View Poll Results: Would you bring pre-cataclysm Azeroth back?

Voters
191. This poll is closed
  • Yes, I would bring back pre-cataclysm Azeroth

97 50.79%
  • No, I would keep it the way it is now.

94 49.21%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Oh, GOD yes. As many know I've been here since the beginning like many of you fine folks. I've played WoW since 2005. Sadly, I'm not subbed anymore. Haven't been for a while.

The thing that seriously killed it for me was the fact that they 100% destroyed the game world I grew up in and loved so much. That was the single most detrimental thing they could have done that just annihilated any nostalgia I had, because well, it's just gone. It's literally all changed.

Biggest mistake IMO, in their development cycle in the last 11 years.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Deleted
    I would like another change, I thought it was cool as all hell they changed the world in Cataclysm would like it again but this time actually make those zones valuable for all players.

Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    The only zone I miss is old Azshara. I loved when it was just an epic wilderness filled with high level mobs on the edge of the ocean.
    But what would you do in such a zone? A zone that was mundane and served no actual purpose other than being an empty zone (albeit pretty) with said mobs.

Are you all wearing rose-tinted goggles?

Sure, I have amazing memories too. However the old world is severely outdated, mundane, and dull in terms of zone aesthetics and questing. That said, they should offer a Caverns of Time version so players may revisit it if they wish to do so for nostalgias sake.

Look at all the illegal private server realms that everyone hyped about so much... Most of them are rather barren now that people realised that Vanilla was badly tuned, time-consuming and dull, and that they've been wearing rose-tinted goggles for the past X years. Honestly, it's: you think you do but you don't.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Quote Originally Posted by Bodraw View Post
    But what would you do in such a zone? A zone that was mundane and served no actual purpose other than being an empty zone (albeit pretty) with said mobs.

Are you all wearing rose-tinted goggles?

Sure, I have amazing memories too. However the old world is severely outdated, mundane, and dull in terms of zone aesthetics and questing. That said, they should offer a Caverns of Time version so players may revisit it if they wish to do so for nostalgias sake.

Look at all the illegal private server realms that everyone hyped about so much... Most of them are rather barren now that people realised that Vanilla was badly tuned, time-consuming and dull, and that they've been wearing rose-tinted goggles for the past X years. Honestly, it's: you think you do but you don't.
    Azshara's uselessness was part of its charm. Because there were very few quests there, it wasn't filled with idiots. Of course, I came to WoW from Everquest, where most of the zones were giant and useless lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Oh, GOD yes. As many know I've been here since the beginning like many of you fine folks. I've played WoW since 2005. Sadly, I'm not subbed anymore. Haven't been for a while.

The thing that seriously killed it for me was the fact that they 100% destroyed the game world I grew up in and loved so much. That was the single most detrimental thing they could have done that just annihilated any nostalgia I had, because well, it's just gone. It's literally all changed.

Biggest mistake IMO, in their development cycle in the last 11 years.
    I really always loved the fact that Orcs were redeemed in WC3 and that they originally had a peaceful, shamanistic culture, and that the Forsaken had some moral greyness to them, I really enjoyed playing a "good" undead. When those things went away (Undead largely in Cataclysm with the Worgen, which painted them as absolute evil) and WoD with the revisionist history, the game lost a massive element of it's charm for me, maybe I'll start back up as a Tauren.
    Yea yea....

I would definitely undo the massive destruction that happened with the Cataclysm. However, certain areas that opened up with the Cataclysm (i.e. the woods in western Dun Morogh, the big lake above Tirisfal, etc.) are very nice, and I would be disappointed if they went away with the destruction. I would like to see the destruction repaired, but maybe not if it meant the world would be reverted to its exact pre-cata version.

Quote Originally Posted by rybat117 View Post
    I would definitely undo the massive destruction that happened with the Cataclysm. However, certain areas that opened up with the Cataclysm (i.e. the woods in western Dun Morogh, the big lake above Tirisfal, etc.) are very nice, and I would be disappointed if they went away with the destruction. I would like to see the destruction repaired, but maybe not if it meant the world would be reverted to its exact pre-cata version.
    I really enjoyed the Twilight Highlands myself, and if it were up to me I'd definitely keep areas like that open. The question is more posed at whether or not you think it's better to have the old world version of Azeroth vs the New world.
    Yea yea....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Undeadprotoss View Post
    The old world's zones were largely based on ten years of engrossing warcraft lore, of excellent world-building.
    keyword here is WERE (past tense). You dont go around crying that you want the 70ies back......

Quote Originally Posted by Undeadprotoss View Post
    They helped cement the identities of each of the playable races, especially those of the Horde. It's where people have stored memorable experiences like Barrens chat, the huge battles between Southshore and Tarren Mill, and of course, individualized experiences as noobs.
    Oh look PINK GLASSES for 100 AGAIN....
    Last edited by mmoc25fb373f9a; 2017-03-25 at 12:24 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Like I stated in another forum post. I think it would be really cool if we were to go back to the Pre-sundered azeroth(Kalimdor supercontinent). A new expansion that would take place after Legion where we the heroes slip through a crack in time and end up to a point before the legion ever invaded Azeroth and they must prevent it from ever happening which would trigger the Void.

If I had my way, the pre-cata azeroth map and quests would be brought back. Accessible via Keepers of Time npcs in much the same way the Blasted Lands and Dustwallow are. But the maps would be "finished", as in the gaps between zones would be completed and the zones made fly-worthy. For example... pre-cata the area between Feralas and Silithus is just a big gaping hole with unfinished textures. I'd fill it in with what was added in Cata--the hot springs in the mountains-- but without the goblin resort. Just a natural hot spring as eye-candy to view from above whether on a taxi or a flying mount. Stuff like that. It would preserve the maps of old but actually finish all the parts we were never able to (or at least meant to for us persistent wall jumpers) see. Original Naxx would be accessible again and all its quests too. Atiesh would be acquirable again.

If I could turn back time
    If I could find a way......

Cataclysm was a world destroyer, and it lived to those expectations. If ruined guilds, the community - by furthering auto-LFD.

Cataclysm changed the landscape, and also the game people used to know. It was the beginning of terrible drops in both activity and subscribers. People say Drops always happen a month after an expansion release. Bullshit. They only started happening after Cataclysm.

Piece of Shit expansion.

I personally like the map the way it used to be.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, because I really see no good reason to go back to the past when I want to focus on the game at the moment. I'd like to see more content added to these old zones like storylines that further or conclude what was previously established in cataclysm (or before), or just add quests relevant to the expansion but not the main theme (E.g. add some Genn and Sylvanas stuff, like what are their kingdoms doing while they're fighting the Legion).
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but:

I'd either include it as an option (talk to Zidormi in any capital city and get teleported to the old Azeroth) or just bite the bullet and make legacy servers a thing. There's a lot of cool questlines and lots of nostalgia that was lost with the 1-60 revamp, but there's also plenty of fun storylines in the revamped zones.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Deleted
    The cataclysm revamp is probably the worst thing that's happened to the game. There's nothing to go back to from vanilla when you're feeling nostalgic, it's all gone.
    Last edited by mmocf11091e3a8; 2017-03-25 at 03:05 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, the Old zones were a mess when it came to questing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripley6174 View Post
    The cataclysm revamp is probably the worst thing that's happened to the game. There's nothing to go back to from vanilla when you're feeling nostalgic, it's all gone.
    That's the thing though. It was outdated, dull, and had to be changed.

They had to remove/revamp old things in order for nostalgia to arise in the first place. It's how nostalgia was created i.e. when the Old World was no longer there, people started to miss it. If it had stayed, people would complain that they're tired of the same dull zones, quests etc. and that an overhaul is due. It simply needed to be done.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    Azshara's uselessness was part of its charm. Because there were very few quests there.
    This is 100% true. I loved the old Azshara, and sometimes went over there solely for herb runs and to enjoy the scenery and ambiance. It was probably my favorite zone in Vanilla.

Now it's a polluted and strip-mined trainwreck, and that ambience is gone. If we could reset just one zone to pre-Cata, I'd choose that one in a heartbeat.

No. "Fly-from-Gadgetzan-to-Winterspring-and-then-to-Blasted-Lands" is not content. The old questing was an abomination, saying that as a 2-times-pre-cata-loremaster.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The thing is once you see it you can't unsee it, and since we have seen these changes we saw in Cata and to change it all back to how it was is silly.. You can't expect things to stay the same forever.. Things have to change for if they don't then they grow stale and boring..

Or the TLR version all I see this thread as is a want vanilla/legacy servers in disguise..