Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    So similar to what Windows Phones do with continuum, connect your peripherals and turn it into a PC.
    Just seem to be providing a "neater", but very restrictive chassis to do the same.
    Would it work with anything but an apple product - doubtful.
    Would it be far higher priced than individual peripherals - likely.
    Would it have the variety of hardware options, to be changed or switched later - no.
    Exactly what it is-- Lumia 950 does this; and I've never ever used it with my now shelved windows phone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Pfft. That's so last five years ago. You store everything in the cloud now and not on physical storage. So you have access to it anywhere anywhere. Why the ball and chain of some physical storage device!!!
    Meh, cloud keeps gettin' "hacked". Don't trust it!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    As the title say, Apple got a patent published patent today that could change how we compute on the go. With the design they have submitted you would insert your iPhone into the area on a macbook chassis where the normal track pad it. The iPhone would then power the computer. This could be a game changer. for mobile computing.

here is a link to the patent from the US Patent office dated with todays date. It looks like it was filed in September.

http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNum...%2F20170323%29
    Wow - this would definitely be a game changer. At some point down the line you'd just carry one device that would be able to power whatever computer you run across - plus access all other computing stations. Obviously not next year, but 10 years down the line, this could be how we access most computing stations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I guess that's nice if you're the sort of person who uses a computer just for a word processor, Minesweeper, and some light internet browsing. Still doesn't exactly seem like a revolutionary development though.
    Have you read any of the articles or tech associated with this development? Or are you just poo-pooing it because of your normal contrarian-ness?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Wow - this would definitely be a game changer. At some point down the line you'd just carry one device that would be able to power whatever computer you run across - plus access all other computing stations. Obviously not next year, but 10 years down the line, this could be how we access most computing stations.
    IBM did that back in the 90-00's. You had a walkman sized box with the CPU and hard drive that you stuck into various docking stations. Dont think they sold a single one...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    As the title say, Apple got a patent published patent today that could change how we compute on the go. With the design they have submitted you would insert your iPhone into the area on a macbook chassis where the normal track pad it. The iPhone would then power the computer. This could be a game changer. for mobile computing.

here is a link to the patent from the US Patent office dated with todays date. It looks like it was filed in September.

http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNum...%2F20170323%29
    In what way is this a game changer? It's a neat idea, sure. But what will it change or improve?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    IBM did that back in the 90-00's. You had a walkman sized box with the CPU and hard drive that you stuck into various docking stations. Dont think they sold a single one...
    I recall something like that - but the computing power and versatility wasn't available back then. And everyone has a phone nowadays - granted, it's split between Apple and Android, but that in and of itself is a major game changer. All you would really need is a universal docking port (which Android has proven is possible with their charger port) and a system that holds the phone in place. Ramp up the computing power of the phone, which is already moving forward with solid state drives, and you've got a decent model.

I mean, if I can model it, I'm sure Apple and Samsung have already done it.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Better be able to charge it while the phone is inside.
    Absolutely. You'll need a new adapter to do so however.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Absolutely. You'll need a new adapter to do so however.
    That only works with that docking station and no others. You'll need a different adapter for each workstation as per the apple norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    In what way is this a game changer? It's a neat idea, sure. But what will it change or improve?
    It's Apple, duh. I mean, it's like a phone IN your computer. How amazing is that? And when you have your phone outside the laptop, you can use that slot for car keys, debit cards, Mike and Ike's, all sorts of shit.

Deleted
    Is this another example of the super retarded US patent system at work?

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure both my laptop and desktop have superior hardware to my cellphone, despite my cellphone being newer than either, and it seems rather unlikely that my phone could replace anything in either without a loss of performance. I guess this will be nice for people who can barely afford even basic electronics (assuming the shells actually drive down costs at all), but my desktop represents probably $1800 in parts or so, and I wouldn't consider that expensive given that it lasts me like 8-10 years in between upgrades. Without a leap in cellphone technology that somehow moves it ahead of desktops and laptops, I don't see this being useful for me or a big deal at all.
    I think it's because you're just considering current hardware. Patents like this are created from a perspective of a company looking 5-10 years ahead into the future and having a good feeling things are moving in that direction.

This from a company that tied to patent rounded corners.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It isn't revolutionary. Apple products never are. They get attention because of the brand name and it helps spread new tech though, so that's always exciting(speaking as a tech professional). I just wish people would catch on to this stuff before Apple comes in and charges what they do.
    The corner the market on foolish buyers. Take a shit product, jack up the price and people will want it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I think it's because you're just considering current hardware. Patents like this are created from a perspective of a company looking 5-10 years ahead into the future and having a good feeling things are moving in that direction.
    but people have already done things like this before or are they again hoping to bullshit their way through a patent lawsuit like many other large companies.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    And 5 - 10 years down the road dedicated hardware will be that much stronger so as to be able to run even newer games and programs that require even more horsepower to use.

Patents are patents, nothing is confirmed or denied yet.

Most patents don't actually become a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I mean if all you need to do is chat on messaging apps and browse the internet, sure. The current state of iOS would not allow for use of a fuck ton of applications. Not to mention a complete lock down of the file system and a bazillion other obnoxious restrictions which would bring productivity down to zero.

It's definitely not going to replace actual laptops/PCs/macs if that's what you're suggesting.

Possible design flaw, most people use cases on their iphones and they come in lots of different sizes.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    But Microsoft is doing that for more than year with Windows Phone. You can connect your phone with monitor, keyboard and mouse and then use it as a normal PC.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    I mean if all you need to do is chat on messaging apps and browse the internet, sure. The current state of iOS would not allow for use of a fuck ton of applications. Not to mention a complete lock down of the file system and a bazillion other obnoxious restrictions which would bring productivity down to zero.

It's definitely not going to replace actual laptops/PCs/macs if that's what you're suggesting.
    It's exactly what I'm suggesting, and it's entirely possible. Solid state drives are getting smaller, processing power is getting both faster and smaller (although we are reaching that current theoretical limit). Most laptops are the size they are because of keyboard and port requirements.

If the iPhone/Android were up to speed with processing power, ideally you could "plug" it into a port, that would have a keyboard/mouse/ports already attached, similar (in general) to a docking station for a laptop, and you would have a generic work station personalized by your phone.