Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    There is no such thing as 'incompatible cultures'. Believing as such assumes (wrongly) that cultures are static and monolithic entities.
    I would like Western culture to remain incompatible with conservative Islam. While I suppose it's conceivable that we could become rather more enthusiastic about concealing woman in beekeeper's outfits, I would not be particularly enthusiastic about it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    All of which boil down to "I don't like immigrants" or "I'm scared because cable news told me to be so". Both of which can be dismissed as fluff.
    Hahahaha.

As I said, totally hollow. Come back when you actually have something to say.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Heh. I already took everything you said with a grain of salt, Now I can see I just need to disregard everything you say like I do Wells and the rest of the Virtue Gang.
    Who said anything about virtue?

It is not a serious issue. 9/11 was tragic, yes, but it was not an existential threat to the health of the US. There are far bigger fish to fry on the international stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    And? This is about fear.
    I don't think there are many people that are shaking in their boots. You may reasonably calculate that people are wrong, but you should probably also acknowledge that people are basically just doing the mental arithmetic on seeing some downsides to travel to some countries and not very much upside.

As mentioned upthread, I think this particular ban is stupid, arbitrary, and capricious. I'm not at all on board with this hamfisted way of dealing with whatever problem may or may not exist, but it's hardly unreasonable for someone to just not really think it's important for people to be able to travel to certain countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I would like Western culture to remain incompatible with conservative Islam. While I suppose it's conceivable that we could become rather more enthusiastic about concealing woman in beekeeper's outfits, I would not be particularly enthusiastic about it happening.
    Assuming that there aren't aspects of western culture that shame women for not covering up, for starters.

And no, what I mean is that whenever two cultures meet there is always a level of syncretism that goes on - more than likely what we will see as Islam becomes more prominent in the West is the emergence of liberal Islam that reconciles its core principles while shucking a lot of the primitive crap.

You know, exactly what happened with Christianity and Judaism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Yeah, the argument is moronic because it shines a light on your fears.

Yes I lock my door. Get this shit, I also allow people to come through it. You understabd a ban is different than a locked door? Probably not, you're a Trump supporter.
    No I'm not a Trump supporter but thanks for jumping to conclusions there.

Fear isn't the motivator, and the fact that people that think like you do automatically equate it to that shows the problem and fault in your own minds.

I also allow people to come through my door as well, people that I approve of. Basic nature of doors, locks, and bans.

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't think there are many people that are shaking in their boots. You may reasonably calculate that people are wrong, but you should probably also acknowledge that people are basically just doing the mental arithmetic on seeing some downsides to travel to some countries and not very much upside.

As mentioned upthread, I think this particular ban is stupid, arbitrary, and capricious. I'm not at all on board with this hamfisted way of dealing with whatever problem may or may not exist, but it's hardly unreasonable for someone to just not really think it's important for people to be able to travel to certain countries.
    This ban isn't about traveling to other countries, it's about people from other countries coming here.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote for me right now where I called for a ban of them. Do it now! Come on, back your bullshit or admit you were wrong.
    Oh please mr holier than thou, all you did in that thread was shit on anyone not vegan. You don't have to use the B word for you to call for it. It's also not the first thread where you went all Vegangains on people so don't give me that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    If it was a muslim ban then why arent all muslims banned? Do you even read what you write? Its not a muslim ban period. Plenty of other religious groups in those countries would be banned as well. Its a country block. Not a muslim ban. A muslim ban would ban all muslim immigration, which is totally not the case. So stop buying what the media is selling and calling it a muslim ban. Because not only is it factually incorrect, its morally incorrect.
    As technically correct as you are, it's not what the media is selling but instead Trump's own words that screwed him in his attempted bans. If the court sees reason that his intention is to ban a targeted religion, it will get blocked. This is where it comes down to proving intent, which is more difficult than it seems.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    No I'm not a Trump supporter but thanks for jumping to conclusions there.

Fear isn't the motivator, and the fact that people that think like you do automatically equate it to that shows the problem and fault in your own minds.

I also allow people to come through my door as well, people that I approve of. Basic nature of doors, locks, and bans.
    Of course, you're not a Trump supporter. No one ever is....

Fear is absolutely the fucking motivator, it is literally stupid to say otherwise. What the fuck is the point of the ban if these people aren't AFRAID that terrorists are coming here?

I'm so fucking tired of you Trump supporters vomiting the ridiculous BS all the time.

If it's not fear than what precisely the fuck is it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    Oh please mr holier than thou, all you did in that thread was shit on anyone not vegan. You don't have to use the B word for you to call for it. It's also not the first thread where you went all Vegangains on people so don't give me that shit.
    The fuck i did. You're just a liar now.

I never once called for a ban or attacked anyone that didn't attack me first.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

This ban isn't about traveling to other countries, it's about people from other countries coming here.
    I don't really see how this changes the point at all. You wouldn't be deflecting by nitpicking, would you?

Am i calling for a ban of foods or products that are linked to those things?

Obviously that poster and yourself and all Trump supporters are scared of Muslims. You're scared they're going to commit terrorists acts. Just because your position when said in an obvious and matter of fact manner shows how ridiculous your stance is doesn't mean your not scared.
    Still failed to answer the basic of my questions. I will answer your though simply because that is the way I am.

No, you are not calling for a ban for of foods and products linked to those things.

I will ask you once again. Why do you think I am "scared of Muslims". I could be a Muslim. Cassius Clay was a Muslim. Do you think people feared him because of his religion? Do you think many people fear Dave Chappell? Hakeem Olajuwon? Shaquille O'Neal? Mike Tyson?

Don't worry, I don't expect you to directly answer my questions.
    Have a wonderful day.

Fear is absolutely the fucking motivator, it is literally stupid to say otherwise. What the fuck is the point of the ban if these people aren't AFRAID that terrorists are coming here?

I'm so fucking tired of you Trump supporters vomiting the ridiculous BS all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

lol look at all that vulgarity...
    Nah, they are just Trump attackers since that is the popular thing to do at the moment. Certain people are like sheep. They just follow the herd.
    There are very few that will step outside of their comfort zone.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure. That rose tinted perspective of ones' own self providing ample distance for you right now. Enjoy.

Also how could I be a Trump supporter when I didn't vote for him or vote at all? Keep in mind that just because I agree with the travel ban and was a proponent of it long before he was ever running(incidentally Obama banned the shit out of people and none of your sandy vags ever blinked)doesn't mean I support the guy. In essence he's ripping off MY policies to buffer his base of support while he does what I said he was going to do: Goldman Sachs the fuck out of the WH, no different than Hillary would have.

The point of the ban is to keep people from problematic and incompatible parts of the world out of our society. We don't owe them anything as far as welcoming or appeasing their desires to live here, especially as their family and countrymen continue to espouse ideas and practices that are contrary to EVERYTHING we've built.

Before you take the 'moderate Muslim' route let me just dash cold water on that joke of a notion, because the only 'moderates' that exist are the non practicing ones. The ones who were born Muslim but don't follow it at all, the same way I was born into a Catholic family and yet couldn't give a fuck about that. When 70% of your entire population doesn't belong in ANY Western country that's all we need to be told to just outright lock them out, and the ban should be extended further to places like Saudi Arabia and the rest of the recognized state sponsors yet cozy with Washington crowd.

But hey, you're the one who is so dumb you automatically assume every travel ban supporter is a Trump supporter so I expect you to fuck up more of this stuff.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-03-25 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    As technically correct as you are, it's not what the media is selling but instead Trump's own words that screwed him in his attempted bans. If the court sees reason that his intention is to ban a targeted religion, it will get blocked. This is where it comes down to proving intent, which is more difficult than it seems.
    People really should not believe the MSM media 100%. Unfortunately, most ill informed people do.
    The MSM has it's own agenda. That is to make as much money in as little time as possible. They will spin the news to fit that agenda.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-03-25 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    How does keeping non citizens from entering our country prohibit their practice of their preferred religion? It doesn't. Maybe, you can argue the 14th amendment, but certainly not the first. That's what's wrong with our society. No interest in legal doctrine, just finding the outcome you politically want. That's why it's so refreshing to watch Gorsuch beat up the idiots like Franken who were repeatedly embarrassed with their lack of legal knowledge.
    Also worth a mention is the idea of extending the 14th Amendment to resident of foreign countries is self-evidently absurd.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    The Gunsgans were peaceful under Boss Nass weren't they? They practiced isolationism.

Actually Boss Nass was the first leader to bring them back into war.

They were isolationist long before Boss Nass.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Gunsgans were peaceful under Boss Nass weren't they? They practiced isolationism.
    Maybe, but they also gave us Jar Jar Binks... How did that Isolationism work out for them

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Actually Boss Nass was the first leader to bring them back into war.

They were isolationist long before Boss Nass.
    Is there some sort of fake "history" on the Gungans to compare to reality?
    Like a Wikipedia?
    Oh, I know what it is called. Wookiepedia.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is there some sort of fake "history" on the Gungans to compare to reality?
    Like a Wikipedia?
    Oh, I know what it is called. Wookiepedia.

? Not sure what you are trying to say here, but yes you can go there. Gungan history isn't much though. After Jar Jar no one really wanted to use them in stories.