Deleted

Holy Pally Noob Questions

Hi Guys,

I had a break from wow (previously mained a DK), and was aiming to come back for as a casual player. - I know I know, dont hate me!

I've never healed in any MMO before, but have always wanted to give a paladin a go, and thought it would be a good chance to give healing a try. I guess my question is generally how hard is healing to learn, and specificially holy pally healing difficulty. Is mythic + and raid healing straightforward (I was a bit worried about aoe healing)?

Also what addons are the best to use? I've heard alot about healbot. Is that still the go to?

Any other tips of tricks would be appreciated.

Deleted
    Holy is my offspec and I don't have a huge amount of experience but I did main a holy priest previously.

1) In a raid scenario you are not a raid/aoe healer in the same was that a Holy P / Druid / Shammy is. You will be primarily responsible for keeping the tanks healed, but can also offer some heals to melee with Light of Dawn, and burst single target heals using holy shock in an 'oh shit someone just dropped by 80% HP' situation.
    For M+ Beacon of Virtue, in your level 100 talent tree, is your friend. Pop that, heal single target and get everyone up.

2)There are essentially 2 healing styles:
    - Click the raid frame of the person you want to heal and then press the hotkey for the spell you want to cast
    - Install an addon (healbot, clique, Click Grid Sets) that lets you bind spells to key & mouse combinations (shift + left mouse button, alt + middle mouse button, etc) and then you click the raid frames directly. (this is my preferred option and I wouldn't be able to heal any other way.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cetraben View Post
    Why not use mouseover macros as an alternative here also?
    That works too, just not something i've ever considered. Probably because i'm too lazy to set it up.
    Are there any benefits of this over an addon? Apart from the self heal part, which arguably isn't a benefit if you don't need healing at the time / could be a wasted CD/GCD/mana

Why not use mouseover macros as an alternative here also?
    Addons like clique and (I assume, since I haven't used it in forever) healbot are basically mouseover macros that only work on the corresponding frames. So, for example, you can bind 2 to flash of light on your raid frames but have 2 be crusader strike whenever your cursor isn't over those frames. They also let you just use left/right mouse clicks to cast spells.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2017-03-24 at 01:40 PM.

The below should work for this scenario.
    Yes, I'm sure there are ways to do that. But these addons make it easier, especially for someone who is just getting into healing. Instead of worrying about macros, all you'd have to do is go into the interface and set up your buttons. That way you can leave your dps keybinds as they are and focus on getting your healing spells the way you want.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2017-03-24 at 03:10 PM.

Once you've made one mouseover, you've got them all. You just change the key words in there. I have mouseovers for pretty much everything, both healing, and for dots on spriest/lock.

The thing i prefer about mouseovers is they don't fuck up at new launch time. However, I started healing using vudho or some shit (when i was a dirty priest).

I'd just say try which method you like. Also, play around with where your raid frames are and shit.

I personally use healbot and i have been since Wrath. Ive mained a Hpally since the beginning and currently raiding mythic. With Hpally there a lot different to other healers. Your main focus is that we are the best tank healers in the game. But because of this we should tunnel all healing into the tanks because of our beacons. But that doesn't mean we cannot do aoe healing. I use AoS and don't have lege ring but I still have over 600k hps with 3 other healers in the raid. Healing as a Hpally is not difficult at all, basically it comes down to managing CD's and mana use. You also have to know when to use Holy Light and FoL on a target as this will save mana to use during a heavy healing phase. If you don't like using healbot mouseover macros are the way to go, if u are clicking on the frame then casting chancers are that the target may die before u get the cast off. But I would try out different talents such as AM and Sanctified wrath, Divine purpose and so on.

Deleted
    Depends what difficulty you're playing. On Raid Finder or Normal I find myself largely just healing whats taking damage, the actual damage on tanks or dps is pretty minimal. So to say you're a tank healer is pretty misleading. You're in heroic and mythic certainly. But in normal and raid finder there really isnt enough damage on the tanks for you to just heal the tanks. You'd be standing around like a spare part if you did that.
    Also I find Clique to be the best addon for healing especially with a Pala.

Also a word of warning about being low geared in 5 mans, to start with with no experience its gonna seem like Light of Dawn just isnt enough. Stick with it and take beacon of the lightbringer. At your gear level using the other ones means you're going to end up panic healing with LoTM which is really wrong. Where as with Beacon of the Lightbringer Light of Dawn has a better reach and heals for a fairly decent amount.
    Once you learn the basics of paladin and you can heal to a decent degree then you can move on. Also with the change to Judgement of light Its really strong in Raid Finder and normals. Oh and one last thing Divine Purpose is your friend at low gear levels it helps you not oom with free costing spells. Good luck.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the comments about healing tanks. Just to be clear, yes Holy Paladins are great tank healers. This is why what we excel at and there is no argument there. However, there is a misconception in this thread that you should be targeting your tanks with your heals primarily. This is not the case and if done will result in a lot of overhealing and depending on gear and raid composition it can also lead to mana issues for yourself or other healers. In order to optimize mana and tank healing it is best to heal anyone that needs healing other than the tanks. Holy Paladin beacons will transfer up to 40%(depending on which beacon talent is taken, I recommend Beacon of Faith for Nighthold) to the tank/s which have your beacon/s on them. This will increase your effective healing and reduce overhealing. You WILL have to heal your tanks directly from time to time, however if you are spamming tanks and not healing the raid then you are doing it wrong. Ideally you will use Holy Shock on the raid members that need healing and FoL or HL on your tanks for the mana return. Try not to Holy shock the tanks if you dont need to. Just my 2 cents.

Deleted
    Use VuhDo and love life as a holy pally.

Sorry to piggyback off your thread, but I've got a noob question as well. As a more tank healer rather than raid healer, should I be worried about overall HPS? I'm swapping over from ret, and trying to compete with a resto druid/shaman, and MW monk and occasional holy priest is some SERIOUS work and I often fall pretty far behind on the numbers. I don't know if I'm missing something, or if I'm just really terrible at trying to line up heals so they hit my beacons or what.

Deleted
    you're not a tank healer

yes you should worry about hps