Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    But I am judging the show on it's own merits. If the flaws are in the source material as well that doesn't excuse them in the adaptation. I found the show to be in poor taste when it came to its depiction of race. That doesn't change because of what's in the comics.
    Pretty racist way of looking at it.

The fact that you can't look past race for the show and need certain races to fill certain roles to fit your agenda is pretty ignorant.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Pretty racist way of looking at it.

The fact that you can't look past race for the show and need certain races to fill certain roles to fit your agenda is pretty ignorant.
    The whole "if you point out racism you're racist" argument is really cliche.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Except you're not pointing out racism. You calling out a white man beating up a black man for being black is pointing out racism. You're just not happy that the races of the actors don't fit your definition of what roles should be filled with what races. That's racist. It's not different than the people complaining that Luke Cage didn't have enough white people in it. They didn't avoid putting so many white people in Luke Cage because they love black people so much more. They did it because it made sense.

Perhaps maybe you see it as "really cliche" because everyone that is pointing out your racism has a point and you just don't see that.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Deleted
    The source material is about dragons and magic ninjas.
    Dani going after the people who crashed his plane IS source material if you like it or not.

- - - Updated - - -

The second season needs to directly address the racial criticisms of the show;
    Saisd the racist.

- - - Updated - - -

this adaptation could have been an opportunity to rectify the problem.
    there is nothing to rectify here only in the mind of stupid millenial sjw racist there is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Or they could just leave the source material alone and hope that people can look past skin colour for once.
    Amen to that!
    We have enough silly idiots who take 1984 as an instruction manual....

Protar never fails to deliver with his comedy routine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was nothing racist about Iron Fist. You can keep saying it if you want, that's cool, just know that everyone /facepalms everything you say.

Iron Fist has to be an outsider, its part of this characters back story. Its ok if you dont know anything about Iron Fist, just stop acting like there is some underlying racist theme because Danny Rand is white or the members of the Hand are ruthless killers. Its all cannon.

The only thing NOT cannon with this series is that Davos should be the main baddie. He gets mad when the "Loawai" is chosen to face the dragon, forcing him to attack the dragon without permission, he gets wrecked and hates Rand even more.

I also don't like how Rand is constantly losing his cool in the series. The comics, (1970s original version) He never acts like that and is mostly cool and collected emotionally, like a Zen master.

Deleted
    Except you're not pointing out racism. You calling out a white man beating up a black man for being black is pointing out racism. You're just not happy that the races of the actors don't fit your definition of what roles should be filled with what races. That's racist. It's not different than the people complaining that Luke Cage didn't have enough white people in it. They didn't avoid putting so many white people in Luke Cage because they love black people so much more. They did it because it made sense.

Perhaps maybe you see it as "really cliche" because everyone that is pointing out your racism has a point and you just don't see that.
    As it happens the writers and producers of Luke Cage did give us a majority black cast because they loved black people and black culture.Much of the series was a celebration of black culture (not a topic I'm going to claim to be an expert on). And that's not a bad thing, the show would not have had it's heart without it.

Iron Fist has lots of asian characters but all bar one are evil. So in your view that is not racist stereotyping, but pointing it out is racist? What kind of logic is that?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    Danny Rand is THE immortal Iron Fist, vanquisher of Shou-Lao, protector of K'un L'un. I trained his whole life.
    WHY are people to dumb to see and accept that he is NOT finished with training?

- - - Updated - - -

Iron Fist has lots of asian characters but all bar one are evil. So in your view that is not racist stereotyping, but pointing it out is racist?
    No its not you damn SJW. apart from the fact that NOT all asians in the show are evil (what Kun Lai doesnt count?)
    Oh you mean the hand being all asian is racism? see your arguments are plain stupidity

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    There was nothing racist about Iron Fist. You can keep saying it if you want, that's cool, just know that everyone /facepalms everything you say.
    You can't really play the "everyone thinks you're being ridiculous" argument when the general critical consensus is that the show has a race problem.

Iron Fist has to be an outsider, its part of this characters back story. Its ok if you dont know anything about Iron Fist, just stop acting like there is some underlying racist theme because Danny Rand is white or the members of the Hand are ruthless killers. Its all cannon.

The only thing NOT cannon with this series is that Davos should be the main baddie. He gets mad when the "Loawai" is chosen to face the dragon, forcing him to attack the dragon without permission, he gets wrecked and hates Rand even more.

I also don't like how Rand is constantly losing his cool in the series. The comics, (1970s original version) He never acts like that and is mostly cool and collected emotionally, like a Zen master.
    A.) as I've said several times I am not inherently against Danny being white, if that is really what is necessary to portray him as an outsider. I just think that racial identity should have been explored in the series, as it was in Luke Cage. Did you have a problem with the discussions of race in Luke Cage? All I would have wanted was something similar to that.
    B.) That said, I don't think Danny needs to be white to be an outsider. Regardless of his race he is an outsider to K'un L'un. In fact a mixed race actor would have added a lot of subtext to the role, as Danny finds himself an outsider to both New York and K'un L'un, just as many mixed race people find themselves outsiders of both cultures from which they are descended.
    C.) I'm not sure why you keep going on about "it's canon". The original canon can have flaws too you know. The problem of the show being about a white guy vs evil asian stereotypes does not go away just because that was true in the comics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Iron Fist has lots of asian characters but all bar one are evil. So in your view that is not racist stereotyping, but pointing it out is racist? What kind of logic is that?
    So? The Hand is suppo. . . . I'm not even going to explain it to you because you are in - fucking - sane.

How do you feel about every black person in Cage being a villain except for three people?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    WHY are people to dumb to see and accept that he is NOT finished with training?

- - - Updated - - -

No its not you damn SJW. apart from the fact that NOT all asians in the show are evil (what Kun Lai doesnt count?)
    Oh you mean the hand being all asian is racism? see your arguments are plain stupidity
    Well we don't really get to see K'un L'un and from what we do see of it, it's a pretty abusive place. Hopefully in season 2 we can visit it and actually see some fleshed out Asian characters and I'll see that as a big step forward. But as it is all asian characters bar colleen (and come to think of it the blind beggar who we see for like two minutes) are portrayed as iredeemable bad guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't really play the "everyone thinks you're being ridiculous" argument when the general critical consensus is that the show has a race problem. .

The general critical consensus is not that it has a race problem. I know you like to read Vox and Vice news because they subscribe to your dying religion of SJW dip shittery, but the critical consensus is that the writing was poor and the choreography wasnt quite right for a show that has" the best martial artists in the world".

Deleted
    So? The Hand is suppo. . . . I'm not even going to explain it to you because you are in - fucking - sane.

How do you feel about every black person in Cage being a villain except for three people?
    Well for starters that's quite clearly not true, I think you need to count the amount of good guys in Luke Cage. but it's also not a problem because the protagonist and his allies are also black. The show is a majority black cast - the bad guys are black but so are the good guys. If Iron Fist had a majority asian cast the Hand wouldn't be a problem. But we don't so it comes across as negative stereotyping. Just as a show would be negatively stereotyping if the only black characters were gang members.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well for starters that's quite clearly not true, I think you need to count the amount of good guys in Luke Cage. but it's also not a problem because the protagonist and his allies are also black. The show is a majority black cast - the bad guys are black but so are the good guys. If Iron Fist had a majority asian cast the Hand wouldn't be a problem. But we don't so it comes across as negative stereotyping. Just as a show would be negatively stereotyping if the only black characters were gang members.
    The hand isnt even all Asian. . . . did you even watch the show? Every paragraph you type proves you haven't even seen this show.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The general critical consensus is not that it has a race problem. I know you like to read Vox and Vice news because they subscribe to your dying religion of SJW dip shittery, but the critical consensus is that the writing was poor and the choreography wasnt quite right for a show that has" the best martial artists in the world".
    Pretty much this. The only people screaming about race are SJWs. It's just easier to scream louder when the group in disagreement don't bother screaming because race shouldn't matter and they just judge the show by the way it's suppose to be judged.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    The actor playing Bakudo is actually Puerto Rican, which I'm suprised isn't being brought up more by the SJWs but I guess it's because they believe racism is only about white people.

Deleted
    The hand isnt even all Asian. . . . did you even watch the show? Every paragraph you type proves you haven't even seen this show.
    No it's not. But almost all the asian characters are part of it (including Colleen). The only other asian characters we see are the blind beggar for two minutes, the triad goons and some glimpses at the Monks of the Order of the Crane Mother, and they are portrayed as abusive.

I'm not really sure what we are debating here. It is a numerical fact that virtually all of the asian characters are portrayed as bad guys. Are you actually debating that?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    No it's not. But almost all the Asian characters are part of it (including Colleen). The only other asian characters we see are the blind beggar for two minutes, the triad goons and some glimpses at the Monks of the Order of the Crane Mother, and they are portrayed as abusive.
    Considering the low amount of protagonists that perform martial arts in the show you can't really change that unless you make Danny asian.

Danny is white in the comics and not being Asian is a part of his origin story being an outsider.
    Colleen IS asian (british asian actress) and while being a part of the hand in the show is still a protagonist.
    Davos is played by a British Indian and ends up being a villian.

There's literally no one else unless you just start making irrelevant people that happen to not be villians asian and that point why?
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2017-03-23 at 06:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really sure what we are debating here. It is a numerical fact that virtually all of the asian characters are portrayed as bad guys. Are you actually debating that?
    What the hell does that even matter? Are members of the Hand supposed to be heroes?

LoL this is getting comical at this point.

Deleted
    What the hell does that even matter? Are members of the Hand supposed to be heroes?
    Well now that you bring it up, the prospect of the hand being more morally ambiguous than first thought was a tantalising prospect taken away too soon.

But that was not my point. My point is that there would be nothing wrong with the Hand having evil asian characters if we actually got more than one asian protagonist.

- - - Updated - - -

Considering the low amount of protagonists that perform martial arts in the show you can't really change that unless you make Danny asian.

Danny is white in the comics and not being Asian is a part of his origin story being an outsider.
    Colleen IS asian (british asian actress) and while being a part of the hand in the show is still a protagonist.
    Davos is played by a British Indian and ends up being a villian.

There's literally no one else unless you just start making irrelevant people that happen to not be villians asian and that point why?
    Even just having many of the smaller parts like the psychiatrist for example, being played by asian characters would be a small start. The other Netflix shows seemed to me to make quite a lot of effort to make sure that the supporting cast was diverse. And maybe the Meachum's could have been asian? No reason why not. And of course I would have been happy with an asian actor as Danny (I do not think it's necessary for him to be white to be an outsider in K'un L'un. It's literally an alternate dimension. white, asian, whatever - he's going to be an outsider.)

I also think that (racial issues aside) the show really should have focused more on K'un L'un, which would have given us the chance for a lot more asian characters.

Even just having many of the smaller parts like the psychiatrist for example, being played by asian characters would be a small start. The other Netflix shows seemed to me to make quite a lot of effort to make sure that the supporting cast was diverse. And maybe the Meachum's could have been asian? No reason why not. And of course I would have been happy with an asian actor as Danny (I do not think it's necessary for him to be white to be an outsider in K'un L'un. It's literally an alternate dimension. white, asian, whatever - he's going to be an outsider.)
    Maybe they didn't take a racist stand and just hired who they thought would be best for the job.