Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do greens and blues still have a purpose in this game?

A green lasts you a day in a new expansion before you inevitably get a blue, and blues are just known to be immediately replaced by epics first 2-3 weeks you hit max level, so what's the point of these anymore? Moral masturbation as you get that small mental high of seeing an upgrade in color of your gear?

I don't know, this whole system is behind the times. It made more sense in pre-BC and BC because the gear was a lot more gated since there were a lot less options to get upgrades, but nowadays what's the point really, aside from epic -> legendary.

They have been outdated ever since the 'welfare epics' of PvP season 2 in TBC.

They really only exist for transmog...

They exists so if you see someone you're supposed to party with wearing one, you know to bail.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    They are really only relevant in new expansions nowadays. Everything is purple or better now. Purple is the new Blue pretty much.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's funny; people will happily admit that greens and blues are now essentially pointless, but if anyone suggests making epics rare again everyone loses their shit.

The only purpose they serve is being disenchanted into different materials. The irony is that the enchanting materials you get from green and blue items are super rare these days since everythi g is purple. They should just make everything one color and then make disenchanting an item percentage based so you could get any type of dust/essence/shard/crystal from it.

Of course Blues and Greens still have a purpose... where else will you get your enchanting mats from?

Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    It's funny; people will happily admit that greens and blues are now essentially pointless, but if anyone suggests making epics rare again everyone loses their shit.
    I won't. Make it like BC again. Where epics were rare and ledgendaries were a handful per server.

Really you could argue it's the color system which is outdated. The only thing of value is the item level which these days gets raised with every single patch so you may as well ask why both throwing out 835 gear on WQ's when they be replaced in under a day with almost no effort.

transmog and enchanting mats. /thread

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    I won't. Make it like BC again. Where epics were rare and ledgendaries were a handful per server.
    As rare as going to an NPC with enough badges to buy them?

Nope, core RPG elements like Green -> Blue -> Epic gear progression have been lost.

As a level 20 now your base spells cause so much damage, and you take so little damage, that gear upgrades are meaningless.

What's the point of striving for a blue amulet that gives you +5 strength when you're already strong to begin with?
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    A green lasts you a day in a new expansion before you inevitably get a blue, and blues are just known to be immediately replaced by epics first 2-3 weeks you hit max level, so what's the point of these anymore? Moral masturbation as you get that small mental high of seeing an upgrade in color of your gear?

I don't know, this whole system is behind the times. It made more sense in pre-BC and BC because the gear was a lot more gated since there were a lot less options to get upgrades, but nowadays what's the point really, aside from epic -> legendary.
    nope. the day of a green or blue actually being something with a bit of temporary power are behind us.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Yeah, if we didn't have blues and greens- what would we disenchant?

I really don't get the fuzz about an item's color.

They do for some while leveling. At max level they are just a source of mats or gold for people. Actually one of the worst things about level scaling is in the past I would have sent some greens from zones to poorly geared alts if i leveled them up after the fact. Relics being something that would be very useful to have at various levels between 100 and 109.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    I really don't get the fuzz about an item's color.
    People ain't got better things to do / talk about.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    Lol, my roster of 7 characters all in full Epics in TBC says that was never true.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Lol, my roster of 7 characters all in full Epics in TBC says that was never true.
    While i didn't have 7 full equipped chars, getting "full epic" really wasn't hard in bc, every heroic 5 man and pvp had epics. But there were of course far less people in t6 than there are now in t19.

IIRC the item's rarity still affected its budget back then, which it doesn't today, so it's even more irrelevant to talk about colour.