Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Well, looks like they enjoy wasting the court's time overturning it.
    They've already covered that.

“They’re on salary so there's no additional cost to the state to the AG's office to defend anything we do at the legislature that might be challenged.”

Go to love flyover country...

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    This is fraught with problems, not the least of which being that we're not a theocracy and a lawmaker so explicitly using religious beliefs to strip people of their rights should be disconcerting to us all.
    Yeah, but... SHARIA LAW

7+ Year Old Account
    Devil's advocate and all that, the title is... disingenuous. That aside, religion has no place outside of the personal lives of those who practice it. Additionally, neither government nor anyone else has the right or authority to dictate how one lives their personal life, especially in instances of bodily autonomy like abortion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zandro View Post
    I am a Republican and strong Christian, and let me just say -

NOTHING GOOD WILL EVER COME FROM RAPE. EVER. JUST STOP.
    You're missing the point - the republicans want to preserve the traditional family unit at any cost, since it is the pillar of a healthy economy. One way to do this is to ensure that everyone that can be pregnant is pregnant, regardless of how it happens. This is why they hate abortions; babies stimulate capitalism like nothing else.

http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/.../16/id/638995/

A man works significantly harder when he does so to support someone besides himself, and the Right loves that.

The Oklahoma House of Representatives passed a bill this week outlawing abortions in cases of fetal abnormalities.
    This is the sadder thing here. Both things are par for the course for GOP, but this opinion, while wrong on so many levels, is just yet another moron talking bullshit on the level of legitimate rape. But this legislation can negatively impact tons of women, their partners and children. Children that GOP lawmaker won't give a shit about once they are born, no matter what disorders they have due to fetal abnormalities and how negatively their entire lives will be impacted by it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

religion - trying to make the world a worse place since it was invented.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    This is the sadder thing here. Both things are par for the course for GOP, but this opinion, while wrong on so many levels, is just yet another moron talking bullshit on the level of legitimate rape. But this legislation can negatively impact tons of women, their partners and children. Children that GOP lawmaker won't give a shit about once they are born, no matter what disorders they have due to fetal abnormalities and how negatively their entire lives will be impacted by it.
    If only they did even that. You know they are going to blame the parents and those crippled kids who are not able to hold on to a job because of their disabilities. Calling them lazy leechers and all that typical crap. So it's even worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    So some republicans want to force women to have children even if they have major health issues while also taking away the health care needed to take care of said children from many of them? Awesome. I just love the direction this country is heading...

The only thing bills like this will do is force women to turn to unsanctioned and dangerous means to have an abortion.

The Oklahoma House of Representatives passed a bill this week outlawing abortions in cases of fetal abnormalities.

In a follow-up statement to an Oklahoma NBC affiliate, Republican Rep. George Fraught hinted there was beauty in a pregnancy that resulted from incest or rape.
    So, if the parents do not want the child, it will probably end up in a state funded institution. Thus costing taxpayers even more money.

For a political faction that is so anti-tax, they sure do make some fucking boneheaded financial decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    So some republicans want to force women to have children even if they have major health issues while also taking away the health care needed to take care of said children from many of them? Awesome. I just love the direction this country is heading...

The only thing bills like this will do is force women to turn to unsanctioned and dangerous means to have an abortion.
    These people think disabled children are challenges of god and poor people are poor because of their character.

Look up prosperity gospel

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    So, if the parents do not want the child, it will probably end up in a state funded institution. Thus costing taxpayers even more money.

For a political faction that is so anti-tax, they sure do make some fucking boneheaded financial decisions.
    because to these people, religion & beliefs trump logic and common sense, they shouldn't have the job in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    How about keeping religions away from the law?
    I think I'd agree with that for the most part. At least on the level he seems to be going with. Letting your religion guide your sense of morality and using your sense of morality to influence your government is one thing. But just look at Saudi Arabia and a lot of other terrible countries that are terrible because they let religion control their government. Not a good idea.

That said, I don't see anything wrong with his statement about how good can come of rape. Yes, rape is terrible. But a child born of rape could be the next Einstein or Gandhi. Who knows? He didn't say or even imply that rape is good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Those who believe in imaginary entities should not be working in the government with a separation of church and state, especially if they favor the consequences of rape.
    Politicians can believe in a flying spaghetti monster if they want to. Nothing wrong with that as long as they keep their policies focused on what is best for the people. Religion does not make you incapable of making wise political/legislative decisions.

I'm quite sure you could find some rape victims who decided to raise the kid born of rape who would say otherwise. There's never any justification for it or anything that makes it OK, but to say nothing good could ever come of it is probably inaccurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Only good result from those would be if we castrated the guilty. But I do agree with the basic legislation's purpose.
    replace castrated with executed.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account

Exactly. It takes some backwards ass logic to look at a rape case and then try to find "beauty" in it by saying something like "Yes she was horribly raped, but look she carried the child to term and it turned out perfectly fine, and now there's a lovely new child in the world - God planned the whole thing, that child wouldn't have life if it weren't for rape."

Fuck that, and fuck God's plan if that's what it is. One of the great parts about being human, according to his own religion, is the freedom to make choices for ourselves. Blindly following without questioning is never the road to goodness.

I could go kill a kid's pet dog right now and claim it's God's plan. She might get a new dog because of that, how beautiful. I could go cut off my leg, eat it, and claim it's God's plan. Wow, such beauty. Kill myself and leave my family alone, it's beautiful because it's God's plan.

Seriously these guys seem a lot more like heretics than Christians they purport to be, since their God appears to be Tzeentch.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2017-03-24 at 04:55 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    Politicians can believe in a flying spaghetti monster if they want to. Nothing wrong with that as long as they keep their policies focused on what is best for the people. Religion does not make you incapable of making wise political/legislative decisions.
    That's not the case here.

As a Christian, I don't understand why religion is being openly discussed during the lawmaking process in a U.S. state in 2017. First off, phrases like "rape and incest could be part of God’s will" make me wonder why you'd follow a deity who you think is all about that shit. Secondly, your religious beliefs are (or should be at least, from a practical standpoint) completely irrelevant to the legislative process. I mean, shit, at least hide behind a "this is the will of my constituents" argument (probably not far from the truth in large swaths of Oklahoma) rather than admitting in a legislative chamber that you can't separate your religious beliefs from your job responsibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Only good result from those would be if we castrated the guilty. But I do agree with the basic legislation's purpose.
    You agree with legislation that forces women to carry incest babies to terms based on "The Will of God"?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    This is what really religious people believe, it's called A Just World. It means that everything that happens to you, you deserve as part of gods plan. Misfortune of any kind is in other words something you had coming.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    That's not the case here.
    You're absolutely right. This guy took it too far. He's an example of what not to do. But he doesn't represent every single politician who is also religious.