Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisxor View Post
    I played Everquest from launch until WoW was in beta (Whole guild got beta access to wow). Everquest had no gating what so ever. When an expansion was released every piece of content from that expansion was live from day 1. The thing is it took a LONG time to do everything the expansion had to offer. If you wanted to grind stuff for 24 hours a day you could. If you needed factions or keys to enter certain areas you could grind until you had them. The thing was the content was challenging and no one could beat it without coordination and gear/AA abilities. This in it's own was a natural time gate without any restrictions other than your ability to actually complete content which became easier as you built your character up but had no HARD gate like Insurrection questline or the new TOS 11 week questline has.
    To be fair, you were gated by mob respawn times, i.e. the Veeshan's Peak key, and other players would be considered a bit of a gate, as the top guilds usually had important mobs locked down (Trakanon, PoP gods, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    To be fair, you were gated by mob respawn times, i.e. the Veeshan's Peak key, and other players would be considered a bit of a gate, as the top guilds usually had important mobs locked down (Trakanon, PoP gods, etc).
    That was the fun part haha. Spawn competitions were fun in some cases but not in others. Like sitting in Sol B for 9 days straight waiting for Ragefire to spawn i can agree was not the best experience.

Herald of the Titans Tech Priest Bojangles's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm kind of curious about what features of 7.2 are actually available come Tuesday.
    -Not the new raid
    -Not flying
    -Not class mounts
    Oh, just more fun and exciting world quests and a dungeon? Anything else?
    -=From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of steel. I aspired to the purity of the blessed machine. Your kind claimed your flesh as if it will not decay and fail you. One day the crude biomass that you call a temple will wither, and you will beg my kind to save you... But I am already saved..... For the machine is immortal=-

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Bojangles View Post
    I'm kind of curious about what features of 7.2 are actually available come Tuesday.
    -Not the new raid
    -Not flying
    -Not class mounts
    Oh, just more fun and exciting world quests and a dungeon? Anything else?
    In terms of what will actually be available? I think these:

Part 1 of 11 week TOS pre quest (prob take 30 mins)
    PVP season 3 starts
    New Dungeon (1 hour of content max)
    Pet Battle dungeon i think? (niche content)
    Invasions begin (these should actually be fun)
    Legendary changes go live i believe

That's all i can really think of.

15+ Year Old Account
    I played Everquest from launch until WoW was in beta (Whole guild got beta access to wow). Everquest had no gating what so ever. When an expansion was released every piece of content from that expansion was live from day 1. The thing is it took a LONG time to do everything the expansion had to offer. If you wanted to grind stuff for 24 hours a day you could. If you needed factions or keys to enter certain areas you could grind until you had them. The thing was the content was challenging and no one could beat it without coordination and gear/AA abilities. This in it's own was a natural time gate without any restrictions other than your ability to actually complete content which became easier as you built your character up but had no HARD gate like Insurrection questline or the new TOS 11 week questline has.
    So you don't remember nearly every raid having some sort of long ass attunement that required camping a NPC everyone else was camping. Or having to kill a extremely difficult boss in order to advanced to the next dungeon? That difficult boss who dropped 2 keys for your 40-60 man raid. You'd spend months getting people keyed before stepping foot into a new dungeon/raid. I loved EQ but it was the creator of gating.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of what will actually be available? I think these:

Part 1 of 11 week TOS pre quest (prob take 30 mins)
    PVP season 3 starts
    New Dungeon (1 hour of content max)
    Pet Battle dungeon i think? (niche content)
    Invasions begin (these should actually be fun)
    Legendary changes go live i believe

That's all i can really think of.
    And the whole Broken Shore Zone. Depending on what you count as content, you also get:

- 5 new Heroic dungeons
    - 3 new Mythic+ dungeons
    - Several new Mythic+ Affixes

What I can't understand, is what the HELL you people have been doing for the past 6 months since I unsubbed? Content was crap when I left and it seems nothing really has changed. I mean if Legion is your thing... great.. but OMG... 8 months of that... and yet more of the same coming next Tuesday?

No thank you.

If you play this kind of game and complain about grinding you are truly a dolt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    What I can't understand, is what the HELL you people have been doing for the past 6 months since I unsubbed? Content was crap when I left and it seems nothing really has changed. I mean if Legion is your thing... great.. but OMG... 8 months of that... and yet more of the same coming next Tuesday?

No thank you.
    You have terrible taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    So you don't remember nearly every raid having some sort of long ass attunement that required camping a NPC everyone else was camping. Or having to kill a extremely difficult boss in order to advanced to the next dungeon? That difficult boss who dropped 2 keys for your 40-60 man raid. You'd spend months getting people keyed before stepping foot into a new dungeon/raid. I loved EQ but it was the creator of gating.
    I honestly didn't mind it. I enjoyed it a lot more than wow's gating. Sure you had to kill trakanon 20x to get your raid keyed for VP.

Again, different game, different times. EQ of old doesn't work in modern day MMO's.

Quote Originally Posted by zykaz View Post
    have you done 10/10 mythic nighthold?

if yes you can complain
    This might be the most retarded argument that gets consistently posted

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    If it ended in 2-3 hours. He wouldn't have much to play now would he? Yeah...good job proving why gating needs to exist in some form.
    Yeah, good job proving why it needs to exist for Blizzard to receive a continual revenue stream.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunaveil View Post
    Yeah, good job proving why it needs to exist for all MMOs to receive a continual revenue stream.
    Think that makes more sense.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    Think that makes more sense.
    Nah, not all MMO's, subscription MMO's perhaps. Free MMO's needn't be so manipulative with their gameplay, they just sell vanity items or pay2win.

Quote Originally Posted by Camthur View Post
    It's almost like they don't want the most hardcore players to grind it all out in a few days and then start complaining about nothing to do. nah, that's just crazy talk
    Gating is fine, 11 weeks is just drawing out sub time for the sake of drawing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    HAHAHAHHA Failgion.

You are trying too hard.
    I never try too hard. That's the brilliance of my mystique.
    Really though, I have no one to impress therefore I don't have the requirement to try.

A bunch of twatbuckles on the internet and their opinion of what I say brings zero validation in the world of instant FB happiness coolfactor 75 people I know the names of liked a shit in a toilet photo world.

Really m8, not trying-- merely just existing.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, not all MMO's, subscription MMO's perhaps. Free MMO's needn't be so manipulative with their gameplay, they just sell vanity items or pay2win.
    Isn't that the MO of a F2P though? Reel you in then help you with QoL microtransactions?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    Isn't that the MO of a F2P though? Reel you in then help you with QoL microtransactions?
    Yeah, WoW takes the cake by doing both with pay to win and subscription. Those clever bastards.

Funny, 7.2 actually seems far less gated than equivalent patches in the past.

The order hall upgrades can be completed in 7 days, which is a nice surprise, and the "11 week story" leading up to Tomb's release can be done at a rate of one week's questline per day if you take a break, rather than being 11 weeks from when you start, like the Garrison campaign.

Plus it's just all around better getting the patch released without the raid having to be ready first - means getting flying faster - and there's more story leading into the raid than HFC had, which is always a bonus.

The only gating I can really think of is the Flying achievement requiring *gasp* Week 2 to be able to complete, assuming you're somehow able to get the reputation required within that time frame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, WoW takes the cake by doing both with pay to win and subscription. Those clever bastards.
    Not quite sure where you're seeing that in the context of time gating.
    If anything, not being subbed and waiting 11 weeks is like, don't pay to win?

It is probably the best its ever been, ironically. New patches usually couldn't come out like this. If they released this many raid bosses and dungeons AND 7.2 with a new raid 2 months later, it would be a BAD thing. Meanwhile, they are able to add a giant new patch and gate the end of it whenever they want.

Its actually quite brilliant.
    But frankly, if this sort of thing bothers you I would encourage you to quit the game. You are holding it back.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV