Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    How does pet battles affect your character or the story?

- - - Updated - - -

Is the paper that comes inside a gift bag content?
    Considering that comparison is too idiotic to even be worth commenting on really I'm going to say that even if Blizzard adds a landmass to the game with nothing else it is still content in the game. It might not be worth doing but it doesn't change the fact that it is still content. Not everything in the game has to be something that's story driven or character focused to be content it's just an activity or something you can engage in in the game that keeps you occupied. A landmass with nothing in it is content that probably won't keep me interested for very long other than maybe to explore it once, if there's nothing else than it's not a particularly useful piece of content but it's still content.

Apparently a lot of other people feel that way because remember the crying when Thal'dranath was removed. It was literally a landmass with NOTHING on it and people were crying their eyes out pretty hard over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    It doesn't matter. Pet Battles are content added to the game. Optional content for those that want to do it. Content doesn't have to specifically progress your character or story all of the time. That's why side content like pet battles exist. Same with the Micro Holidays.
    Do you consider the paper that comes inside gift bags, content of the present?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Whenever something is added to the game that can being interacted with.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Every ounce of code added, even if it's just a single one-off quest, is content.
    New order hall mission? New content.
    New color variant to a random legpiece? New content.

The arguments typically devolve into whether or not people "like" the content, whether they "desire" the content, or whether they feel "obligated" to do it.
    Some people don't like pet battles, so the pet battle dungeon coming up is not content to them because they won't do it.
    Some people may think it's cool a pet battle dungeon is added, but would have rather had a new/expanded raid in place of it, so it's 'bad' content.
    Some people may think that *have* to max every single pet in their journal to be able to optimally handle every single scenario, so they fabricate this obligation in their minds that it must be done.

the whole thing about the class mount and the "grind" required to get it is silly.
    It's cosmetic, does not increase power level, and in essence is purely optional (but isn't all video games? but I digress...).
    Now, some people may want it, but not want to grind for it, and that's okay, but that doesn't make it any less of a piece of "content" nor does it make it "bad" content.

Anyway, everything added from a random bracer design up to raid bosses and class tuning is content.
    Whether people like it or not is the purely subjective piece of the equation and where the hottest debate originates.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well Jaylock, its not every day that I post in one of your threads, but I have to agree with you on this one. I think the idea that anything that they add that wasn't there before counts. It may not exactly be content that someone, as an individual, cares about, but its still content. I don't PVP that often (about once a week), but if they had a patch that was adding 1 or 2 new battlegrounds or arena, I'd be happy for those people that play that. Why wouldn't I be? Its still Blizzard adding something to the game. Now, they don't always do the big content dumps (selfie patch), but they are still adding things.

Is the paper that comes inside a gift bag content?
    Yep.

Content: the things that are held or included in something. If you take all the contents out of the bag, that paper is coming out.

Whether you see it as valuable content is up to you but it's still content.

OT: Anything that wasn't there before the patch is new content.

Quote Originally Posted by lanesia24 View Post
    Considering that comparison is too idiotic to even be worth commenting on really I'm going to say that even if Blizzard adds a landmass to the game with nothing else it is still content in the game. It might not be worth doing but it doesn't change the fact that it is still content. Not everything in the game has to be something that's story driven or character focused to be content it's just an activity or something you can engage in in the game that keeps you occupied. A landmass with nothing in it is content that probably won't keep me interested for very long other than maybe to explore it once, if there's nothing else than it's not a particularly useful piece of content but it's still content.

Apparently a lot of other people feel that way because remember the crying when Thal'dranath was removed. It was literally a landmass with NOTHING on it and people were crying their eyes out pretty hard over that.
    It's not an idiotic comparison, but quit name calling. You have called people imbeciles and idiotic now. Just stop with the bullshit.

Now to your point, so anything inside the game is considered content to you? What a bland life, that you can be so enthralled with paper/cosmetics that it appeases you.
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Do you consider the paper that comes inside gift bags, content of the present?
    Are you kidding? That is the silliest comparison I have ever heard of. A mount being added is content being added to the game, Pet battles are content. Not every piece of game content has to be about advancement. Again if you think that you are playing the wrong genre of game. MMOs have had non advancement content since the early days of Everquest.

Quote Originally Posted by Snackpack View Post
    Yep.

Content: the things that are held or included in something. If you take all the contents out of the bag, that paper is coming out.

Whether you see it as valuable content is up to you but it's still content.
    But it's not part of the point of the present, it's not the present, but still content? What kind of logic is that?

But it's not part of the point of the present, it's not the present, but still content? What kind of logic is that?
    What kind of logic is yours where you believe pet battles or mounts is comparable to the paper of a gift? Pet Battles is content. Don't see how that is hard to understand. You are literally saying content isn't content just because it doesn't progress your character.

Are you kidding? That is the silliest comparison I have ever heard of. A mount being added is content being added to the game, Pet battles are content.
    How so? Paper inside of a gift bag is all cosmetic and filler, something to keep the present stable. It isn't intended to be considered part of the content.

It's exactly like cosmetic in the game, it's nice, frilly, and awesome to have, but it's not the intended purpose.

How so? Paper inside of a gift bag is all cosmetic and filler, something to keep the present stable. It isn't intended to be considered part of the content.

It's exactly like cosmetic in the game, it's nice, frilly, and awesome to have, but it's not the intended purpose.
    No it's not. A mount is a piece of content in a game. Again just stop. Not every piece of content has to be about advancement.

Are you kidding? That is the silliest comparison I have ever heard of. A mount being added is content being added to the game, Pet battles are content. Not every piece of game content has to be about advancement. Again if you think that you are playing the wrong genre of game. MMOs have had non advancement content since the early days of Everquest.
    I find it even more silly that you guys think putting 1 blade of grass on a unreachable mountain in Highmountain is considered content..

Quote Originally Posted by darklogrus View Post
    I find it even more silly that you guys think putting 1 blade of grass on a unreachable mountain in Highmountain is considered content..
    I don't think I ever said it was or that I agreed with the person who was saying it. 1 new mount being added to the game is content. It's not a lot of content but it still is. Pet Battles is content and is being expanded upon for 7.2 with the dungeon. I said not every piece of content has to be about story or character advancement.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not content. You're comparing gift-bag paper to interact-able mini-games and you don't see why no one understands that comparison?

What kind of logic is yours where you believe pet battles or mounts is comparable to the paper of a gift? Pet Battles is content. Don't see how that is hard to understand. You are literally saying content isn't content just because it doesn't progress your character.
    The story and/or your character, precisely.

It's comparable because it's not part of the intended focus of the game. It's cosmetic, like the paper.

The story and/or your character, precisely.

It's comparable because it's not part of the intended focus of the game. It's cosmetic, like the paper.
    For you maybe. Just because you don't want to focus on it doesn't mean it's not content. I hate Pet Battles doesn't stop it from being content.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozler View Post
    Everything you do in-game is content. It's really not subjective.

The trees that sit there in the background, the raid bosses, the dungeons, the quests, the mounts. It's all content.

But hooray for MMO-C theorycrafting on what "content" means.
    You're using a technical definition of content. That's not how the word is used to described the game. While you can say trees and rocks are content, no one would be talking about new rocks and trees in an upcoming 'content patch'.

You aren't wrong in explaining the technical definition of 'content', but it's out of context just like explaining the technical definition of a Tank and pointing out how it's used differently in WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    You're using a technical definition of content. That's not how the word is used to described the game. While you can say trees and rocks are content, no one would be talking about new rocks and trees in an upcoming 'content patch'.

You aren't wrong in explaining the technical definition of 'content', but it's out of context just like explaining the technical definition of a Tank and how everyone uses the word differently in WoW.
    Exactly. This is an example of something people would talk about for 7.2 in terms of content.

"Hey you gonna try out that new pet battle dungeon coming in 7.2?"
    "Hey you gonna go check out Broken Shore in 7.2?"

Not.

"OMG DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THAT NEW BLADE OF GRASS BEING ADDED TO SURAMAR"?
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-03-24 at 05:25 PM.

No it's not. A mount is a piece of content in a game. Again just stop. Not every piece of content has to be about advancement.
    I question you to actively talk out your logic.

Not every piece of cosmetic is content. Mount serve a function in the game, and I would be fine with my class mount or one of the race mounts, I don't need some fancy ass shit. Neither do you honestly, it's just frill and fancy. It's not content.