Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlust View Post
    After living for ten thousand years and being directly involved in the fate of entire universes, one would hope you're mature enough to get over petty revenge.
    To be fair, while Illidan did get over his difference against his brother, I'd say that wanting to get back at someone responsible for imprisoning you for 10,000 years in an isolation cell is very understandable and justifiable, mature or not. That's around ten thousands years of hatred to vent.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Malfurion isn't evil. Spiteful toward his brother? Yes. Illidan did a lot of objectively terrible things and morally questionable choices. Even with the white washing blizzard has done, his actions are still highly questionable. Why should Malfurion be punished even though his choices were correct for their time, and only wrong in hindsight (which is still arguable)?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Malfurion went to visit Illidan many times to talk to him. Do you really think he would let Illidan just rot in there literally forever? Malfurion would likely speak up to his people about giving Illidan a second chance had the talkings he did with Illidan in the prison went well. As you expected, the talkings went badly. Malfurion tried to change Illidan into someone he was not and Illidan being Illidan was even more bitter that he had to be at the mercy of ,in his mind, his arch rival.
    last time i checked w3 lore was the right lore and in w3 Illidan clearly says "it has be 10000 years brother 10000 years spent in darkness"

Malfurion never went to see Illidan, not even once, check your lore knowledge smart-ass, stop reading those stupid book written by the Illidan hater Knaak and stop trying to shove the idea that Malfurion is better than Illidan down out throats

10+ Year Old Account
    Illidan's not an idiot. And he loves his brother about as much as he loves Tyrande.

It's probably his sole Achilles' talon. But considering his role in the coming war, and how he is venerated by the Naarus, Malfurion would be an idiot doubled by a vegetable-like brain to hit back against him.

Hell, even Maiev seems to accept reality for once. Maybe we won't have to kill her, after all.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    If you read the post you quoted you will see that the very first two words counter your reply.
    i am reading the post and i can see very clearly that you did not read that novel.... ever

Quote Originally Posted by Diannak View Post
    last time i checked w3 lore was the right lore and in w3 Illidan clearly says "it has be 10000 years brother 10000 years spent in darkness"

Malfurion never went to see Illidan, not even once, check your lore knowledge smart-ass, stop reading those stupid book written by the Illidan hater Knaak and stop trying to shove the idea that Malfurion is better than Illidan down out throats
    what the hell?... I mean canon lore is canon. Your degree of fanboyism is not gonna change it...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    To be fair, while Illidan did get over his difference against his brother, I'd say that wanting to get back at someone responsible for imprisoning you for 10,000 years in an isolation cell is very understandable and justifiable, mature or not. That's around ten thousands years of hatred to vent.
    The assumption that his brother is responsible for his imprisonment is kinda stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    Was there any indication that he would have, much less did, figured the spell out on his own if Illidan didn't do anything? Malfurion was only trying to take the Dragon Soul from Deathwing so that the dragons would come back to help them again ("And they don’t dare do anything, not so long as Deathwing has the Demon Soul. (Rhonin) <...> "Then, we’ve got to take it from the black" <Malfurion>"). He didn't try to take it back for an awesome magic to revert the summoning magic and banish the demons back to the Nether. Later on, when they first met at the Well of Eternity, Illidan already started his magic towards the portal while Malfurion was still clueless, just trying to take the DS away from the portal's matrix. The idea didn't even cross Rhonin / Krasus' mind (at least, it hasn't been described so yet) and they both were a lot more knowledgeable in magic than Malfurion. It was only after he found Illidan that he started working against the portal, but everything they tried to do that didn't work out well. Malfurion figured out how to use the disc for their magic ("The Demon Soul is still part of the spellwork! Instead of drawing from disk, we should be giving to it" and it worked.

So, without Illidan's idea, was there any indication that Malfurion would have been able to suddenly figure that idea (using the DS to turn the Well into a portal that would suck the demons back to the Nether) out? Sargeras taking over the DS was unexpected, but it wasn't like Illidan couldn't use his spells away from the DS and the portal - he succeeded in casting spell into it before Malfurion retrieved the disc, after all.
    He wouldn't just hold onto the disc without doing anything. That's just unrealistic. Malfurion started using the disc before he even met Illidan. In fact he met Illidan because he used the disc to allow himself to be in two places at the same time. Both of them used the disc wrong in the first place by using it to fuel their spells. There was no any indication in the book that he got the idea of using the disc to close the portal from Illidan. The idea was to attack Zin'Azshari to take down the portal in the first place. With a very powerful artifact in his hands anyone would be able to figure it out that it could be used to help with the task of closing the portal.

- - - Updated - - -

because Archimonde would not have been defeated in the second invasion, by a well suffused super tree brimming with magical arcane energies and power for Malfurion and the wisps to draw on and DETONATE.

= dead world , legion win.
    That's too simplistic way of thinking about things. Without the well or even the sunwell the course of events would not have been the same in its entirety. You could not come to the conclusion that simple.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2017-03-25 at 06:34 AM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    He has Khadgar now though.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diannak View Post
    i am reading the post and i can see very clearly that you did not read that novel.... ever
    1: It wasn't my post.
    2: If you had read it you would have seen he was talking about event in Warcraft 3 which came out in 2002, 14 years before the revisionist novel you're talking about.
    3: The main point of this thread is that Illidan's motivations, history and future intentions have all been changed due to the rewriting of his character.

Well, not Malfurion's fault he didnt know some Sc-fi cosmic energies and 'the fate' had so grand plans for illidan. For what we knew about him, he deserved that. Didnt we learn anything after xera questline?

lol they still haven't met Illidan(Tyrande and Malfurion).

bad writing is bad writing.

illidan will kill malfurion , game of throne style, it could be great... ;p

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THCRaven View Post
    Yes, he is tragic hero and that is CANON, as a hero he would't get back at his brother.
    You're really failing to see the point aren't you lol (as you are now arguing the same point as the people you're arguing with). The fact he has been re-written into a hero IS the reason that he no longer wants revenge on Malf, if he hadn't been retconned he still would. That is the answer to the question the OP asked.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    You're really failing to see the point aren't you lol (as you are now arguing the same point as the people you're arguing with). The fact he has been re-written into a hero IS the reason that he no longer wants revenge on Malf, if he hadn't been retconned he still would. That is the answer to the question the OP asked.
    I would argue that Illidan, post novel / Legion, is more of an anti-hero rather than a tragic hero. While the two types could be muddled at times, tragic hero is still a hero possessing heroic qualities, just having tragic circumstances (i.e: failing stuffs). Illidan was failing quite a few of things but he lack heroic qualities to be categorized as a hero, more like an anti-hero that fails here and there.

Anyway, even during WC3 with Illidan being introduced as he was originally, he already put their (he and Malfurion) past conflicts behind (in fact, in RoC he was the more reasonable one of the twins). I don't think he'd want revenge even without taking events in Legion and "Illidan" into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    The assumption that his brother is responsible for his imprisonment is kinda stupid.
    Well, his brother was the one that caught him and sentenced him. Why would it be wrong to consider Malfurion the one responsible for his imprisonment? Illidan clearly see it that way and hated Malfurion & Tyrande for that.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Well, his brother was the one that caught him and sentenced him. Why would it be wrong to consider Malfurion the one responsible for his imprisonment? Illidan clearly see it that way and hated Malfurion & Tyrande for that.
    And that was stupid. It's like holding the judge responsible for your imprisonment. Illidan clearly see a lot of thing stupidly his own ways. He thought he defeated Arthas. He thought people should be all over him.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2017-03-27 at 05:36 PM.