Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

GWENT: The Witcher Card Game (BETA)

Heres the main site
    https://www.playgwent.com/en

For those not in the know, here is what Gwent is:
    http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Gwent

Who is in the Gwent beta? I just got in, got to level 6 and am currently running northern realms.

Current review of Gwent: Just put in a couple of hours, but I really really really like the changes they made from the Witcher 3 game to this standalone game. The game def feels more balanced. Nilf and NR are not amazingly more OP. There is a lack of spy draw spam, etc.

Lovin it.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2017-03-23 at 09:58 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    So now there is Hearthstone, the Elder scrolls card game (Legends?) and this.....
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    So now there is Hearthstone, the Elder scrolls card game (Legends?) and this.....
    Gwent was one of the best parts of Witcher 3. Its now a stand alone game that is less broken. In Witcher 3, its broken AF like you can just dominate no matter the difficulty

It was also funny

Like you kill some monsters, do a bunch of quests, go to a tavern and play fucking yugioh.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2017-03-23 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Hearthstone was so popular and revolutionary (ala WoW) that everybody is trying to copy it and make their bad version of it (ala Warhammer, AoC, Wildstar, SWTOR, etc, etc, etc).

And thus the cycle repeats.

Oh I forgot they emailed me the beta code the other day but it said "GOG" and I don't feel like downloading that. It's a...platform like Steam right? Sounds annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Oh I forgot they emailed me the beta code the other day but it said "GOG" and I don't feel like downloading that. It's a...platform like Steam right? Sounds annoying.
    This. If it was on steam I'd have used the key or if the key was for PS4, but I really don't need another crappy client on my pc.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

I just got into this as well. My friend tried it before me and said "the crafting is like hearthstone" well i ignored the game cause im not doing that hearthstone crap. I figure, if one system is like it, then others will be. Example: Not getting anything but experience for losing. Meaning you HAVE to win to get new cards. He told me to try it anyways.

Loving the game. Makes me feel like I did in my days of playing Yugioh and MTG, where I actually have to think about what to play and not just play the strongest thing I draw every turn.

My favorite game I've played so far was, I won the first round. Second round I played a Medic, who summoned the siege support. Then played a Reaver Scout, targeted the medic, summoning another medic and Ballista. Next turn I used my leaders power on the Scout, summoning another scout, and another Siege support. My opponent quit. lol
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    I just got into this as well. My friend tried it before me and said "the crafting is like hearthstone" well i ignored the game cause im not doing that hearthstone crap. I figure, if one system is like it, then others will be. Example: Not getting anything but experience for losing. Meaning you HAVE to win to get new cards. He told me to try it anyways.

Loving the game. Makes me feel like I did in my days of playing Yugioh and MTG, where I actually have to think about what to play and not just play the strongest thing I draw every turn.

My favorite game I've played so far was, I won the first round. Second round I played a Medic, who summoned the siege support. Then played a Reaver Scout, targeted the medic, summoning another medic and Ballista. Next turn I used my leaders power on the Scout, summoning another scout, and another Siege support. My opponent quit. lol
    I never played hearthstone so I dont know how similar it is, but it certainly feels like a more balanced Gwent from Witcher 3. I bluff in almost every single game and trading rounds is a legit strat. Its hilarious seeing an opponent overthink in round 1 while you sit back knowing they will do the move you cant counter, but need a clean board to continue and get certain card advantage. Bluffing is so much fun in this game.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2017-03-24 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I never played hearthstone so I dont know how similar it is, but it certainly feels like a more balanced Gwent from Witcher 3. I bluff in almost every single game and trading rounds is a legit strat. Its hilarious seeing an opponent overthink in round 1 while you sit back knowing they will do the move you cant counter, but need a clean board to continue and get certain card advantage. Bluffing is so much fun in this game.
    It's a lot better than hearthstone.

I've had several games where I would play like..a 5. Then pass the next turn and give my opponent the round cause he went big on the first play, and end up winning the whole game cause of it. lol
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im trying to build my deck a bit more, I just feel I lack power. May swap out my blue strip commandos (the guys who give +4)

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    This. If it was on steam I'd have used the key or if the key was for PS4, but I really don't need another crappy client on my pc.
    I think GOG is worth supporting, because games there have do DRM. I hate that most game developers treat us like thieves. I kinda regret that I bought Witcher 3 on Steam instead of GOG.

10+ Year Old Account
    im wondering if I should switch to a Skellige or monster deck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    I think GOG is worth supporting, because games there have no DRM. I hate that most game developers treat us like thieves. I kinda regret that I bought Witcher 3 on Steam instead of GOG.
    It may be different for Gwent being a beta but generally GOG games don't actually require GOG Galaxy to run, as said there's no DRM so you can just run them directly.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Levled up for rank play so gonna try that later

kinda unfair right now in quick match because I am lower level than who I am placed with by a lot........ and they have a lot more gold cards than I have

Deleted
    1. You don't need to download GoG to use the code. You can use it on their site. But if you're willing to miss on a great game due to not researching... good for you.

2. This is not a Hearthstone copy. Is it a card game? Yes. But that's about it. It would be like saying Red Alert is a copy of Warcraft Orcs and Humans because they're both RTS. That would be stupid. Also, they made the game a stand-alone because people who played Witcher 3 asked for it.

Also, their card received system is tons better than Hearthstone. You know why? Because you get to choose your last card from 3 cards. And it's always at least a rare.

- - - Updated - - -

im wondering if I should switch to a Skellige or monster deck.
    Both are great opportunities. From what I saw Northern Realms only becomes good once you get a few gold cards or the Promote card. Or Henselt.
    Same for Nilffgard, you need to get a few cards to pull off the spying thing.

Also, don't use the standard decks, they're weak.

Also, the elves... I had found a good strategy with dwarves, but they sort of nerfed it, am now trying an ambush strategy but missing some cards yet. Still, it's funny to smack a face down card onto the enemy's deck and them wondering what it is and throwing 100 cards around then you pass as it was mostly used for them to lose points advantage lol.

For Skellige you have a few strategies:
    Cards that hurt themselves then double-buff cards that are hurt.
    Cards that become better when they die then resurrecting them.
    Cards that get buffed when the enemies are hurt coupled with cards that hurt the enemy.

For Monsters:
    Nekkers, nekkers everyhwere
    Board effects like fog etc coupled with weather immune monsters.
    Monsters that are buffed when others absorb power coupled with monsters that absorb power. Throw in a harpy too and the enemy will forefit.
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2017-03-26 at 06:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I went up against an amazing Nilf deck

It powered up through card reveal, but the guy literally jut revealed his own hand, its like "heres how I am gonna kick ur ass"

Also monster weather control! Damn

I didnt like socatail (elves that I cant spell) and i just sold off the cards to buy some good silvers... which were nerfed, but still good

I have the 3 witchers (lambert, Vesimir, and Eskel), and trololo (actual card name)

how does one get a key?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmkyungri View Post
    how does one get a key?
    Its random

I signed up for a key, but ppl who didnt even play Witcher 3 or know what Gwent was got it before me.

- - - Updated - - -

Very disappoint that it's poor infantry and not poor fucking infantry

- - - Updated - - -

I crafted a yenn

Deleted
    I went up against an amazing Nilf deck

It powered up through card reveal, but the guy literally jut revealed his own hand, its like "heres how I am gonna kick ur ass"

Also monster weather control! Damn

I didnt like socatail (elves that I cant spell) and i just sold off the cards to buy some good silvers... which were nerfed, but still good

I have the 3 witchers (lambert, Vesimir, and Eskel), and trololo (actual card name)
    Yes, well, sometimes with a Nilfgard deck you might end up revealing parts of your cards as well. But as long as you have cards that are buffed by revealed cards, it's good.

And yes, the monster control deck is a pain, met it a few times. I just couldn't do shit.

I like the elves, but I don't really find any of their leaders' powers useful.
    I mean, redraw 3 cards - ok... but other can summon amazing minions, debuff yours or clone cards, this power is highly situational, especially since you redraw cards, not draw new ones to add.
    Then there's replay a card - can be useful, I liked it since I used to use it with the buffing minion to buff a whole row then re-buff it again... but now that minion only buffs 2 cards so... the leader power became lame, since at most I can get 6 as a bonus while the other factions' leader powers are better.
    Last, but not least, the dwarf - Look at all Silver cards in your deck. Play one and place the others back randomly in your deck. - can be useful, in fact the only useful Scoia'tel leader now. Which is kind of sad.

And yes, I saw Trololo too on a loading screen!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Yes, well, sometimes with a Nilfgard deck you might end up revealing parts of your cards as well. But as long as you have cards that are buffed by revealed cards, it's good.

And yes, the monster control deck is a pain, met it a few times. I just couldn't do shit.

I like the elves, but I don't really find any of their leaders' powers useful.
    I mean, redraw 3 cards - ok... but other can summon amazing minions, debuff yours or clone cards, this power is highly situational, especially since you redraw cards, not draw new ones to add.
    Then there's replay a card - can be useful, I liked it since I used to use it with the buffing minion to buff a whole row then re-buff it again... but now that minion only buffs 2 cards so... the leader power became lame, since at most I can get 6 as a bonus while the other factions' leader powers are better.
    Last, but not least, the dwarf - Look at all Silver cards in your deck. Play one and place the others back randomly in your deck. - can be useful, in fact the only useful Scoia'tel leader now. Which is kind of sad.

And yes, I saw Trololo too on a loading screen!
    Yea, but the deck I faced was a deck that literally was meant to reveal itself to power itself up and I thought that was awesome.
    Scoia'tel decks really arent too good. They def need a buff. I actually sacked the entire starter deck for scrap to make the three Witchers and Trololo

I currently am not using trololo as less people are running too many front row heavy decks as compared to a few days ago for some reason.