Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    As someone who enjoys good pizza this hurts me (although I did live in NY for a year, so I can be distantly hurt as well).

Restaurants are a competitive business at the best of times. Even if they accept that they have direct competitors like Domino's, they're literally also competing with anyone that serves or sells food.

I generally rotate between a local pizza shop and dominos. I prefer the taste of the local pizza shop, but Dominos has a few perks:

• It's open 24/7
    • I can order online
    • I can use my card online and then tip on the receipt - I often don't have cash

That's another big factor imo. These huge companies can push out all the latest tech to all of their locations - making ordering there super easy for customers - where it would be a lot more difficult for a mom and pop pizza shop to also get an online ordering thing going. And it seems like smaller towns don't have enough tech savvy mom and pop shops to understand and utilize things like Grubhub. (Another big prob is Grubhub barely gets used in small towns because there are only like 1-2 places on it in any given area).

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Domino's is amazing. I don't mean their food, but that they're as successful as they are despite still being as terrible as they are. Despite half a dozen "new and improved" recipes it's still the worst pizza I know of and while I like their non-pizza items, quite frankly they're relatively expensive aND their deals just aren't very good.
    The last time I had Dominos was in the late 90's. At the time it tasted like someone put some fake cheese on a piece of cardboard. I haven't had them since then. I've heard from several people that they've greatly improved, but I'm really hesitant to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I generally rotate between a local pizza shop and dominos. I prefer the taste of the local pizza shop, but Dominos has a few perks:
    Another perk is that they accept hilarious orders like none pizza with left beef.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

I've never understood Domino's success; their pizza is the worst (aside from Little Caesar's) and their prices tend to be ridiculous when compared to the quality; if I crave pizza, I'd rather get a frozen pizza and cook it at home than order Dominos. The stranger part is that most people I know also dislike Domino's pizza, but they're quick to want to order some and no one can give me a rational explanation. I suppose credit can be given to their marketing team for making people willing (and sometimes even eager) to order food they don't like from an overpriced restaurant.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osoroshii View Post
    I've never understood Domino's success; their pizza is the worst (aside from Little Caesar's) and their prices tend to be ridiculous when compared to the quality; if I crave pizza, I'd rather get a frozen pizza and cook it at home than order Dominos. The stranger part is that most people I know also dislike Domino's pizza, but they're quick to want to order some and no one can give me a rational explanation. I suppose credit can be given to their marketing team for making people willing (and sometimes even eager) to order food they don't like from an overpriced restaurant.
    At least Little Caesar's is super super cheap.

We have Toppers in my city. The problem with Toppers isn't some deliberate undercutting strategy by Domino's, it's that Toppers just isn't any good. Domino's is pretty decent for very cheap and a bunch of local places are much better and much more expensive. Both of these satisfy something I want - fast, cheap, and easy or delicious and artisan. Being in some weird middle ground where you're not terrible, but double the price of Domino's and greatly inferior to local places just isn't appealing.

We actually got Domino's recently in Portugal, but not having tried it before, i have no idea how different it is from the original.

That being said, it's fucking awesome. Pizza Hut always comes with a coating of grease\oil underneath the base, which sucks, domino's is miles ahead right now (for the cheap\fast pizza variant, there are vastly better pizza places for a more legit pizza). I actually really like the dough and the toppings just seem fresh and taste good (i usually ask for mushrooms, peppers and pepperoni)

It is also cheap as fuck. We usually order 3 large pizzas for the family and ordering online it's 25€ (15€ for the first, 5€ for each following one), with a drink and some appetizers, which is also vastly cheaper than Pizza Hut, which would be 60€~for the same order. And they're always coming up with some decent promos.
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2017-03-25 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    We actually got Domino's recently in Portugal, but not having tried it before, i have no idea how different it is from the original.

That being said, it's fucking awesome. Pizza Hut always comes with a coating of grease\oil underneath the base, which sucks, domino's is miles ahead right now (for the cheap\fast pizza variant, there are vastly better pizza places for a more legit pizza).

It is also cheap as fuck. We usually order 3 large pizzas for the family and ordering online it's 30€ (20€ for the first, 5€ for each following one), with a drink and some appetizers, which is also vastly cheaper than Pizza Hut, which would be 60€~for the same order.
    Yeah, the price here $8 for any large three topping pizza. The online ordering system is great - accurate orders even when you have half and half pizzas. The variety is pretty nice too, the different crusts are sufficiently different to put a different spin on familiar things. It's just pretty good all around and quite cheap. I had a lot of friends over last night, got four larges for $32 and we were all set on food - not bad!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post

This made me chuckle.

The pizza is bad because if you have celiacs or gluten intolerant it could be dangersous! No shit.

They also tell you to avoid it if you have heart problems or heart disease. Well no shit, again. You should be avoiding ANY pizza.

It's basically a list of "If you are allergic to this thing, don't eat this thing". That doesn't make it bad.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Dominos is as expensive as eating at a lot of nice restaurants, and yet is super successful here.. I guess they have marketing and convenience nailed down hard enough to "dominate". Most of the Dominos in my area does serve really great pizza, that said it's not as good as some of the wood burning stone oven places I go to which are cheaper.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Dominos is as expensive as eating at a lot of nice restaurants, and yet is super successful here.. I guess they have marketing and convenience nailed down hard enough to "dominate". Most of the Dominos in my area does serve really great pizza, that said it's not as good as some of the wood burning stone oven places I go to which are cheaper.
    Where is here? As mentioned above, a large three topping pizza at Domino's is $8. Where are you getting enough food for two people at nice restaurants for $8?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why wouldn't you order pizza from your local pizza entrepreneur? 9.5 out of 10 times it's much better than what you're going to get at a Dominos or Pizza hut.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Where is here? As mentioned above, a large three topping pizza at Domino's is $8. Where are you getting enough food for two people at nice restaurants for $8?
    United Kingdom, large pizza is about £17 and a meal deal is like £22. By comparison for example a highly rated italian Pizza place I went to in the week was around £5 less per pizza including sit-in service and worked out only £15.50 for 2 pizzas due to their daily special offer, which is still cheaper than Dominos 2 for tuesday deal. I went to an Indian restaurant on thursday also highly rated and I spent a total of £13.80.

By comparison that Dominos £22 meal deal works out about $28 with our fucked up weak pound these days. Anyway, Dominos is really expensive and pretty much more expensive than any local type place you could go to and a lot of good restaurants too. The local Dominos here is really good though, I've no complaints of the quality.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Why wouldn't you order pizza from your local pizza entrepreneur? 9.5 out of 10 times it's much better than what you're going to get at a Dominos or Pizza hut.
    Volume, price, distance, wait time, quality (Being not a chain doesn't guarantee good pizza), earning free pizzas, ordering, paying and tipping in one button press online. Things like that draw people to mass production pizza.

- - - Updated - - -

United Kingdom, large pizza is about £17 and a meal deal is like £22. By comparison for example a highly rated italian Pizza place I went to in the week was around £5 less per pizza including sit-in service and worked out only £15.50 for 2 pizzas due to their daily special offer, which is still cheaper than Dominos 2 for tuesday deal. I went to an Indian restaurant on thursday also highly rated and I spent a total of £13.80.

By comparison that Dominos £22 meal deal works out about $28 with our fucked up weak pound these days. Anyway, Dominos is really expensive and pretty much more expensive than any local type place you could go to and a lot of good restaurants too. The local Dominos here is really good though, I've no complaints of the quality.
    Come to America. We have the 2 or more for $5.99 deal, apparently. Medium two topping pizzas, cheesy bread, wings, specialty chicken, sandwhiches, pasta, salads or the cookie brownie. $12.82 for two items carryout or $15.81 delivery.

Fantastic if you want multiple things or don't want a pizza.

Huh, yeah, that's a lot. I wouldn't be buying Dom's pretty much every was ~2.5X the current actual prices. Today I learned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Come to America. We have the 2 or more for $5.99 deal, apparently. Medium two topping pizzas, cheesy bread, wings, specialty chicken, sandwhiches, pasta, salads or the cookie brownie. $12.82 for two items carryout or $15.81 delivery.
    Only $12.46 in Wisconsin! Blessings be upon 4% sales tax.

No matter how much I make, I'm always too cheap for delivery though. Eh, 5 minute walk ain't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Joe's, Ray's, a different Ray's, and actually I think we did try a fourth place. It kind of all blurs together in a big mess of school cafeteria-quality "pizza" slop.
    Joe's is pretty good, Ray's not so much.

Dominos tastes like bland cardboard. That being said, wages aren't getting any higher lately and so I'm not surprised that people would choose $5 pizza over $25 pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Sorry I try to eat clean.
    Can you tell me which chemicals you're looking to avoid and why it's important to avoid consuming them, as well as the minimum hazardous dosage and the dosage found in the chicken? Furthermore, can you name the chemicals that are your unprocessed chicken itself and explain to me why they're not hazardous if orally consumed?
    I am on an autoimmune diet for my fatigue issues; the last time I had a setback was after I ate Pizza Hut stuffed crust pizza with some friends. It was absolutely the pizza. Not sure if it was the refined flours, palm oil, cheese or other garbage they put in their pizza but fast food chains put a lot of crap in their food and it can affect your body in a lot of ways, there is a lot of literature out there on it if you choose to avail yourself of it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with people avoiding food items that has weird shit in it. My fatigue is a lot better now that I re-cleaned my diet up and avoid inflammatory foods; inflammation is linked in scientific literature to numerous health conditions and you don't need to have an autoimmune condition to benefit from an anti-inflammatory diet.

Domino's is amazing. I don't mean their food, but that they're as successful as they are despite still being as terrible as they are. Despite half a dozen "new and improved" recipes it's still the worst pizza I know of and while I like their non-pizza items, quite frankly they're relatively expensive aND their deals just aren't very good.
    $7.99 for a large 3 topping pizza if you pick it up isn't a bad deal at all. I don't think the quality is terrible, either. No, it's not mom-and-pop's good but at the end of the day, you get what you pay for. I prefer Dominos to places like Papa Johns by far.