Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I made a bet with my boss..I would quit smoking and he had to lose 40 pounds. He still gets ice cappuchinos from Tim Hortons at 7 in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I made a bet with my boss..I would quit smoking and he had to lose 40 pounds. He still gets ice cappuchinos from Tim Hortons at 7 in the morning.
    People underestimate this stuff. It's a warm milkshake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why can't/don't you gain muscle? Some would say weighing 150 lbs as a grown man is pathetic.
    Different people struggle with different stuff and most seem to lack the ability to put oneself into others position.
    Last edited by Dangg; 2017-03-26 at 10:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Godric View Post
    Perhaps this is something you should discuss with your parents and not the internet. Unless you are actually a 155 pound manlet that has a childlike fascination with alcohol and a insultingly high ignorance towards dietary habits. Unless of course you have little man syndrome and it makes you feel better by calling out the weight of others, which is quite common.

seriously dude? I am 155 pounds and quite conscience of it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    I'm the opposite. I can't get bigger even if I try. Eating tons of junk makes me sick and ruins my complexion, never actually gaining weight. I was a walking skeleton in middle school.
    I used to be like that. 6'0, 130 pounds. No matter what I ate. Then when I turned 30, it suddenly went up to 160. When I turned 40 it suddenly went up to 180. I'm not technically overweight given my height but I'm close to that point. I wouldn't mind going back to 160.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    I used to be like that. 6'0, 130 pounds. No matter what I ate. Then when I turned 30, it suddenly went up to 160. When I turned 40 it suddenly went up to 180. I'm not technically overweight given my height but I'm close to that point. I wouldn't mind going back to 160.

but you are aware of it. Thats the main thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Because:

- Eating healthy is not cheap.
    - Most readily available foods have added sugar and salt.
    - The Sugar lobby spend billions funding fake studies against fat when sugar is worse.
    - Parents are lazy and let children eat all kinds of garbage.
    - Once you gain weight even if you lose it there is a new layer under the skin which makes gaining it back much faster.
    - Fat children are very unlikely to shed their weight as they grow older due to bad habits.
    Literally all your points are countered by regular exercise

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Because:
    - Eating healthy is not cheap. --FAKE NEWS
    - Most readily available foods have added sugar and salt. -- True, don't be lazy, meal prep if you need instant gratification later.
    - The Sugar lobby spend billions funding fake studies against fat when sugar is worse. -- True, stay away from sweetened, fast foods, sauces, and processed food
    - Parents are lazy and let children eat all kinds of garbage. -- Yeah, shitty parents suck but there's a point you become responsible for your own habits, have some self control, make changes
    - Once you gain weight even if you lose it there is a new layer under the skin which makes gaining it back much faster. -- Will disappear over time, the point of losing weight is learning to live your new healthy lifestyle in the process, not to lose weight and go back to old habits

Exercise really isn't necessary. It might contribute to about 10% of your weight loss if you do it, do it well, and often. Diet is 90%. So if you say exercise is hard, that's just an excuse. Eat healthy foods that satiate, and you won't feel constant hunger pangs. If you justr eat breads, fast foods, quick carbs yeah, you're always gonna feel hungry. That's why you got fat.

Genetics is a shitty lazy excuse, it might make a tiny difference between individuals, and in a small percentage of the population there are those that have an actual issue. It's an extremely small exception.

The fact of the matter is, most people who are fat eat a lot more calories than they think they do. Some realize it, and don't care, most are oblivious.

To sum it up: Because lazy

It's on both sides of the fence. Genetically you can put weight on or lose it, it's called overactive or under active thyroid. It can get that bad that it needs a kickstart it by using radioactive therapy - that's how extreme these conditions if left unchecked with medication can happen.
    You can tinker your metabolism through diet and exercise. Problem is, sometimes it's laziness but most of the time it isn't. Personally, I can't see how people manage to fit everything in, eating is something you can multitask and then turn into a habit of being one so snacking rather meals occur.
    It's also down to the person, eating healthy or snacking regularly. Exercising or not exercising. As we age, we get less mobile simply by how we mature. We don't see the joy in running around in a giant playground as kids we loved it.

It's not a blanket survey of who does what because there's so many variables it hurts.

10+ Year Old Account
    j
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaper View Post
    To sum it up: Because lazy

lol 10 chars

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Please tell me you didn't mean that to be as insensitive and context-blind as you sounded. This thread is about people struggling to lose weight. I doubt people who are struggling to lose weight, need a "diagnosis" that they are fat.
    He didn't state what the doctor diagnosed that made it suddenly easy for his friend to lose weight. I was curious what the actual diagnosis was.

Also, most fat people are fat because they don't keep track of their weight so they don't see it as a concern. I actually do think overweight people need to be told there's a problem for them to make a change.

I'll bite, but only because someone will read this and it might resonate with them.

The reason people can't lose weight? Because our current paradigm of weight loss is wrong, plain and simple. Not only that but most information considered to be "true" is actually harmful to people trying to lose weight.

Examples:

- Exercising leads to weight loss:

Wrong. Exercise by itself usually leads to a combination of fat loss and lean muscle mass gain which results in a neutral "weight" on the scale. The fat loss from this activity results from hormone sensitivity in skeletal muscle. Usually men stand to benefit more from exercise due to the influence of testosterone on lean muscle and metabolism.

- Eating frequent meals will boost your metabolism:

Wrong. Eating frequently meals will stimulate insulin secretion worsening exisiting insulin resistance (50% of the US population is insulin resistant).

- Weight gain is simplified to calories in vs calories out:

Wrong. Weight gain (most of the time) occurs as a result of hormone dysregulation. Your hormones dictate where and how your body uses calories when they are consumed. In the presence of insulin resistance your body will shove calories into fat cells regardless of the amount of calories.

Studies have been done to show that you can simultaneously starve mice to death while making them fat through insulin infusion.

Also, at a more basic level, obesity is described as a state of malnourishment - which is why obese people have multiple hormone and nutrient deficiencies despite the amount of food they consume.

- Quantity matters over quality in terms of calories:

Wrong. If you think that 200 calories of pepsi is equivalent to 200 calories of virtually any fruit or vegetables then there's nothing I can do to help you. Food literally changes genetic transcription and results in enzymatic production in your body. This is how hormones get imbalanced through certain foods and how inflammation starts. Consider your food to be literal information for your cells and genes.

The list goes on and on.

If you have a critical mind then you know intuitively that our understanding of weight loss and thus weight gain is wrong.

Why?

I'll give you the most basic and fundamental example: The biggest loser.

If eating less and exercising more actually helps then how can you explain that all of the contestants (well 98% of them) gain ALL of their weight back after the show despite eating fewer calories and exercising like crazy? The answer: calorie restriction reduces basal metabolic rate which always results in weight gain long term.

Biggest loser contestants on average burn 700 calories less than age matched controls (even 6 years after the fact).

So the problem?

It's simple.

Our treatment is wrong.

I'm going with "because it's a lot of work to lose weight but pretty easy to gain it".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    why isn't there a like button on the forums?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because they have problems exercising discipline. Now, this is not the case for everyone, but I think it is for anything one overdoes with most people.

Deleted
    healthy food is expensive as fuck

Want to know for yourself? get fat and then try to lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolaris192 View Post
    Literally all your points are countered by regular exercise
    Wrong very wrong ask any nutritionist, bodybuilder or health expert nutrition plays a much bigger part than regular exercise. It is much easier to not eat the wrong thing then it is to burn it or turn the fat into muscle using exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I read all that. Just confusing how any sane person keeps shoveling the same slop into their mouth. I would like to think we are a society that has information at hand at all times.
    Why do otherwise sane people suck on cancer sticks?

Also, the human body is complex. Simply "eating less", unless your current eating habits are wildly unhealthy, is unlikely to produce results. You've got to watch what you're eating, not just how much, and you've got to exercise.

Everyone's body is different. You say you're 155 pounds, I haven't been 155 pounds since 8th grade. Even when I was a senior in high school and I was skinny as a rail I was 200 pounds. Different bodies are different.
    Beta Club Brosquad