Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I´m sitting here at home trying to figure out how in the flying fuck the airlines are supposed to uphold that ban.
    I don't think this will be much of an issue, they can always check your bags before you enter the plane and, if they see a laptop, they will turn you around. It is another matter that this ban will hit the companies hard. For example, Etihad Airways used to be my favorite flight company. Now that I cannot carry a laptop on the plane because of the silly ban (and I'm not careless enough to put a laptop in the baggage, given how much the workers will thrash it around), I will simply resort to flying with some other company, say, Air China, which I like as well. Many Americans and foreigners flying to America will switch to more convenient airlines, and, aside from Etihad and others losing a lot of income, the ban won't have any effect on anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Just realised this will affect me, since I am booked to fly from Istanbul with Turkish Airlines to the US in June. I usually watch films and such on my iPad on long flights, but that falls under the ban. I wonder if a Kindle is allowed. Of course I could do the old school stuff and just take 3-4 books with me for the 16 hour flight, but that's 3-4 books (or other stuff) less I can buy in the US to take home with me on my way back.

I wonder how the airlines will enforce this ban. If they start to physically check everybody's cabin luggage right before boarding, people will have to show up 3-4 hours before take off.

7+ Year Old Account
    I´m sitting here at home trying to figure out how in the flying fuck the airlines are supposed to uphold that ban.
    I don't know about the airports listed, but Domodedovo International Airport has gates that have a secondary security check as well. The gate area is a fish tank. Changi Airport is the same way.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    I don't know about the airports listed, but Domodedovo International Airport has gates that have a secondary security check as well. The gate area is a fish tank. Changi Airport is the same way.
    I can´t remember my flights to the US, we might had a second security check as well, then again this also wasn´t done by the airlines.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    doesn't make sense. Gulf countries airport security is so strict that you can't even smuggle a cologne.

Seems to me like a paranoid US official with no logical explanation.
    No no! They are legitimately concern because there is an intelligence report which says there maybe be a bomb in an unknown electronic device on an unknown plane of an unknown airline flying from an unknown location on an unknown time.

that's not a legitimate reason -.- it's called overreacting and paranoia.

If they don't know anything then "as you just said" then it's not wroth getting paranoid over.

Plus, you don't think that current security systems can catch any explosive device in any airport around the world?
    My comment was sarcastic, I thought was obvious.
    Yes, as strange as it may sound, there is finally something we both agree on.

that's not a legitimate reason -.- it's called overreacting and paranoia.

If they don't know anything then "as you just said" then it's not wroth getting paranoid over.

Plus, you don't think that current security systems can catch any explosive device in any airport around the world?
    Yeah a laptop bomb could never happen, oh wait...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35521646

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Yeah a laptop bomb could never happen, oh wait...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35521646

Also the US isnt the only country with the ban in place yet they all want to blame the US president for the ban. Maybe the UK prime minister should be blamed since the UK is doing this as well.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbleduck View Post
    The US is banning electronic devices from cabin baggage on flights from eight mainly Middle Eastern and North African countries.

We all know how many people die every year to brown laptops and tablets going wild during flights, good move. Keep it up.

Also who needs a switch on a 15hr flight? That's suspicious behavior!
    I saw this a couple of days ago - and it's not all devices, as phones are still ok. Aside from the almost randomness of it, there must be something to it (hate to defend Trump).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I saw this a couple of days ago - and it's not all devices, as phones are still ok. Aside from the almost randomness of it, there must be something to it (hate to defend Trump).
    That airport security in those 10 airports is shitty and airlines are supposed to uhm do it instead?
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    That airport security in those 10 airports is shitty and airlines are supposed to uhm do it instead?
    Perhaps - I mean, that's true. I would be curious to see intelligence reports about this subject and any recent credible threats. Even a small amount of explosives going off inside a pressurized cabin would be devastating.

15+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps - I mean, that's true. I would be curious to see intelligence reports about this subject and any recent credible threats. Even a small amount of explosives going off inside a pressurized cabin would be devastating.
    Well yeah, the problem is if the airport security is so shitty that people could smuggle explosives on the airplanes, how is personel that is less trained in finding explosives with worse equipment to do so expected to make a better job?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well yeah, the problem is if the airport security is so shitty that people could smuggle explosives on the airplanes, how is personel that is less trained in finding explosives with worse equipment to do so expected to make a better job?
    This is a good point. My concern is that the warning was for such specific items - almost like Intelligence was tipped off about a specific threat.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is a good point. My concern is that the warning was for such specific items - almost like Intelligence was tipped off about a specific threat.
    It was also for specific flights.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It was also for specific flights.
    That's even scarier. Damn. Although why they would make it public . . . I guess it just got out, wasn't really advertised.