Page 1 of 2
LastLast

US: Sale of People's Browsing History Without Consent Imminent

link

US Senate votes to allow sale of people's browsing history without consent

'This resolution is a direct attack on consumer rights, on privacy'

The US Senate has voted to overturn internet privacy rules passed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) last October.

The rules were put in place to protect web users, banning internet service providers (ISPs) from sharing consumers’ web browsing data, including history and financial, health, communications and location information, without their prior approval.

ISPs have a lot to gain from the Senate’s decision, which will almost certainly lead to them getting the green light to sell people’s web data to advertising companies without permission.

The House needs to vote the same way before the FCC’s rules can be scrapped, though President Trump has the power to veto any decision and keep them in place.

If the Senate’s decision is approved, the FCC will be prevented from introducing similar rules in the future, and will have to create a new set of privacy requirements.

“This resolution is a direct attack on consumer rights, on privacy, on rules that afford basic protection against intrusive and illegal interference with consumers' use of social media sites and websites that often they talk for granted,” said Senator Richard Blumenthal ahead of the vote.

Following the vote, Senator Ed Markey said “ISP” should stand for “information sold for profit,” and “invading subscriber privacy,” according to Ars Technica.

The rules were approved by the FCC when it was under Democratic leadership and were set to come into effect earlier this month.

“President Trump may be outraged by fake violations of his own privacy, but every American should be alarmed by the very real violation of privacy that will result [from] the Republican roll-back of broadband privacy protections,” added Senator Markey.
    The right will sell everything if it will make them richer.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    This is like the third thread on this subject.
    that's because it's important!

lol, oké... missed that
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

seriously we could use 4 more threads on this.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

If you don't know Facebook and Google aren't already selling your information you are a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    If you don't know Facebook and Google aren't already selling your information you are a fool.
    Yes, but you agree to that.

This is completely different, and far more serious and wide-ranging.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yes, but you agree to that.

This is completely different, and far more serious and wide-ranging.
    I'd imagine that they cable companies will add it to their terms of use somewhere. That would make it "voluntary." It's a shitty situation and I don't know how this made it through the pipes.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I'd imagine that they cable companies will add it to their terms of use somewhere. That would make it "voluntary." It's a shitty situation and I don't know how this made it through the pipes.
    Cable companies sell your info too already as do banking institutions.

Cable companies sell your info too already.
    Yes everyone sells your information.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Cable companies sell your info too already.
    And this makes it okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Quote Originally Posted by Anevers View Post
    And this makes it okay.
    Never stated that.
    This is just not "new" news for many people. I suppose it could be for some though. Ignorance is bliss as they say.

- - - Updated - - -

Because the sole purpose of the Republican Party is to sell out the common person to the wealthy and large businesses.
    Some people actually believe that to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post

corporate GREED thats how, and remember only democrats voted against this remember that when you go and vote in 2018 remember who wanted to sell you out like this

Deleted
    This is like the third thread on this subject.

Edit: Also, here's the main thread
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...d-other-things
    I was first by 2 hours!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...nsumer-consent

Who cares? Your thread got fewer posts.
    Majority Rules hahaha
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

I mean, the statement is hyperbolic, but it seems to be their primary function if their primary function is gauged by what they actually accomplish. About the only other noteworthy thing they do is hinder abortions.
    Is that necessarily a bad thing?
    Not that I am trying to draw you into that debate at all. I will give you and everyone that reads this my stance on that particular matter right here and right now.
    While I personally don't believe in abortion, I certainly support the the woman's right to choose.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    corporate GREED thats how, and remember only democrats voted against this remember that when you go and vote in 2018 remember who wanted to sell you out like this
    More likely than not the only reason the (D)s voted against it was because it proposed by a (R). If a (D) would have proposed it the (R)s would have voted against it. It really is a shame how our government works that way. They do what is best for themselves, not for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    So there are four threads about this?

Man, people really want to discuss, but at the same time there is nothing much to add.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    So there are four threads about this?

Man, people really want to discuss, but at the same time there is nothing much to add.
    Probably not anti-American enough to keep self perpetuating like the other threads that are continuously on the front page.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    link

The right will sell everything if it will make them richer.
    Already a thread about this http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...d-other-things

10+ Year Old Account
    Somehow I see people more worried about this than Vault 7.

Go figure.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Let's put it this way: I find the Republicans essentially entirely unpalatable, despite rarely being all that thrilled with the Democrats.
    You and I both know that most upper tiered politicians are not in the government for the constituents. Naturally, there are a few exceptions.

lol I'm loving the Trumpette/Conservatives here trying to whataboutism everybody away from the topic.

Its almost like your representatives are an embarrassment actively hurting the internet. Best way to fight back against that is to ignore it, I suppose. We've gotta yell about maga more!