Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    If you think they can't see past that then you're the naive one. I never gave my opinion about whether it's their place or not. I really don't give a shit since I have nothing to hide. And there's literally no reason to give a shit if you have nothing to hide.
    Is your real name also Nexx226? No? Why did you decide to be anonymous if you've got nothing to hide?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well for one, I actually think it's against forum rules to release personal information for yourself or another user. Two, that's completely different circumstances. The government isn't going to fuck with me if I'm not doing anything illegal. Some random asshat on the internet could though. Do you seriously think these are equivalent?

See above.

Seriously, shittiest fucking argument I've ever fucking seen.
    And I should remind you that the thread is about selling your personal data to other corporations and businesses.

So, try harder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay? What does that have to do with anything I said?
    A-bso-lu-te-ly everything. Government is no different from corporations.

Deleted
    The government isn't going to fuck with me if I'm not doing anything illegal.
    What about future governments? Your data is stored and will be accessible by them. Or what about database breaches in the present? And this is assuming the current government is completely benevolent and has no malicious actors inside it (individuals, or even the government as a whole).

Your approach to this is incredibly naive.
    Last edited by mmoc5a65aaa171; 2017-03-25 at 08:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. It doesn't. Please quote specifically where my response refers to such a thing.
    You are just missing the point. "Bigly".

Private access to personal data is the same as the corporations and government access to the personal data. I should also remind you that in all of this circumstances your data is always accessed by some person, even if he is government employee.

And you should not believe that that person is malice-free only by basis of that he is government employee.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Is your real name also Nexx226? No? Why did you decide to be anonymous if you've got nothing to hide?
    I am actually Genn Greymane

Its true

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Nobody with a Tor browser and VPN on their computer has honest intentions.
    I value my privacy, so I ensure my ISP is a service provider and not a surveillance organization hoovering up all my actions to sell that information tied together with my subscriber information to other companies that see me as eyes and ears connected to a wallet to be sold to yet other companies. I'm not special. I don't think I'm untrackable or wouldn't get caught if I was doing anything illegal. But privacy for me includes my browsing habits and app usage.

My VPN also works on my phone and tablet so I don't need to be quite so concerned about the Wi-Fi networks I connect to.

Quote Originally Posted by Swag View Post
    Not that I'm a fan of this mind you, but right now ISPs are pretty much the only ones NOT making money on your data. I mean... we're all (most) using google or something to search the web and targeting you with ads based on your search history and / or selling is IS their business model. People just accept it. I'm not sure that this feels very different that that.
    My ISP is free like google? this is nowhere close you PAY YOUR ISP ALREADY when they start making it free then you can have a point.

Silly me for not including that 0.001% of Tor users who are top secret scientist and spies.
    or people who like to pirate things and not get caught.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Well for one, I actually think it's against forum rules to release personal information for yourself or another user. Two, that's completely different circumstances. The government isn't going to fuck with me if I'm not doing anything illegal. Some random asshat on the internet could though. Do you seriously think these are equivalent?

- - - Updated - - -

See above.

Seriously, shittiest fucking argument I've ever fucking seen.
    Heeeeh? Do you think corporations aren't going to use your data against you if they could make a single cent on it?

This shit isn't about governments.

You could even say that by using TOR you will minimize the risk of the random joe doxing you.

Again, my entire point is that if you use TOR or some less common OS then while that may help prevent some company from getting your data, it makes you more suspicious in the government's eyes because the vast majority of people who try to hide their online presence are up to no good.

There's also a difference between some company having my browsing habits to target me with ads and and some random guy using my personal info to commit a crime against me. Do you understand that? A corporation isn't going to dox you.
    A government won't know you are using TOR unless they actually come to your home and check your PC. That's the whole point of TOR. So if you are already at a point where the government knows that you are using TOR, you already did something wrong and made yourself a target of investigation.

I also wouldn't care about the "vast majority". They are not me and not of my concern. At least that's what I would think if I had to use TOR for whatever reason.

Also, are you the government or why do you know what makes someone more suspicious to them...? Or is it that people who use TOR are simply just suspicious to you?

Edit:

TOR is paramount to securing freedom of information. Wikileaks? TOR. Snowden? TOR. Inside information from the Arab Spring? TOR. Leaks from China and NK? TOR.

I don't give a fuck if some retarded people use it to jerk off to children. I'll let the police deal with this kind of stuff. Stop complaining about literally the only way of circumventing fascist and dictatorial governments and share information with people across the globe without dying for it.

If your average person wishes to use TOR to hide their personal data, more power to them. I do not put every person under immediate suspicion. That would be a disgusting thing to do.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2017-03-25 at 10:08 PM.

Again, my point is that it's ironic that using such a thing makes you more suspicious. Fuck you people really like to put words in other people's mouth.

You're also wrong right off the bat so I'm just going to go ahead and end the conversation there. It's pointless.
    Ah sorry. You used the old argument of nothing to hide nothing to fear. Reading it all again really doesn't make you look like you're against TOR per sé. My apologies.

But I don't see how I'm wrong with the first sentence. The government cannot link you to TOR. They can see that someone is using TOR. Until they actually know who is behind it, they have to spend tons of resources which they will not do if you are not doing something highly illegal.

Nobody with a Tor browser and VPN on their computer has honest intentions.
    Oh dear ...

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

You highly underestimate the ability of the NSA. But yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying to someone else as well. The way they collect data is in such a way that they don't know much about the person behind the data and they don't care until they determine it's a national security concern and they have no legal justification to unmask that person until such a concern is established. They definitely have the means to find out all about a person using TOR from the comfort of their offices though.
    Oh they don't have to go full 007 when finding out who is behind TOR, be it a person or a server. The Ross Ulbricht case proves that (although they did have to go 007 on him in order to actually catch him). But it conjures a lot of money which they will not spend on Joe just because they're bored, as you said.

I really don't want to imagine a world without TOR though. I'll gladly accept all the Silkroads of this world in exchange for a safe transportation of the information that really matters.

Again, my entire point is that if you use TOR or some less common OS then while that may help prevent some company from getting your data, it makes you more suspicious in the government's eyes because the vast majority of people who try to hide their online presence are up to no good.

There's also a difference between some company having my browsing habits to target me with ads and and some random guy using my personal info to commit a crime against me. Do you understand that? A corporation isn't going to dox you.
    i would say the vast majority of people who use vpns are just pirating shit on the internet.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i would say the vast majority of people who use vpns are just pirating shit on the internet.
    Or watching US Netflix and shit

It's finally time that in 2017 ISP companies across the US are finally free to sell your lucrative browsing history to the highest bidder.

If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about. You will actually get more refined and targeted ads and thus improving you're quality of life.

While this isn't ideal, you could always limit your internet use and focus on your wife, family and hobbies instead
    Or you can be like this guy here who's an example for all of US. Use only Internet to check random news websites and shitpost on GenOT.

All of this could be countered if all websites started using TLS.
    It's not that expensive or difficult to setup and then the only thing that your ISP can see is what site you're using, but not what you are doing on it.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2017-03-27 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    Considering the vast majority of people trying to get through China's great internet wall, Russia and many oppressive regimes use VPN and they greatly outnumber us you would be dead wrong.