Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mental health days

So with an increase in the amount of millennials being diagnosed with mental illnesses should employers start allotting mental health days when they figure out vacation days and sick days? Obviously when a day is already being challenging a day off of work would be nice to calm down and feel better. The guy in this article talks about the increase in mental disorders in the country.

I'm sure it would be comforting for people coming up in the work place with mental disorders to be able to control whether or not they can handle the work day. Millennials need help and we should give it to them.

https://www.madinamerica.com/2013/07...iar-rebellion/
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

There are already mental health days. They're called sick days.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Generally, people with crippling mental health wouldn't be at work to begin with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    There are already mental health days. They're called sick days.
    Basically this as well^
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Why not just call it a sick day? Whether physically or mentally, not feeling well is not feeling well. I don't see a reason to make a separate category and grant even more days off.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Why not just call it a sick day? Whether physically or mentally, not feeling well is not feeling well. I don't see a reason to make a separate category and grant even more days off.
    Alot of people don't consider mental illness to be considered "sick." So employers probably won't take the employee seriously when they tell them why. It would be a dis service to millennials who need help.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

That is what sick days and vacation days are for, and other forms of paid time off.

Heck they can even call in sick and not get paid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Because I lot of managers ask how sick are you? Nothing is stopping you from lying but if you say something like "I'm just stressed out" or something it will probably become an issue. You'll still get your day off and some.

Or when its time for evaluations they'll try to throw that shit back in your face. I don't know about you but I'm from FL where worker's rights is said sarcastically.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Alot of people don't consider mental illness to be considered "sick." So employers probably won't take the employee seriously when they tell them why. It would be a dis service to millennials who need help.
    Everyone needs helps not just millennial's. Besides if you have mental problems you got a shrink and if you need to use a sick day for mental reasons, you then need a doctors note...

AFAIK, a majority of work places wont pay sick time with out a doctors note. Taking a mental day off and not seeing your shrink is the same thing as calling in sick when your sick and not going to the doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    Everyone needs helps not just millennial's. Besides if you have mental problems you got a shrink and if you need to use a sick day for mental reasons, you then need a doctors note...

AFAIK, a majority of work places wont pay sick time with out a doctors note. Taking a mental day off and not seeing your shrink is the same thing as calling in sick when your sick and not going to the doctors.
    Why should it be required for millennials to have a note from their doctor for their mental illness? Should people with the flu have to have a note from the doctor to take a day off? This is what I'm talking about, people don't take mental illness seriously.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Why should it be required for millennials to have a note from their doctor for their mental illness? Should people with the flu have to have a note from the doctor to take a day off? This is what I'm talking about, people don't take mental illness seriously.
    Its not just millennial's, and you keep saying millennial's are you trying to push some agenda? They are not the only ones that are part of the workforce.

If you want to call in sick and get paid with sick pay, you need a doctors note. Doesn't matter if its flu or mental, you need a note.
    If you want to call in sick regardless of pay then you call in sick, no note needed.

If company start giving "mental pay" as a form of PTO, it will be abused and can be used against you for reviews/promotions seeing mental instead of sick.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to call in sick and get paid with sick pay, you need a doctors note. Doesn't matter if its flu or mental, you need a note.
    That's not how it works everywhere.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Not everyone gets paid sick days, or even vacation days. IN the US we also get a lot less than other major nations. I also remember seeing a statistic that people are afraid of using sick days for whatever reason. I use mine, but some either feel guilty over it or something else I can't explain.
    Very true, where i worked at before and currently sick pay doesn't even kick in unless its 3+days.

Its not just millennial's, and you keep saying millennial's are you trying to push some agenda? They are not the only ones that are part of the workforce.

If you want to call in sick regardless of pay then you call in sick, no note needed.

If company start giving "mental pay" as a form of PTO, it will be abused and can be used against you for reviews/promotions seeing mental instead of sick.
    To answer that part, let's have a look at OP's thought patterns:

This is because millennials are broke.They're lazy and don't contribute anything but outrage to society.
    Oh, I think he definitely has some agenda alright.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    but some either feel guilty over it or something else I can't explain.
    Probably because most people who use sick days aren't actually sick on those days. I'm never sick for as many days as I'm allotted sick time, so taking all my sick days invariably means I'm pretending to be sick when I'm not. Sometimes it just feels bad to lie about stuff like that.

So with an increase in the amount of millennials being diagnosed with mental illnesses should employers start allotting mental health days when they figure out vacation days and sick days? Obviously when a day is already being challenging a day off of work would be nice to calm down and feel better. The guy in this article talks about the increase in mental disorders in the country.

I'm sure it would be comforting for people coming up in the work place with mental disorders to be able to control whether or not they can handle the work day. Millennials need help and we should give it to them.

https://www.madinamerica.com/2013/07...iar-rebellion/
    Despite your hilariously exaggerated view of millennials, most of us are pretty normal. So no, we don't need "mental health days".

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    That's not how it works everywhere.
    Sick pay depending on the place you work for can be accumulated and used when needed with out a note, know a person whose company is like that. But if your job offers sick pay, you bring in a note saying you need time off for x-y then they pay you for it. That is how sick pay works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sick pay depending on the place you work for can be accumulated and used when needed with out a note, know a person whose company is like that. But if your job offers sick pay, you bring in a note saying you need time off for x-y then they pay you for it. That is how sick pay works.
    Where I work we just get a number of sick days per year which we can use by calling in. No note required. If you don't use the days they roll over to the next year, but days over 2 years old are lost.

Sick days here are used for the following: been sick, destress day, mental health day, job interviews, last minute long weekends, day off, if the surf is good, can't be bothered going to work. I use more sick days for other reasons than been sick. It is standard practise in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Where I work we just get a number of sick days per year which we can use by calling in. No note required. If you don't use the days they roll over to the next year, but days over 2 years old are lost.
    Where I'm at now, 3+ with note for sick pay at full pay. Anything over 7 days is considered temporary disability and paid at 75%.

My sister has it made thou...sick pay like me, accumulated PTO based on hours worked, and then bi-yearly vacation pay of 80 hours per grant for 160 per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    To answer that part, let's have a look at OP's thought patterns:

Oh, I think he definitely has some agenda alright.
    That's rich coming from somebody with an anti-trump agenda.

#IStandWithGinaCarano