Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DrIvoRobotnik View Post
    Or you know... know your client before hiring them? Jon is pretty well known for being scandalous and anti-PC. Making a stand and statement instead of apathetic to the latent situation was bond to create a much greater stir. However big name companies like Pepsi and Disney are a-okay with the unstable political correctness of Mr. Jarfari, I find it strange that Playtonic would do something so last second over petty un-related squabbles. It's also pretty up-setting to Jontron fans having the rug pulled out form underneath them like this with less a month from release.
    Whether you agree with him or not, there is a pretty big difference between being "anti-PC" and the things JonTron talked during that debate. Pretty much no one knew he had these strong beliefs. In the end, Playtonic probably saw how a lot of Jontron fans were saying they didn't want to stop watching his vids, but felt they needed to because they didn't want to indirectly support him through watching his content. So they felt that some people would choose not to buy their game if they knew JonTron was in it, thinking (correctly or incorrectly) that he would get a cut.

Deleted
    So, basically;
    - he got paid for his work
    - his role was not that big, so he didn't lose all that much
    - he gained more publicity via this than the game itself

I wouldn't care if i was in his shoes to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    When you make a living off being likeable to random strangers, what can possibly possess you to go full retard like this?
    With things like:
    - the brexit vote
    - american presidental elections
    and so on turning out the way they did one can pretty much say: "being likeable" is a very subjective matter... and seems to have shifted for the majority into the direction of anti-PC.
    Last edited by mmocda667d9fcc; 2017-03-24 at 06:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, now I can't enjoy his Fireworks cover as much.

I kind of feel bad because of how much Jon adores Banjo Kazooie and the people that made it.

However, people seem to forget the other half of free speech is the part where people can criticize someone for their opinion (opinions on opinions on opinions). This is Playtonic doing that and they're fully within their rights to do so.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

Deleted
    Oh noes, he pissed off the SJWs. The tragedy!

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    So, basically;
    - he got paid for his work
    - his role was not that big, so he didn't lose all that much
    - he gained more publicity via this than the game itself

I wouldn't care if i was in his shoes to be honest.

With things like:
    - the brexit vote
    - american presidental elections
    and so on turning out the way they did one can pretty much say: "being likeable" is a very subjective matter... and seems to have shifted for the majority into the direction of anti-PC.
    The presidential elections were the most extreme version of "being likeable". The mistake is the assumption that the most effective way to market yourself to be PC to appeal to the majority. You just have to lie and put the blame for the shit they face on others, say what they wanna hear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mordago View Post
    Oh noes, he pissed off the SJWs. The tragedy!
    This was a situation a bit beyond sjw's and anti-sjw's.

personally, i'm completely "eh" about this topic. It won't stop me from consuming the content he provides. At best his statements are eye-roll worthy as he's clearly not a venomous racist out to destroy lives. Those are the sort people should be taking issue with and there's plenty of those to go around. Not these easy targets like jontron where you give yourself a pat on the back for having taken action against.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2017-03-24 at 08:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fantastic news, hes a bellend. But ma free speech!!!!

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Or, avoid being caught up in some bullshit drama that doesn't benefit them in the slightest. There's no benefit to associating with JonTron right now, given the rep he has publicly and even amongst his own fans.

Nothing to do with virtue signaling in this case.
    There is no Benefit in not associating with him either. HIs "rep" is basically the same it always has been minus the few spastics that are butthurt at him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    When you make a living off being likeable to random strangers, what can possibly possess you to go full retard like this?
    Probably his whole point that people will go full retards themselves over statistics while being virtue signalling hack hypocrites?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    There is no Benefit in not associating with him either. HIs "rep" is basically the same it always has been minus the few spastics that are butthurt at him.
    His rep is about as low as you can get without hitting Katie Hopkins/Ann Coulter levels.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    "We're for freedom and the private industry"

'FUCKING PRIVATE COMPANY CHANGING THEIR PRIVATE PRODUCT TO AVOID CONTROVERSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'
    It's almost like we are and have always been criticizing the legitimacy of peoples' actions and not the mere fact that they are making them.

Like how we mocked a certain pop culture critic not because they dared to criticize the monolith that is video games but because they chose to do so with blatant lies, stolen content, and many sociological statements you're supposed to take at face value because they don't back them up and can't back them up because actual research has failed to prove those claims.

As someone who actively participated in this it's puzzling that you now choose to completely misrepresent it and accuse others of hypocrisy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I find it hard to believe that there's anyone who's never heard of Banjo Kazooie, but knows who Jontron is.
    I share this doubt (to the effect that I don't believe any significant number of people who fall into this category exist). My statement was more to the effect that the news of this is spreading far and wide and there's now likely people who have never heard of both and will now forever associate the two, and because of the headlines all pointing out he is racist said association is not of benefit to the game.

Whereas in an alternate universe I find it more likely that a headline to the effect of "Playtonic refuses to comment on the political views of youtuber with cameo role in their game" (though real journalists would probably have something more succinct) wouldn't be quite as attractive as clickbait and probably wouldn't get shared much outside the circles of people who look for social issues to be upset about.

I don't support any boycotts of this game. I still sit on the fence of waiting to see its release and if it's actually any good. I just find it funny that many people have fallen into saying Playtonic is avoiding drama by doing something guaranteed to create it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    It's almost like we are and have always been criticizing the legitimacy of peoples' actions and not the mere fact that they are making them.

Like how we mocked a certain pop culture critic not because they dared to criticize the monolith that is video games but because they chose to do so with blatant lies, stolen content, and many sociological statements you're supposed to take at face value because they don't back them up and can't back them up because actual research has failed to prove those claims.

As someone who actively participated in this it's puzzling that you now choose to completely misrepresent it and accuse others of hypocrisy.

I share this doubt (to the effect that I don't believe any significant number of people who fall into this category exist). My statement was more to the effect that the news of this is spreading far and wide and there's now likely people who have never heard of both and will now forever associate the two, and because of the headlines all pointing out he is racist said association is not of benefit to the game.

Whereas in an alternate universe I find it more likely that a headline to the effect of "Playtonic refuses to comment on the political views of youtuber with cameo role in their game" (though real journalists would probably have something more succinct) wouldn't be quite as attractive as clickbait and probably wouldn't get shared much outside the circles of people who look for social issues to be upset about.

I don't support any boycotts of this game. I still sit on the fence of waiting to see its release and if it's actually any good. I just find it funny that many people have fallen into saying Playtonic is avoiding drama by doing something guaranteed to create it.
    They are avoiding drama by disassociating now rather than dealing with any dumb fake outrage when its learned he was cut out at release.

They are a kick starter, they have a project on the line, and its a project meant to give us fans of old platformer collectathons a game to feel like kids again with. Its not meant to be involved in stupid internet bullshit. That whole crowd is really annoying, look at Mass Effect 4.... yes we get it, its "SJW propaganda" because you can fuck literally anything and women have hairstyles that arent ponytails.... it has been known for 3 prior games. Why would Playtonic want to deal with that same crowd on release? Why not nip it in the bud and deal with the fallout to a lesser degree, since lets face it, the internet is short sighted and only the most rabid and dieheart jon fans will even bother. I can already see them trolling metacritic with bad scores due to this now..... aka doing exactly what they claim PC people do, aka attempt to destroy someones (in this case, a whole studios) livelihood due to disagreement.

And what the fuck does
    even mean? Whose we? What legitimacy?
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2017-03-24 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    They are avoiding drama
    No they're not. They are trying to minimize it, and I am calling that decision into question since I think taking no action beyond saying Jontron's views are his own would deflect criticisms more effectively.
    And what the fuck does

even mean? Whose we? What legitimacy?
    You would do well to read the post I was responding to for that context.

10+ Year Old Account
    No they're not. They are trying to minimize it, and I am calling that decision into question since I think taking no action beyond saying Jontron's views are his own would deflect criticisms more effectively.

You would do well to read the post I was responding to for that context.
    Glad you read past my first sentence there

Glad you read past my first sentence there
    He says after twice now not addressing any of points, just regurgitating the exact same argument as everyone else that I was already addressing.

No one cared until a couple days ago that Jontron did a voice in this game. We can be sure there will be another totally Hitler youtuber for everyone to be outraged over soon enough. As you said, the internet is short-sighted.

10+ Year Old Account
    He says after twice now not addressing any of points, just regurgitating the exact same argument as everyone else that I was already addressing.

No one cared until a couple days ago that Jontron did a voice in this game. We can be sure there will be another totally Hitler youtuber for everyone to be outraged over soon enough. As you said, the internet is short-sighted.
    Oh dont worry, would come up by some click bait article on the games release to get maximum clickage. Then an internet "war" would assume leading to bullshit press on the game they dont want

Shocker I know.

better to deal with it now than on the games actual release.

Oh dont worry, would come up by some click bait article on the games release to get maximum clickage. Then an internet "war" would assume leading to bullshit press on the game they dont want

Shocker I know.

better to deal with it now than on the games actual release.
    Why? Before release it might kill hype. If they left his voice in the game and any articles accusing them of supporting his views popped up around release they could just say his views are his own, not theirs. Then the only internet outcry is the people who are probably going to find something sexist/racist/homo/transphobic in the game regardless of any virtue signalling taking place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why? Before release it might kill hype. If they left his voice in the game and any articles accusing them of supporting his views popped up around release they could just say his views are his own, not theirs. Then the only internet outcry is the people who are probably going to find something sexist/racist/homo/transphobic in the game regardless of any virtue signalling taking place.
    I dont really see the hype dying. It makes a certain group seem more petty though. Now it can be argued that they want to restrict freedom of association of a company that simply does not want to deal in bullshit.

I dont really see the hype dying. It makes a certain group seem more petty though. Now it can be argued that they want to restrict freedom of association of a company that simply does not want to deal in bullshit.
    Except they are dealing in bullshit. They made a proclamation and that escalated things. That was their choice. They didn't have to do that. And I am arguing that this proclamation was a poor choice and less drama would have been generated by saying nothing and dealing with criticism the same way major companies tend to do so. You can work with someone and distance yourself from them, it happens all the time.

I say those who preach guilt by association are far more petty...

10+ Year Old Account
    Except they are dealing in bullshit. They made a proclamation and that escalated things. That was their choice. They didn't have to do that. And I am arguing that this proclamation was a poor choice and less drama would have been generated by saying nothing and dealing with criticism the same way major companies tend to do so. You can work with someone and distance yourself from them, it happens all the time.

I say those who preach guilt by association are far more petty...
    They are dealing with bullshit of a smaller community before a games release. Rather than a bigger more click bait enduing thing during release.

whose preaching guilt by association? They dont have to deal with him if they dont want to. Are you saying its petty to not be forced into BS you dont want to deal with?

They are dealing with bullshit of a smaller community before a games release. Rather than a bigger more click bait enduing thing during release.

whose preaching guilt by association? They dont have to deal with him if they dont want to. Are you saying its petty to not be forced into BS you dont want to deal with?
    If they left him in the game the only BS to deal with would be the clickbait press throwing accusations at them for supporting Jontron's views. All they would have to say is that his views are his own, and anyone who continued to blame them would be those who preach guilt by association.