Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Federal Government versus State Legaliztion

Who do you support? Should the federal government have the right to raid farmers/stores in legalized states over pot? That is the biggest concern right now in Oregon. The threat has been made but I doubt it will happen. However as a investor there is always the risk.

I ask because I might be investing into the pot industry and want to know what people think.

My opinion: State rights trump (no pun) in this case.

can some mod fix the damn title...ty
    Last edited by zEmini; 2017-03-22 at 06:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes the feds can, though I think they shouldn't. Likewise, states can choose not to provide support to the feds.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Feds will probably only get involved in cases where pot is being sold across state lines to a state where it is still illegal. Or in cases where they know a particular pot dealer/farmer is involved in more serious dealings, but can't prove it without raiding, in which case they will pull federal rank as an excuse to go in.

As an investor, you should be ok as long as the pot farmer doesn't do any business out of state, or in any state where pot is still illegal, because that WILL put him/her in the federal crosshairs. Also, make sure they aren't involved in anything else. Otherwise you should be safe.

The Civil War decided just how much rights the States have. When it comes down to it, the Federal government will impose its tyrannical will on the States concerning any issue they want. The DEA has been harassing medicinal marijuana facilities in California etc ever since they legalized it, even under the Obama administration. The DEA refuses to reclassify marijuana as anything but a Schedule 1 drug, making it considered as dangerous as heroin and LSD. Even cocaine and meth are Schedule 2 drugs despite being obviously more dangerous than marijuana. Much of this has to do with the simple fact that the bulk of the DEA's funding goes to oppressing marijuana so they have a vested interest in keeping it as illegal as they possibly can. Just another example of the bloated Federal government watching out for the bureaucrats instead of doing what's best for the People.

Under Trump, expect it to get worse. At least Obama wasn't going out of his way to harass the States about it. But Trump has appointed an Ole Timey Good Ole Boy named Jeff Sessions as Attorney General. This retarded relic from the past thinks he is Henry Anslinger reincarnate. Don't try to tell him otherwise using modern science; this guy thinks Reefer Madness was a legitimate documentary. If the States won't respect the Federal law under this new administration, I can see them cutting Federal support like Obama did with North Carolina over the trans bathroom issue. But we'll see how much that actually affects a state like California, who's the fifth largest economy in the world. We wanted to think Trump would be smart enough to not ignore the huge pile of money on the table, but that motherfucker is just doing what the cronies around him tell him because he really doesn't want to be President. This all is making me cranky. I'm going to go smoke some pot lol
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb

15+ Year Old Account
    I support states rights, until there's an issue that California, New York, or one of those dirty liberal states is doing something that clearly defies my conservative values, then the hammer of God King Trump's federal government is going to come down on them!

So to sum up my position, conservative states should have the right to defy the constitution whenever they like, meanwhile we're going to royally fuck over any liberal state that dares to defy a 6000 year old book that's more sacred than our constitution!
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2017-03-22 at 07:03 PM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman31 View Post
    The Civil War decided just how much rights the States have. When it comes down to it, the Federal government will impose its tyrannical will on the States concerning any issue they want. The DEA has been harassing medicinal marijuana facilities in California etc ever since they legalized it, even under the Obama administration. The DEA refuses to reclassify marijuana as anything but a Schedule 1 drug, making it considered as dangerous as heroin and LSD. Even cocaine and meth are Schedule 2 drugs despite being obviously more dangerous than marijuana. Much of this has to do with the simple fact that the bulk of the DEA's funding goes to oppressing marijuana so they have a vested interest in keeping it as illegal as they possibly can. Just another example of the bloated Federal government watching out for the bureaucrats instead of doing what's best for the People.

Under Trump, expect it to get worse. At least Obama wasn't going out of his way to harass the States about it. But Trump has appointed an Ole Timey Good Ole Boy named Jeff Sessions as Attorney General. This retarded relic from the past thinks he is Henry Anslinger reincarnate. Don't try to tell him otherwise using modern science; this guy thinks Reefer Madness was a legitimate documentary. If the States won't respect the Federal law under this new administration, I can see them cutting Federal support like Obama did with North Carolina over the trans bathroom issue. But we'll see how much that actually affects a state like California, who's the fifth largest economy in the world. We wanted to think Trump would be smart enough to not ignore the huge pile of money on the table, but that motherfucker is just doing what the cronies around him tell him because he really doesn't want to be President. This all is making me cranky. I'm going to go smoke some pot lol
    Trust me, if they ever raided ... there will be a lot of dead people. And I would side with the farmers.

I wonder what would happen then? 11 dead Federal DEA agents, 30 dead pot farmers ... who gets prosecuted and who protects who? Honestly I see it as clear cut unlawful seizure of property and rights. Might be smarter to take the peaceful route, but if that doesn't do anything, then some of these trigger happy farmers are going start a little war.

10+ Year Old Account
    Federal trumps state. Always has, always will. Uniformity in laws and enforcement across the nation is more important than each state getting to do it's own special thing. Continuity of government matters.

That said, it is always the right of the higher level of government to choose not to enforce laws if it doesn't want to. And States have a right to challenge the laws via suit and via legalization.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

well considering the federal government has the final say in the matter I'd rather they pull their heads out of their asses and down grade Marijuana from a schedule one drug. it's completely ridiculous that it's seen as being as bad as Heroin or Cocaine.

states rights....i mean isn't that what the administration is always yelling about?

I think the war on drugs has been an absolute disaster and that it's long past time for it to end.

Federal government cracking down on states where pot has been legalized is ridiculous and threatens a growing industry with thousands of jobs that would pay millions in tax dollars. There is no benefit to cracking down. It helps no one.

state laws do not and should not trump federal laws.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Federal trumps state, this is probably a bad time to invest in pot given republicans control the entire government for a least 2 to 8 more years. Don't forget to vote in 2018!

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand that in a lot of cases; federal law should trumps state law if it violates the constitution. But if the law is stupid then why should it be followed? Dumb and unjust laws that were put into place through crony capitalism don't deserve to be followed or enforced.

Still going to side with the farmers on this.

Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump View Post
    I understand that in a lot of cases; federal law should trumps state law if it violates the constitution. But if the law is stupid then why should it be followed? Dumb and unjust laws that were put into place through crony capitalism don't deserve to be followed or enforced.

Still going to side with the farmers on this.
    You don't get to ignore the laws you don't agree with.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump View Post
    Who do you support? Should the federal government have the right to raid farmers/stores in legalized states over pot? That is the biggest concern right now in Oregon. The threat has been made but I doubt it will happen. However as a investor there is always the risk.

I ask because I might be investing into the pot industry and want to know what people think.

My opinion: State rights trump (no pun) in this case.

can some mod fix the damn title...ty
    First of all, do not - NOT - take any advice from these forums and use it to invest.

Second, yeah, I think Trump will go after the pot industry. It was tenuous as best under state rights, but even banks wouldn't back the industry because they didn't want to be (legally) defacto drug money launderers.

Don't get me wrong, the pot industry is here to stay, and legalization nationwide is almost a foregone conclusion - it will just take much longer now. Unfortunately.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Were that wishing made it true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only sheep follow every law given to them. How many laws in history do you think have been repealed and changed because they were unjust, stupid and against human rights?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Coke is schedule 2.
    even crazier still.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    The federal government shouldn't trump the states on something like this. There's no constitutional provision granting them authority over the states on such things.
    They would disagree with you. So would the Commerce Clause.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    The federal government shouldn't trump the states on something like this. There's no constitutional provision granting them authority over the states on such things.
    The chain of command gives them authority on it.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    The chain of command gives them authority on it.
    That is not correct.