Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Maybe they didn't take a racist stand and just hired who they thought would be best for the job.
    In that case the other candidates must have been very poor indeed. I was happy to see Finn Jones getting a lead role after seeing him in Game of Thrones, but his performance as Danny was bland at best and outright unlikeable at worst. Funnily enough one of the candidates for an asian iron fist - Lewis Tan - was in the series. He was the drunken ninja and in five minutes he displayed more charisma than Danny did in the entire season.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    In that case the other candidates must have been very poor indeed. I was happy to see Finn Jones getting a lead role after seeing him in Game of Thrones, but his performance as Danny was bland at best and outright unlikeable at worst. Funnily enough one of the candidates for an asian iron fist - Lewis Tan - was in the series. He was the drunken ninja and in five minutes he displayed more charisma than Danny did in the entire season.
    It's almost like they casted Lewis Tan in a role that was perfect for him...

Deleted
    A pretty good article on the topic - http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a7643041.html

Between his charisma, his martial arts skills and the subtext he would have bought to the role, I think they were mad not to cast Lewis Tan.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    It's almost like they casted Lewis Tan in a role that was perfect for him...
    It was a good scene, but if he can deliver that in one scene I would have loved to see what he could do with the lead role.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was a good scene, but if he can deliver that in one scene I would have loved to see what he could do with the lead role.
    To be fair, I'm 90% sure we'll be seeing more of his character. You wouldn't know it from the scene, but he's one of Iron Fists running antagonists and I strongly doubt they'll dump him after one fight scene, especially when it was the best one in the show.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

He was the drunken ninja and in five minutes he displayed more charisma than Danny did in the entire season.
    That's your clearly biased opinion. What I was thinking watching that scene was that he was sh*t compared to Jackie Chans "drunken" Kung Fu.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    To be fair, I'm 90% sure we'll be seeing more of his character. You wouldn't know it from the scene, but he's one of Iron Fists running antagonists and I strongly doubt they'll dump him after one fight scene, especially when it was the best one in the show.
    Yeah, Zhou Cheng and Davos are going to be major players in season two. (i hope).

Zhou Cheng has been assassinating iron fists for like 50 years, hes the Defender of the Hand.

I hope, in season two, we see the hand descend the 11 levels of heaven to reach hell and raise the "Beast". If they could tighten up the writing in season two it could be freaking epic.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2017-03-23 at 06:51 PM.

Deleted
    I hope so. Even if it wasn't the original plan the reception towards him has been so positive that they will likely want to use him again. Still though..I think the show would have been greatly improved with Tan playing Danny. Certainly would have made the fight scenes a lot better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope so. Even if it wasn't the original plan the reception towards him has been so positive that they will likely want to use him again. Still though..I think the show would have been greatly improved with Tan playing Danny. Certainly would have made the fight scenes a lot better.
    It's 100000% the Original plan. He's Zhou Cheng, the Assassin of Iron Fists, he's biologically CREATED to kill them... Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't make more of him, he would have been a far better heel for the second half of the season than Bakuto.

I'm hoping that they did that because they're saving him for the second season.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I'm happy the kept him white because a big part of his character is his friendship with Luke and relationship with Misty. The impact of those would have been lessened had they made him Asian.

Well for starters that's quite clearly not true, I think you need to count the amount of good guys in Luke Cage. but it's also not a problem because the protagonist and his allies are also black. The show is a majority black cast - the bad guys are black but so are the good guys. If Iron Fist had a majority asian cast the Hand wouldn't be a problem. But we don't so it comes across as negative stereotyping. Just as a show would be negatively stereotyping if the only black characters were gang members.
    I'd say it's stereotyping to say only asians can do martial arts.

What, blues can only be played by black people

SJW bullshit can only be posted by white women with too much time and too few problems?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    I'd say it's stereotyping to say only asians can do martial arts.

What, blues can only be played by black people

SJW bullshit can only be posted by white women with too much time and too few problems?
    Except the show had loads of martial arts asians anyway. So if you're going to have that let's at least have martial arts practising asians who are three dimensional characters and who aren't all evil. And then you can have white people practising martial arts as well.

Well now that you bring it up, the prospect of the hand being more morally ambiguous than first thought was a tantalising prospect taken away too soon.

But that was not my point. My point is that there would be nothing wrong with the Hand having evil asian characters if we actually got more than one asian protagonist.

- - - Updated - - -

Even just having many of the smaller parts like the psychiatrist for example, being played by asian characters would be a small start. The other Netflix shows seemed to me to make quite a lot of effort to make sure that the supporting cast was diverse. And maybe the Meachum's could have been asian? No reason why not. And of course I would have been happy with an asian actor as Danny (I do not think it's necessary for him to be white to be an outsider in K'un L'un. It's literally an alternate dimension. white, asian, whatever - he's going to be an outsider.)

I also think that (racial issues aside) the show really should have focused more on K'un L'un, which would have given us the chance for a lot more asian characters.
    Colleen made up 33% of the good protagonists.
    So add people of a specific race to soothe people who are racially sensitive just to do that? This strikes you as a reasonable action?

What are you talking about? His acting was grating and his accent completely unplaceable. Was it Australian? British? Chinese?

Deleted
    It's 100000% the Original plan. He's Zhou Cheng, the Assassin of Iron Fists, he's biologically CREATED to kill them... Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't make more of him, he would have been a far better heel for the second half of the season than Bakuto.

I'm hoping that they did that because they're saving him for the second season.
    I dunno, as I understand it he was portrayed very differently to the comics, I feel like the plan could have just been to give him a passing nod (which they did to the bride of nine spiders as well). I hope they use him again, but I think if it turns out in season two that the random drunk ninja was actually biologically created to kill Ironfists, that will be pretty jarring to anyone who doesn't know the comics.

The accent was very strange. I've heard a lot of people say that his drunken style was actually very bad.

Isnt Bride of 9 spiders one of the immortal weapons? Hope they didn't screw up her involvement in a potential tournament of the immortal weapons storyline in the future.

Deleted
    Colleen made up 33% of the good protagonists.
    So add people of a specific race to soothe people who are racially sensitive just to do that? This strikes you as a reasonable action?
    Are we forgetting the Meachums? In any case, if your story is all about a certain culture but the way you've written it leaves no room for positive portrayals of that culture, then the way you're writing about that culture is probably fundamentally flawed. It's fallacious to say that there was no room for any more asian characters because a.) there was and b.) the show should imo have been structured completely differently to begin with.

What are you talking about? His acting was grating and his accent completely unplaceable. Was it Australian? British? Chinese?

It was a weird accent. Although for me it was kind of so over the top that it broke into a weird charm. In any case though that's not hisnative accent, he has an american accent. I thought his acting was great. He nailed likeably cocky.

Are we forgetting the Meachums? In any case, if your story is all about a certain culture but the way you've written it leaves no room for positive portrayals of that culture, then the way you're writing about that culture is probably fundamentally flawed. It's fallacious to say that there was no room for any more asian characters because a.) there was and b.) the show should imo have been structured completely differently to begin with.

It was a weird accent. Although for me it was kind of so over the top that it broke into a weird charm. In any case though that's not hisnative accent, he has an american accent. I thought his acting was great. He nailed likeably cocky.
    The Meachum's aren't GOOD protagonists. They're all in the grey area at best.

Deleted
    The Meachum's aren't GOOD protagonists. They're all in the grey area at best.
    Well okay but that is what representation is about. It's about creating a variety of fleshed out characters from a range of backgrounds across the moral spectrum. The Meachums are no moral pillars, but they are some of the most complex characters in the series. they're sympathetic and their flaws are not related to race. Whereas the hand ninjas are pretty undeveloped, rarely if ever sympathetic and their role as evil ninjas has some heavy racial coding. If for example the Meachums had been asian, they would at least have been dynamic asian characters.

I think awesome Asian characters are coming. Since they kept Danny white, I think the odds are increased that we will get Shang Chi in the future. I kinda expect Namor to be Asian if we ever get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Of all the villains Madame Gao was the most interesting, and the only one on the level of Fisk and Kilgrave. Marvel should have capitalized on that instead. The Meachums were interesting too but couldn't carry the show like Fisk and Kilgrave did.
    I like Madame Gao, but I assume she's something more. I didn't think she was Hand in DD though, so this was a little confusing. Senior Meachum was good and something they could kill off without endangering the future usefulness I think. Contrary to many, though I had high hopes for Kingpin I did not like him in the series. Kilgrave also, just irritating. I liked Cottonmouth, but not the sister and Diamondback was just ugh.

The fight scene could have been better. It felt like they wanted to make the fight scenes more grounded but the end result was more than they expected.
    I certainly didn't want Daredevils fighting style of "get beat up a lot", or LC's style of "stand there while I get shot and don't actually fight". Hopefully they find a stride.

I liked what they did with Davos and the new dynamic is more relatable. While the accent (I want to say Irish but I am not sure) is fun it doesn't really make sense for him to have it.
    I like Davos, but the end-scene was pointless. Could have kept some mystery for a next season. Why tease?
    I thought his accent was British-India, which is at least somewhere near Tibet. Not sure why they'd have that accent though.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I like Madame Gao, but I assume she's something more. I didn't think she was Hand in DD though, so this was a little confusing. Senior Meachum was good and something they could kill off without endangering the future usefulness I think. Contrary to many, though I had high hopes for Kingpin I did not like him in the series. Kilgrave also, just irritating. I liked Cottonmouth, but not the sister and Diamondback was just ugh.

I certainly didn't want Daredevils fighting style of "get beat up a lot", or LC's style of "stand there while I get shot and don't actually fight". Hopefully they find a stride.

I like Davos, but the end-scene was pointless. Could have kept some mystery for a next season. Why tease?
    I thought his accent was British-India, which is at least somewhere near Tibet. Not sure why they'd have that accent though.
    If you don't like Kingpin or the Purple Man, the two best villains in the MCU, I'd really like to know which villains you actually like.