Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Per Blizz, they don't have the old vanilla code anymore. It was iterated upon and no longer exists in that format.

You can bet your last bag of doughnuts that they still have the last code release from SC: BW though.

And this is without addressing the fact that SC was programmed in a time when games were significantly less complicated than today.

Have they ever said they don't have the resources or that it won't be profitable? I missed that if that's the case.

Seen them say over and over again that they just don't want to and would rather spend their time on new games or improving their current ones which I'm grateful for.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I suspect more people will play a remastered SC than invest effort in a Legacy server for years
    Though even more people would play WC3 and D2, so idk why they picked SC of the trilogy games. IIRC it was the least favorite of the 3 (don't get me wrong, still a great game that millions loved, just less than those that did WC3/D2).
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luger View Post
    ... but they do have the resources to unnecessarily remaster an old game like Starcraft?
    How many people asked for Vanilla servers and how many people asked for a remastered Starcraft?
    Looking at asia obviously a LOT more then stupid vanilla

They wouldn't even have to update any graphics for Vanilla WoW lol. It's literally a copy and paste.
    And this stupidity is what humankind has become after thousends of years of evolution.....

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    The differences between rereleasing vanilla and remastered SC1 are staggering.

Classic servers would need constant resources going into it. It would need systems in place for staggered release of patches (they cant just give you the last patch of vanilla and say have fun). It would raise the question of other expansion since releasing vanilla would then raise the question of TBC, WotLK etc... It would need its own set of support staff as well. The old code wouldn't work even if blizzard still had it due to changes in technology. Simply put, old WoW wouldn't work well on modern systems. Theres just so much different here.

Not to mention with SC1 remastered it has a price tag attached.
    I mean like.. Runescape did it though. Now they have two different games entirely.

Evolution Complete.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaCream View Post
    Yeah legacy servers will get like a million subs tops, a remastered starcraft will easily sell 10 million copies.
    except blizzard is giving it away FOR FREE.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pfbe View Post
    ...and everything else (heroes, diablo, starcraft, etc.) is kinda failing, ...
    And this dude works either for Blizzard or is full of it....

Legacy servers require a LOT more work. They'd have to have 1 PvE, 1 PvP, 1 PvE-RP, and 1 PvP-RP realm to appease everyone. Then they have to do that for every region. Then which patch do they support? Do they do evolving servers that progress through the launch patch to the end patch and then reset or do they pick a static server? Then people will expect some kind of support. What if the servers go down? Someone has to bring them back up. Or what happens if a major bug crops up that no one knew about before? That would have to be fixed.

Legacy servers aren't cost effective. They're as bad to Blizzard's bottom line as low population servers are right now. Blizzard keeps enabling CRZ to cut down on their costs, but if they did legacy servers, there would be no CRZ until Cata ... but what servers would they be CRZ'd with? Blizzard would have to foot a larger bill on those servers compared to live.

A Starcraft remaster can literally take maybe 2-5 people to do. It's been in development for a year. It really doesn't take much to redo a game like that. The same assests are repeatedly reused and the maps are just simple tilesets which don't take long to redo, either. The sprites don't look much different from the old ones which means they didn't really do much to those besides tweak them a bit to be HD. Once you get going, that doesn't take long to do. The parts that probably took the most were likely the adjusting of the cutscenes to 1080p (note that they didn't say they were entirely redone, just that they were improved to 1080p which likely just means texture updates) and then the new comic book style illustrations. Starcraft is not comparable in the slightest to legacy servers.

Starcraft is more akin to updating the original Zelda while the original WoW is like updating Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Two very different games.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    You have those numbers?
    Theres no real statistics on it that I can find at the moment. But those who have been active with SC1 and 2 have seen rather large drops in player activity. More and more are just doing co-op commander and moving back to Brood War. There have been major complaints leveled at SC2 on ALL levels since it released. The changes that LotV added were the final nail in the coffin. They got rid of any casual appeal by making it all about e-sports, but they over did it in that department so the game just isnt as interesting to watch due to forced metas.

I mean, their second lowest selling series was D3. Which sold 7.8 million over itself and its expansion. Meanwhile SC2 sold 8.6 million over itself and two expansion. In comparison, SC1 sold 9.5 million over 1 expansion. Maybe SC2 isnt the worse, but it would either it, or D3 that takes that title.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    except blizzard is giving it away FOR FREE.

- - - Updated - - -

And this dude works either for Blizzard or is full of it....
    No they aren't. They are giving gthe original away for free. Remastered will cost money.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Which is something that they could eventually do for Vanilla WoW.

Unfortunately Nost kind of shot themselves in the foot with their recent tantrum, so I don't see them ever getting the project.
    Blizz never outsource dev work, actually that's kinda suicidal thing to do in this case.

However, they outsource artwork, models, etc. Admittedly, they've started doing so only recently, like since couple of years or so.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    TBH I think it's more of the rts genre being in decline rather than SC2 not living up to its standards.
    The entire backbone of the RTS genre was built in the 90s and not much has happened since then which is why RTS has always felt stagnant much like adventure games. It's a very hard genre to innovate but there are so many clones which flood the market to the point where the law of averages allows some decent titles to pop up every now and then until the next high-profile release which puts it back on the radar.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Delana View Post
    You realize that all volunteer teams have realized what you're saying is a staggering amount of effort, yes? It's entirely blizzard's ego that drives them to insist that the current game is better, that there is no interest in Legacy servers, and that if people want such servers, they are objectively wrong.

Newsflash: People just want to play the old game. Maybe just for reasons of nostalgia.
    I dont think blizzard beleives theres no interest. They have themselves admitted there is interest.

I think blizzard believes that its not worth the effort. Even if they did it players won't be pleased with the results, since its not as simple as just releasing vanilla. Classic servers have fallen apart due to players wanting X Y and Z when X Y and Z aren't compatible. Vanilla was vanilla + many major patches and advancements. Other MMO also have classic servers, but they are classic progression servers that have patches dropping in regularly. They also feature modern conveniences to the base game. Problem is WoW is a much bigger monster. All doing vanilla servers would do would add on a lot of work for little if any payoff. Then theres the question of future expansions.

Nor can blizzard just have volunteers do it. They are a publicly traded company, they can't outsource a major project + materials to a volunteer squad.

Theres no real statistics on it that I can find at the moment. But those who have been active with SC1 and 2 have seen rather large drops in player activity. More and more are just doing co-op commander and moving back to Brood War. There have been major complaints leveled at SC2 on ALL levels since it released. The changes that LotV added were the final nail in the coffin. They got rid of any casual appeal by making it all about e-sports, but they over did it in that department so the game just isnt as interesting to watch due to forced metas.

I mean, their second lowest selling series was D3. Which sold 7.8 million over itself and its expansion. Meanwhile SC2 sold 8.6 million over itself and two expansion. In comparison, SC1 sold 9.5 million over 1 expansion. Maybe SC2 isnt the worse, but it would either it, or D3 that takes that title.
    If you don't have real numbers, you can;t say anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    If you don't have real numbers, you can;t say anything...
    Well the sales numbers it notable. I forget though that we live in a time that being active in something means you know nothing about it unless you can pull some numbers which, ultimately, would be denied anyway.

Funny seeing all these armchair people pretending to know how difficult legacy servers would be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the sales numbers it notable. I forget though that we live in a time that being active in something means you know nothing about it unless you can pull some numbers which, ultimately, would be denied anyway.
    It means your words are up to scrutiny. It's only he said she said which is not evidence at all.

Funny seeing all these armchair people pretending to know how difficult legacy servers would be.

Starcraft one is small compared to Classic WoW in terms of how much development is needed. It's not hard to comprehend.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Man, Bli$$ard has the resources to make starcraft remastered, but says it can't cure cancer what a joke!!

Thats because "feeling" like something is a way doesn't mean it is a way. I would believe numbers. If SC2 had a small percentage of its peak active players... that would say something. Just because you feel like less people are playing doesn't mean anything. And you attribute that as if it would be a Blizzard failure (if true) ... but its possible many other reasons exist for that hypothetically happening.

... but they do have the resources to unnecessarily remaster an old game like Starcraft?

How many people asked for Vanilla servers and how many people asked for a remastered Starcraft?

They wouldn't even have to update any graphics for Vanilla WoW lol

It's literally a copy and paste.
    You must be pretty stupid if you think the reason they don't make legacy servers is because they don't have the resources to support it.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-03-26 at 05:38 PM.

I hope they remaster Warcraft as well. Legacy servers are not coming, ever. Get over it.