Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    If it was counted as suicide, the officers would be charged with assisting in suicide, and they would be arrested and the government would still be sued. There is no winning scenario for the officials. They literally have 0 legal grounds to fight. If they choose not to settle, they will be paying a very large amount of money.
    how is it assisted? they said PROVE it's apple juice which the man said it was, if you're LYING don't fucking drink a lethal liquid, own up and go to fucking jail, this is nothing but retarded and you'll never make me think otherwise, they didn't FORCE him they told him to drink his apple juice, anyone with half a fucking brain cell would of been like fuck no i'm not drinking that.

today a drug smuggling retard was lost, the world is a better place

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    We're not paying for his stupidity. We're paying for the officers' stupidity. What they did is illegal. We are paying to make their mistake right. If they believed the substance to be drugs or anything other than a food, they should have never told him to drink it. They did so knowing that if it wasn't apple juice, he would harm himself. The kid probably didn't know the physiological ramifications for drinking meth and thought that if he could sip some he would survive. The adult officers told him to drink it, under the belief that it would harm him.

What the kid did is wrong, absolutely. But the officials are wrong too. And since the adults were in control of the situation and told him to do something that led to his death, they are responsible for it.
    lol they're responsible because some retard wasn't smart enough to say no to drinking liquid meth?

his family deserves 1m because he was smuggling drugs and was too dumb to not drink them, i bet the officers are like fucking hell why did we get the one retard who was dumb enough to actually drink liquid meth, they've probably been doing the job for years and everyone else was like fuck no i ain't drinking that!

Well either people are responsible for their own actions or not. Duress does appear to be a factor in this case however. If the officers really suspected it was an illicit substance, they should not have cajoled him and certainly should not have let him drink it. Given his status as a minor and their position of authority, the settlement seems appropriate even if the family's attorney seems to be stretching the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    For starters I wouldn't lie to one.

But with all that said, by 16 he was already transporting meth across international borders. This is no great loss to society.

For all we know the $1,000,000 payout might be a bargain compared to legal costs once he becomes an adult and progresses into other shit.
    The kid is dead so progressing into others things once he becomes an adult is not a possibility. No one in this thread can comment on if this kid was a good person or not. One criminal act does not make a person bad. I agree this kid made a mistake might have not been the sharpest tool in the shed but we will never know. The fact that the family won a million dollars seems like a failure of the justice system but cases like this happen all the time. No one really wins in this situation. The family lost a loved one and America lost a million dollars. The border officers certainly did something beyond dumb in telling him to drink it and letting him do it even though they suspected it was not apple juice.

Oh look at that, the conservatives are talking about personal responsibilty now. The kid was dumb for drinking it, but these officers were unprofessional, that is a fact. The family deserves that money, nobody cares if that hurts your feelings.
    Last edited by Bapestar; 2017-03-22 at 11:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well what do you know. I guess crime does pay. The attorney claims the cop played an "inhumane joke". I am struggling to see how because if the cop says that, you DO NOT just chug liquified nitrous for your heart. Yes of course the next stage would be the kid declining and then the cop running a test on the suspect liquid, because even if the kid declines to drink (proving the cop correct by present statement) it does not irrevocably prove that the cop is correct.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump need to build that wall, fast.

mmmhmm... there is a loophole here ...

the fact that the government gave a bunch of ................. drug smugglers money sure gives me the giggles.

Deleted
    nice to know how effective your taxes are being handled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I really don't know why it's so hard for people to grasp that officers need to behave in a mature and professional manner while on the job. Getting into juvenile pissing contests with minor suspects is pretty bad, especially when you're callously betting the suspect's life on the outcome. More than that though, there's no indication they made any effort to stop him once he began trying to drink it, so they really just fucked up through and through. Yeah, the kid was running drugs and whether it was youthful indiscretion or just a lack of fucks to give, it doesn't absolve the police in question of their own responsibilities in that situation, which they plainly failed to live up to. This isn't some sort of good vs evil where disapproving of one means supporting the other. Sometimes it's just the case that everyone involved fucked up.
    I know i agree with what you are saying but you cannot expect everyone to act like robots that follow the martial law for decorum constantly. Yes its ideal. But ideal is a pretty hard statistic to maintain all the time. I cross the border multiple times and as a brown guy who is muslim there have been pleasant stops and some unnatural ones. That is just the name of the game. I do not think it is worth the dramatization this is going through.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

He was a good boy he just entered a country illegally. Ya know what would happen to a 16 year old American boy illegally entering Mexico?
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Deleted
    Well we cant be sure do he know what liquid actually carry and beside that patrol can use chemical check or to smell the bottle(i have no idea how met smells but dont think that have smell of apple juice)

No matter how you twist it, these officers should have tested the liquid from jump.
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    He was a good boy he just entered a country illegally. Ya know what would happen to a 16 year old American boy illegally entering Mexico?
    Erm no. He entered it legally at a pedastrian entry point, as stated in the article.

He was an idiot, drinking it no doubt. But the behaviour of the border guards was unprofessional and dangerous. Why not just confiscate it and check. Instead of letting him drink it? Even aside from probably fatal overdose, letting a smuggler suspect consume the substance in question, and therefore probably destroying evidence is just stupid.
    Last edited by josykay; 2017-03-22 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    Erm no. He entered it legally at a pedastrian entry point, as stated in the article.

He was an idiot, drinking it no doubt. But the behavior of the border guards was unprofessional and dangerous. Why not just confiscate it and check. Instead of letting him him drink it? Even aside from probably fatal overdose, letting a smuggler suspect consume the substance in question, and therefore probably destroying evidence is just stupid.
    Get out of here with that common sense, damn you.

They didn't tell him to drink liquid meth. They told him to drink some perfectly harmless apple juice.

His lie. He committed suicide as far as I'm concerned. He could've just went "nope, it's meth. Arrest me." And he wouldn't have died.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I don't expect them to act like robots nor do I expect them to be perfect. I do expect them to be held accountable for their fuck ups though, the same as anyone else would be. People are all too often willing to let the police get away with abuses simply because it's very easy to dislike the people they abuse. That hurts all of us, especially when accompanied with the mindset that anyone who had a negative interaction with the police probably deserved it. It makes them effectively untouchable and weakens our civil liberties that protect us from overreach by law enforcement by making them essentially unenforceable.
    Yes but I do not think this is the way to go about that either. I think the ops point and mine is, the cash out as a consequence of earning the darwin award. The police action is, at least to me, on a completely different page.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I want to go on the record and say, If I am carrying meth, I tell the cop it's apple juice and he says drink it to prove it is and I do it and die. That's my fault, don't award my family any money.
    ok, what if the apple juice was given to you by the cops, and they tell you that they will kill you and your family unless you bring it across the border safely ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    He could've just went "nope, it's meth. Arrest me." And he wouldn't have died.
    how long do you think his lifespan would be when the owner of the meth comes knocking ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malacrass View Post
    Guess I'm just a big softie, but this is really sad

I imagine a fragile, uneducated, probably retarded 16 year old who certainly didn't have many choices in life.
    u know, my view was different until I read your post. I totally missed that aspect of the situation. Most of the time people post sarcastically here but I am being dead serious.

10+ Year Old Account
    So he was allergic to apple juice? Damn that sucks, it tastes to good.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    They didn't tell him to drink liquid meth. They told him to drink some perfectly harmless apple juice.

His lie. He committed suicide as far as I'm concerned. He could've just went "nope, it's meth. Arrest me." And he wouldn't have died.
    They obviously had an idea it was something else. Instead of doing their job correctly, they were playing games.