Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Is it not my concern when a product becomes more expensive to me because of the choices of others?
    It really is invidious. Not only am I obligated to cover the self-imposed medical costs of the obese, I also get to pay more for food in some ill conceived attempt to alter behavior.

The important thing is that it isn't fat shaming though

- - - Updated - - -

I get a discount on my health insurance if I go to the gym four times per month. That's not a tax, really, but others probably pay more if they don't. Is that what you're talking about?
    I am persistently irritated that health insurance loves going to the gym, but cares not a whit for the couple thousand miles of running or grabbing weights in the hotel.

At least they knock off $100 a year at a $20/race rate.

In other news, water is wet and fire burns. Is anyone particularly surprised by this?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I am persistently irritated that health insurance loves going to the gym, but cares not a whit for the couple thousand miles of running or grabbing weights in the hotel.

At least they knock off $100 a year at a $20/race rate.
    Yeah. The last time I ran a workout app while I was working, I moved about 14km just doing my job.

I was going to edit my challenge above to make it easier. Since I posted that, I went up and down 76 steps, moved a few cases of things that weighed at least 50lbs each, and ate an apple. The easier part, if anyone is following as the challenge asked, I'm about to sit down and watch Netflix for a couple hours before I hit the sack.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Yeah. The last time I ran a workout app while I was working, I moved about 14km just doing my job.

I was going to edit my challenge above to make it easier. Since I posted that, I went up and down 76 steps, moved a few cases of things that weighed at least 50lbs each, and ate an apple. The easier part, if anyone is following as the challenge asked, I'm about to sit down and watch Netflix for a couple hours before I hit the sack.
    I remained sitting With a beer I've got big weekend mileage planned though!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I remained sitting With a beer I've got big weekend mileage planned though!
    Oh yeah... I have 4 pack of some killer local brew I'll take with me. There goes my waistline!

I mean, isn't a potential part of the problem that junk food is generally a lot more affordable than say organic fresh produce or fresh fish, etc? Some people are driven to an unhealthy diet or subsisting on crap like Kraft Dinner because they legitimately can not afford fresh, healthy food. If you want to push for government regulation, wouldn't a better approach be to ensure that buying healthier food is more affordable, through tax breaks or whatever? I think that looking at it from that perspective is going to be a more effective solution, because all that a junk food tax would do is probably drive more people to food banks and welfare programs, etc. A "fat tax" is highly likely to disproportionately punish the unemployed/working poor.

Is there any evidence that for example raising cigarette taxes has any impact on reducing the amount of people that smoke?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What are our politicians waiting for ?!!
    You actually expect politicians to care about our lives?

honestly past a certain bmi threshold these people should suffer death penalty-like consequences

they serve no purpose to society. they are a drain on public health resources. they are visually unpleasant. they force costs of clothing up because companies make XXXXXXXXL sizes to satisfy these fools. majority of them are unemployed because they are lazy and so drain taxpayer money.

a cull past a BMI of 40~ is something i'd fully support.
    Last edited by Floopa; 2017-03-24 at 03:48 AM.

And what exactly are you going to do about fat people?

Come take away the food they paid for?

Refuse to allow them to pay to see a doctor?

Let them starve and rot on the side of the roads?

K. Good luck with that.

A bunch of huffing and puffing, but you wolves are just as weak as the piggies when it comes to action!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberria View Post
    If you want to push for government regulation, wouldn't a better approach be to ensure that buying healthier food is more affordable, through tax breaks or whatever? I think that looking at it from that perspective is going to be a more effective solution, because all that a junk food tax would do is probably drive more people to food banks and welfare programs, etc. A "fat tax" is highly likely to disproportionately punish the unemployed/working poor.
    Where do you want your subsidies going, is the question.

Defining "healthy" food is not an easy task, either. I personally could do about 60% of my calories from carbs (probably do, I don't keep track), and the other 40% split between protein and greens. That's not "healthy" for everyone, but I burn a LOT of energy every day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    And what exactly are you going to do about fat people?
    !
    Make doors smaller.

Where do you want your subsidies going, is the question.

Defining "healthy" food is not an easy task, either.
    Free leafy green shit for all!
    I personally could do about 60% of my calories from carbs (probably do, I don't keep track), and the other 40% split between protein and greens. That's not "healthy" for everyone, but I burn a LOT of energy every day.
    Yeah, same. I eat a lot of the proverbial "empty" carbs, which isn't something that's at all recommended if you're not doing something that's consistently burning glycogen and requiring it being replenished. There's so much variance though. People do better on different things, which is basically your point anyway. We could probably all stand to eat more salmon and green stuff, but aside from that, it's so individual.

Make doors smaller.
    HAHA! At least you are actually using your brain, unlike the chronic complainers that don't do anything about their complaints!

Waste of air, that lot! And noise polluters to boot!

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    so do cigarette smokers. Where's your outrage about them?
    Cigarette smokers don't make Facebook posts about how their lifestyle is healthy and should be accepted by everyone, then proceed to make fun of non-smokers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by plantation View Post
    Cigarette smokers don't make Facebook posts about how their lifestyle is healthy and should be accepted by everyone, then proceed to make fun of non-smokers.
    Largely because second hand coronary heart disease is not a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ooid View Post
    Clearly we need to impose a tax on the obese.
    Yes, yes we do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Yes, yes we do.
    You can have your fat tax as soon as we actually start putting FIRE people in jail for being shitheads that deprive people of their earnings and livelihoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ooid View Post
    Clearly we need to impose a tax on the obese.
    They already pay more for everything they buy and do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    You can have your fat tax as soon as we actually start putting FIRE people in jail for being shitheads that deprive people of their earnings and livelihoods.
    what's a "fire people"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    honestly past a certain bmi threshold these people should suffer death penalty-like consequences

they serve no purpose to society. they are a drain on public health resources. they are visually unpleasant. they force costs of clothing up because companies make XXXXXXXXL sizes to satisfy these fools. majority of them are unemployed because they are lazy and so drain taxpayer money.

a cull past a BMI of 40~ is something i'd fully support.
    so you support mass murder? good to know. i'd argue that your something society can do without in that case.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Government should work hard to encourage and facilitate people to losing weight, but under no circumstances should it ever force or even obligate people to lose it. Freedom comes with many costs, covering some people's poor habbits happens to be one of them as unfortunate as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by xChurch View Post
    Government should work hard to encourage and facilitate people to losing weight, but under no circumstances should it ever force or even obligate people to lose it. Freedom comes with many costs, covering some people's poor habbits happens to be one of them as unfortunate as it is.
    I really don't see how extracting wealth from some people to pay for other people's bad habits is a pro-freedom policy. At best this is a net neutral.