Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    In what shape or form is his own last name offensive and why should it even matter?
    What's next? Banning every last name with the word 'cum' or 'cock' in it?

(I shouldn't give people ideas...)

Innocent before proven guilty used to be a thing, but these days people jump to the simplest conclusion without knowing what the hell they are talking about. People are actually perfectly fine with accusing somebody without proof and that is completely baffling to me, you would think we would have actually progressed as a society in the damn 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    License plate rules can be funny. This car is in my neighborhood and I'm honestly surprised the vanity plate was allowed.

I like to imagine someone's spouse ordered the plates and put them on the car without saying a word about it. Lol.
    I do not see the issue with this plate, nor why spouses have anything to do with it. Cheightin is not a word I have ever heard before. What meaning does it have?
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Is that a city? Pronounced Chayntin?
    Cheating. Imagine pronouncing it with a Southern twang...ch-eight-in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    I do not see the issue with this plate, nor why spouses have anything to do with it. Cheightin is not a word I have ever heard before. What meaning does it have?
    See above...

Grabher Consulting... What industry do they consult in?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    What's next? Banning every last name with the word 'cum' or 'cock' in it?

(I shouldn't give people ideas...)
    Makes me thing about this gem of name and surname.

I, for one, find word "Tennisace" very offensive, it's sound similar to "PenisCase", which makes me think of all genitally mutilated humans, animals and extraterrestrials, unhumans and undecided ever existed or not in the past, present, future, imagination and multiverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...name-1.4037912

What an unreasonable position. It's an offensive license plate. End of story.
    Grabher is offensive? What the fuck? Grab her? The fuck? That's offensive? Somebody tell me why that's offensive.

I think this is a case of "pull the stick out of your ass" and just let him have his custom plate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    So if I was Vietnamese and my name was Phuk Yu I should totally be allowed to have PHUKYU as my licence plate?
    I'd allow it. There used to be a restaurant close to where I lived called "Pho King". It was pretty funny. They even sold shirts that said "Pho King Good". Of course that triggered too many people and they changed the name because people have no sense of humor.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess Stefan Kuntz will not be moving to Canada then.

I can see both sides. On the one hand you have a guy who wants to use his name. It is highly insulting to him that people are prejudiced at the very sight of his name. There are names out there that exist that are quite innocuous but people can't help but be offended by someone named Harry Cox. A person should be happy with who they are. On the other hand it is difficult for people to not jump to conclusions. This is clearly a limitation of the human race and not something that can simply overlooked.

The matriarchy strikes again.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    He should put an im with her bumper sticker next to plate that should fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle View Post
    Except it's not an offensive licence plate. It is the man's last name and he takes pride in his families name/history, people should learn context before they go around trying to claim something is racist/sexist or what ever -ist you want to throw around. Would you take offense to an auto dealership that was named "Dick's Chevrolet" or of the sort?
    Except there's literally no way to get context from a license plate.

No, "Dick's Chevrolet" would not be an issue.

"Dick" is a common shorthand name in English for Richard. That is fairly common knowledge.
    The addition of the `'s` makes "Dick" possessive and a dick doesn't usually own a dealership.

It's extremely unlikely for that to be misunderstood as a slur.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...name-1.4037912

What an unreasonable position. It's an offensive license plate. End of story.
    The plate isnt offensive, you're offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    I can see both sides. On the one hand you have a guy who wants to use his name. It is highly insulting to him that people are prejudiced at the very sight of his name. There are names out there that exist that are quite innocuous but people can't help but be offended by someone named Harry Cox. A person should be happy with who they are. On the other hand it is difficult for people to not jump to conclusions. This is clearly a limitation of the human race and not something that can simply overlooked.
    I can't see both side, because one side is wrong. He had it for years, there is no reason for snowflakes to ban this license plate. If I can see I1269U, then I think I can tolerate Grabher, especially since it's used because it's someones last name.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Stop being so easily offended. "Tennisace" is an anagram for "Nae, Incest!" but I'm not offended by that.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I can't see both side, because one side is wrong. He had it for years, there is no reason for snowflakes to ban this license plate. If I can see I1269U, then I think I can tolerate Grabher, especially since it's used because it's someones last name.
    You most likely wouldn't be able to have a license plate like that. 370H55V is a banned license plate in Texas. And that takes some creativity to be considered "offensive".

I'm pretty sure every governing body bans "offensive" license plates.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    The guy's solution to not having his name on his license plate, is to change his name... and you think "grabher" being offensive is the story?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    You most likely wouldn't be able to have a license plate like that. 370H55V is a banned license plate in Texas.

I'm pretty sure every governing body bans "offensive" license plates.
    You want everyone named 370H55V in Texas to change their name or what? Their mama named them that!
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Time to grow up and get over it.
    Yes the government DOES need to grow up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Yes the government DOES need to grow up.
    Yeah, I'm sure a child putting "grab her" on his toy car, would have the adult needing to grow up when saying to change it.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    Stop being so easily offended. "Tennisace" is an anagram for "Nae, Incest!" but I'm not offended by that.
    I find Tenisace's name to be highly offensive to cripples like myself. I have issues walking and he is an Ace at Tennis?

Check your fucking privilege, Tennisace.