to 30-40 muskets all on the adjacent tile.

But still a good game none the less. If I had to pick a favourite Civ or Civ type game though. Alpha Centuri with Alien Crossfire expansion.

Another thing about Civ games is that while each of them (outside of Call to Power) have Sid's name on it. They all actually have different lead designers heading game development.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    The AI in game is just atrocious, they play on a different set of rules than the player. V is a better game with expansions, there is a reason why more people still play V over VI. VI has potential though but it needs to be fixed.

VI definitely has some serious issues. Like how AI's can develop a lot faster than the player. I don't know how many times I've lost Wonders because they seem to just build them in a couple of turns - if I put all my effort into building one, at the cost of units, I either get overwhelmed by barbarians, or have a surprise war declared on me by two civs. I've been playing enough to start to figure out a few things - England expands like crazy, so if she spawns next to you - build tons of settlers. Most of the time, surprise wars have been India, Russia, or Britain. Kongo is 50/50. The real race early on is iron - drill down to get it revealed, grab some, the game goes a lot smoother - and you get nagged constantly to trade it.

Things that are annoying: Getting denounced for no reason. Civs whining at you because your government is different, or you have a luxury they covet. I'm really sick of being interrupted with a cut screen just to know the Aztecs are pissy because I have jade, and they don't, or being told I'm going broke, when I'm not. Egypt is cute, but fuck her. I've defeated her civ enough times, I don't care what she thinks.

What I really hate: getting declared on, winning the war, but getting warmonger for refusing a peace offering. My playstyle is - you declare on me, I destroy you. You leave me alone, I leave you alone. I've never declared war, and I turn down joint wars. But I get warmonger for winning a war. Seriously, devs - that's gotta go.

And, why can't I tell a civ to get their troops away from my land, or warn them that they're building too close? Or am I just not seeing that option in the horrible UI?

Don't get me wrong, I like the game, but there are some aspects that are just bad, the AI is number one. Yeah, barbarians are a pain in the ass, but I've learned to build up my army soon, and once established, hunt them down while looking for goody huts. I've gotten really good at poaching barb builders and settlers. I can live with barbs.

Just once, I'd like to build Stonehenge. Just once. I can usually get the Pyramids, or the Terra Cotta Army, or Great Lighthouse, but I just don't get how other civs get Stonehenge so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post

Just once, I'd like to build Stonehenge. Just once. I can usually get the Pyramids, or the Terra Cotta Army, or Great Lighthouse, but I just don't get how other civs get Stonehenge so fast.
    I feel you. Unless I get an absolutely insane start AND play china there is no way to finish Stonehenge. It's the same like the great library in civ 5. Its a priority wonder for too many civs and you cannot outrace the AI on higher difficulties. The AI starts with more units so it can ignore building some for barbarians, they get massive production boosts so they build it faster anyway and they start with some technologies so they can build it right away. And there is no variance. No matter how many games you play. You can only switch up so many things in the first 20-25 rounds, none of those will lead to you building stonehenge significantly faster. My big hope for civ 6 was that it would just be Civ 5 with a competent AI for one time. But again the AI plays like shit and gets so massive bonuses that its simply not fun playing higher difficulties. Not because its hard, because you play against someone that cheats.
    Last edited by Faldric; 2017-03-23 at 10:42 PM.

Ohohoho, that image is going to go well in SJW-land xD