Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Things to do in game. As other posts have indicated, you can take content and filter it down in to various subgroups, filler content, fluff, etc., and with those there's variance from person to person on what qualifies as those.

Even if it something is content that someone doesn't want to do, it can't be dismissed as not being content. It's simply "I don't wanna do that, for reasons".

Content is all the things you can do in the game that somebody considers worthwhile, challenging or fun. For instance, pet battling is content to some, but not to others. The fact that it's there to do means it IS content though, even if you don't want to do it. (this is also true for raiding, farming mounts and transmog, pvp or roleplaying)

Things to do in-game. You need 'fresh' content once in a while, but you also need replayability for some content (Mythic+ is amazing in that regard)

Anything that provides new story or provides a new challenge every time you do it a second+ time.

So, nothing except playing through each expansion once then PVP. Everything else is grinding bullshit. Has been since pre-BC.

"Do these dungeons and raids on a 5th difficulty!"
    Why? The fights are the same, they just hit harder.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Things to do in-game. You need 'fresh' content once in a while, but you also need replayability for some content (Mythic+ is amazing in that regard)
    Mythic + is brilliant. Tbh WoW always has a plethora of content to do both main content and side content.

Content, in this context, is stuff you can do. Lots of people are using stupid arguments saying things like: adding trees is content because they're new to the game and it's what the game contains - that is not what content really means (for this game at least). Mounts, toys, pets and loot cannot be 'done', they are collected from content. Adding new items may give you incentive to do the content or repeat old content, but the items themselves are the not the content (in this sense of the word). Pet battles, though, are undoubtedly content, whether you enjoy them or not. It doesn't have to improve your character to be called content - that is also a ridiculous argument. Even the mini world events are content, pointless perhaps, but they provide things to do.

People also seem to be arguing over new content and old content. Whether you're repeating it or not; it's content if it's able to be done. This thread isn't about whether something is new or even good content; it's asking what content is and that's, clearly, activities that can be done / attempted at least.

Things to do even if it is something one does not want to do. Unlike some others I would not call rewards content.

The shades come in "major content" and "minor content".

Quests, in and of themselves, are generally "minor content" in that the art/music/systems are generally pre-existing, with only the 'words' being changed.

"New" Timewalker dungeons, I'd consider "minor content" as well, since there's little new assets involved, the system is pre-existing (barring timewalking raids or somesuch), so its simply a matter of "oh cool, now i can do this dungeon too"

Mini-Holidays are minor content (as intended), but also probably some of the grander minor content.

MAJOR Content is content that introduces new assets.... Art, Music, Game Systems, etc... and has a greater longevity.

Sadly there's rarely "major" content thats not raids. The Pet dungeon definitely counts as major content, but thats one of the few non-raids I can think of in patches I'd count recently.

Obviously quest "hubs" like timeless isle, tanaan jungle, etc... count as major content, because there's a lot more going on there then just 5-10 mins of quests.

10+ Year Old Account
    I lean toward the idea of just about anything to do in the game is content. It doesn't need to have a reward or anything. That might make it content that I wouldn't bother with (maybe) but that's a different question. I also consider raid fights as content as they often require different strategies, etc. Stacking up raid mechanics to make fights more difficult isn't my favorite thing but to the extent that a fight changes from Heroic to Mythic, that's content by my definition.

People have their own ideas about what may or may not be content and to that extent it's a question for which there is no really wrong answer. It's stuff to do in the game by my lights. Either you do it or you don't. And that's more important than trying to put something into some box with a label on the side reading "Content".
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Content is anything in the game

"Content" (aka MMO-Champion terms) to me is activities in the game which offer a new experience to what we've had in the patches before. Easy to make examples

e.g
    - Having a quest to go back to Halls of Valor and place a feast is not content because we had already been doing HoV for several months
    - Having to go to a completely new dungeon to do a quest is content

- Having a new world quest added to kill 13 slightly different named harpies is not content
    - Having a new quest/campaign added to the game with unique lore is content

- Adding a new affix to a dungeon is not content because I've still done that dungeon 40-70 times and the new mechanic just makes it a more frustrating experience, not a fresh one
    - Adding an extra difficulty to a raid is not content (LFR-Normal-Heroic might as well be all the same difficulty by now) because only mythic really offers a significantly different experience (aka some fights can be completely different on mythic. Not this expansion, but previously)

Aka, the new content for 7.2 is Legionfall, Legionfall campaign, scenarios, invasions, class mount quests (just having the mount isn't "content" but if there is a quest involved it's content) and other like things. Bursting/Grievous are not content, neither are upper/lower Karazhan, Karazhan M+, CoS/Arc HC.
    RIP Breath of Sindragosa - 23/06/2015 - The day fun died.

Quality > Quantity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Here's what I consider content...

Giving me shit to do...

Yeah...

Content - some activity, that makes me log in regularly and, therefore, makes me want to pay sub fee.

Currently things, that are content for me:
    1) Collecting full 695 Baleful set in Tanaan Jungle with flying
    2) Leveling Garrison to full set of 675 followers + Level 3 shipyard
    3) Leveling new characters, when no #1 or #2 content available

Dungeons and raids had been content for me in the past, but Blizzard devalued this content so much, that I no longer want to do it. I do them from time to time, but I wouldn't pay sub fee to be able to play them.

Any PVP has never been content for me.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Deleted
    Most of the stuff in the game. However adding excessive RNG layers to everything (legendaries, TF, etc) is not content for me. It is a manipulative attempt to make me do more of it. I have learned to see past their schemes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Content comes in three flavors:

Fun and rewarding (Single-player) - This is subjective based on the type of player you are, but it includes stuff like level-cap quest chains, world quests, and matchmaking dungeons/LFR/BGs.
    Fun and rewarding (Multiplayer) - These are things like Mythic dungeons, organized raids/BGs, and elite world quests. They're fun to do with others and the rewards are enticing.
    Just For Fun - This category is stuff like the micro-holidays, farming old raids, transmog/pet/mount/toy-hunting, roleplaying, and other activities that are largely player-driven. Things that are fun enough on their own that Blizz doesn't necessarily need to tie a power gain to them to keep players doing it.

Then there's "Content" like what was so rife in WoD:

Unfun and Unrewarding - This is stuff like the Apexis Dailies, WoD rep grinds, WoD crafting, Heroics in MoP and WoD, and WoD LFR. These activities don't offer rewards and players aren't driven to do them of their own accord. Things got so bad that Blizzard patched in flight by requiring players to do these, as before they did completion rates across level 100 characters hovered around ~15-20%.
    Unfun but Rewarding - This is subjective like the fun/rewarding single-player entry. Dailies in MoP/WQs in Legion, LFR, matchmade dungeons and BGs, and the Garrison table have had more than their share of players decrying them for sucking and not being fun, but required due to the power gains behind them.

Keep in mind that the "unfun/unrewarding" category is what led to cries of no content in WoD. Defenders often responded with "there's XYZ to do," but missed that, because the activity didn't encourage players to do it on its own like the "Just For Fun" category and because the rewards weren't there to push players into it (at first) like the "Unfun but Rewarding" category, it was written off as non-content the way people write off existing but unappealing options as non-options when making decisions every day.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    How does pet battles affect your character or the story?

- - - Updated - - -

Is the paper that comes inside a gift bag content?
    Well, you can actually level your characters via pet battles -- so, IMO, that does in fact impact your toon.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, anything added to the game that isn't a little hotfix. And yes, that means features, yes, even the selfie cam.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Something that keeps you playing, something that (usually) has a piece UI attached to it, something with rewards that feel like it's worth it. World Quests is a good way to do content and I was really hoping they'd add something like that (although a bit too much travelling between them when they don't take that long to complete). I still think Guild Wars 2 does World Content the best though.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    I have been enjoying Legion thanks to mythic+ returning dungeons to a viable endgame again. It is lacking that freshness though with only one new dungeon coming out after nearly four years since the previous lead dev admitted not making post launch dungeons was a mistake.

I did not checked every reply here, so maybie someone nailed it already, but content to me in the regard of WoW, is anything you can do that is either original/new, or not excessively repetitive. ie Artifact/World quests farming all days of the month, is not content, I find it quite obvious.