Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Wasn't Orgrimmar different in Vanilla? And many other things. That is not just copy and paste then.
    It actually is, look up Fray Island on wowwiki (old warrior island for zerker stance)

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you people want to go back to Vanilla WoW so badly. The game was a broken mess. The only thing that made Vanilla WoW so memorable was the community and that's gone for the most part.

Even if Blizzard did do legacy servers it still wouldn't please everyone in that community.

Take this for one example. Does Blizzard start with the original vanilla patch and stagger them clear up through Naxx? What about players who hated some of the later patches in vanilla (whether due to later class balance/dungeons/raids/gear/etc. etc.)? Do they just release the game up to the final patch from the get go? What about players who wanted to experience or re-experience the game in the natural sequential order that it was originally released in? Don't even get me started on the debate that would surely rise if legacy servers did become a thing & the arguments that would ensue about whether or not the old patches, class balance, or encounters should be maintained in their original forms, or if they should be altered in order to have a more 'QoL-friendly version of vanilla'. Even with legacy servers the above proves that it still wouldn't perfectly deliver what each niche parts of the legacy communities would want.

You also need to consider that if Blizzard does make legacy vanilla servers then they would receive pressure to make copies of every following expansion that every random player enjoyed. Is Blizzard supposed to continuously keep backing up every damn expansion for nostalgic reasons? Take about a massive waste & drain of resources if that would be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luger View Post
    ... but they do have the resources to unnecessarily remaster an old game like Starcraft?
    Did they make Starcraft an MMO ? Awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Averrix View Post
    Why do you people want to go back to Vanilla WoW so badly.
    They want vanilla - but without the grind of vanilla, but with flying and they don't want the horrible RNG or the 8 hour down times every single week.

They want alternative vanilla...

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Averrix View Post
    Why do you people want to go back to Vanilla WoW so badly. The game was a broken mess. The only thing that made Vanilla WoW so memorable was the community and that's gone for the most part.
    the world, people didn't really missed that before cata because it still existed

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    I honestly can't see how. It's not like their legacy servers would be free to play on, and people would join back to play, thereby upping the sub count / income coming in each month. Legacy servers would literally be getting no new content, just a graphics update in the same way that Starcraft is.

Hell, Starcraft is getting updated and audio, and adding matchmaking, ladder, social features, and more. If they can do that for a 20 year old game, I think a few graphical updates for 12 year old Vanilla WoW servers shouldn't be too hard.
    they don't need to update the game graphically, people who want to play vanilla are not interested in that particularly, but what tells you that people who want to play legacy won't play like 6 months feel good and come back once every 1-2 years without getting involved in wow (financially too) once their needs are met ? players that currently play on live, but will drop out of the regular game after all of those "adventures"
    Last edited by Cæli; 2017-03-27 at 12:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's literally a copy and paste.
    You think it is but it's not.
    Plus they just don't want to bring legacy servers ever, it's pretty clear that they're not investing time and money in that.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaCream View Post
    Yeah legacy servers will get like a million subs tops, a remastered starcraft will easily sell 10 million copies.
    Pretty sure this remaster is supposed to be free, or something?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

7+ Year Old Account
    ... but they do have the resources to unnecessarily remaster an old game like Starcraft?

How many people asked for Vanilla servers and how many people asked for a remastered Starcraft?

They wouldn't even have to update any graphics for Vanilla WoW lol

Vanilla WoW is still live. Original Starcraft = new money. Not hard to see why you are not on their marketing team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Did they make Starcraft an MMO ? Awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

They want vanilla - but without the grind of vanilla, but with flying and they don't want the horrible RNG or the 8 hour down times every single week.

They want alternative vanilla...
    Wrong, I play on Vanilla servers and we /don't/ have 8 hour down-times, or flying.

Stop with the BS. Some people just enjoy some aspects of the game that are gone/have been changed that were around in Vanilla/TBC, and hell, even WotLK.

Hell, for me, I prefer the old-school talent system and a lot of the older ways classes worked.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Pretty sure this remaster is supposed to be free, or something?
    Pricing for StarCraft Remastered has not yet been announced.
    Blizzard is making the original Starcraft and Brood War games free

What this means is that the old old versions will be free but the stuff they are working on will have a cost. I doubt it will be that much but still needs to pay for the work (and then some).

- - - Updated - - -

Hell, for me, I prefer the old-school talent system and a lot of the older ways classes worked.
    Yeah I loved plinking down points in useless talents to get to better things. And what part of the 'classes working' did you like? The only tanks being warriors, all hybrids being forced to heal or most people on PS being a warrior, rogue or mage?

For their vanilla code to work they need their old hardware configuration as well. It was the era of stupid script deployments not today's fancy container dev-ops shenanigans.

There was an interview mentioning they have no documentation or backward migration methods for that. Ofc its doable, but at what cost?
    Last edited by Xjev; 2017-03-27 at 01:08 AM.

Doing legacy servers is something blizzard doesn't want to do. It's something they are against, why can't you just accept that

Replacing the models and some under the hood tweaks vs completely rebuilding a vanilla version of an mmorpg. It's not even close to being similar project sizes.

I swear, people will find any opportunity they can to complain about not getting their way.

Also, where did they ever say they didn't have the resources? The answer is a much more entertaining one for most of us who don't like these legacy whiner people. It's not that they CAN'T. It's that they don't WANT to work on something they feel like is a waste of their time.
    Last edited by Camthur; 2017-03-27 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kpmk View Post
    Doing legacy servers is something blizzard doesn't want to do. It's something they are against, why can't you just accept that
    Because Vanilla WoW is some people's favourite game that they still hold an emotional attachment to, and a hugely important game in video game history, and Blizzard have made it impossible to legally play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Pricing for StarCraft Remastered has not yet been announced.
    Blizzard is making the original Starcraft and Brood War games free

What this means is that the old old versions will be free but the stuff they are working on will have a cost. I doubt it will be that much but still needs to pay for the work (and then some).

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I loved plinking down points in useless talents to get to better things. And what part of the 'classes working' did you like? The only tanks being warriors, all hybrids being forced to heal or most people on PS being a warrior, rogue or mage?
    Typical response.

I like having SOME increase in SOMETHING rather than nothing, like we do now. It's not like you get a new skill or something all the time now. And besides, there was more to it, back then. You could make real hybrid specs and if you were able to play them well, they were very interesting. One of my favorite things I did on my priest in TBC was make a nearly 50/50 holy/disc spec of my choosing. Nowadays? Can't do that. It made for interesting playing, that's all. I liked the choice I was given.

And I love how you completely ignored where I said how I like things from Vanilla AND TBC AND even WotLK... that should tell you that maybe, just maybe, I prefer when hybrids are allowed to dps or others can tank.

Either way, I play a Vanilla shadow priest and it works out quite well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    Because Vanilla WoW is some people's favourite game that they still hold an emotional attachment to, and a hugely important game in video game history, and Blizzard have made it impossible to legally play it.
    Well said! Why don't more people understand this? Seriously, why not? People still play the same damned single player games over and over again! Not too many different experiences you can get in those, like Legend of Zelda: OoT, for instance? There's only so many different things you can do.

Guess what I can do on a LIVE game server? Make new memories with new and old friends. It's a multiplayer game, that gives infinite opportunities. And if I like the play-style of, say, holy priests (for example) in Vanilla, but not now, why should I be bared from playing that style? Because Blizzard doesn't want me to? Well f them.
    "A flower.

Wrong,
    Vanilla had all of those shortcomings, stop making stuff up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LOLIKSA View Post
    .... stuff....
    May the lease on your IP address be extra long....

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still with the legacy crying? Geez, people need to learn to let it go.

How many people asked for Vanilla servers and how many people asked for a remastered Starcraft?

They wouldn't even have to update any graphics for Vanilla WoW lol

There are two problems with your idea

1. There is no ´vanilla´ WOW.. the code doesn´t exist which means it would requires a ton of work. SC is mostly just a graphics upgrade.

2. The whole concept of ´vanilla´ is stupid.. Not to use politics too much, but it is similar to what happened with the Republican health care plan. When they only had to vote against Obamacare, the Reps were able to pass ´repeal´ 60 different times under Obama. But when it came time to create their own plan, the nitty-gritty details made it impossible for them all to agree on what it would be. A lot of people say they would play on a legacy server, but there are millions of details and things that have been drastically improved since Vanilla that people would want in it. Many people say they want it exactly the way it was a month before BC launched..... yeah.. until they start noticing all the major improvements that have been made to little things that they don´t even think about anymore. As soon as the devs make one legacy server, there would be a huge amount of people asking for a different version. I want what we have now, just locked at 60... others want an exact copy of pre-bc... other will want it to be locked at 60, with characters the same as they were in vanilla, but all of the quality of life improvements.. etc etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    An example of yet another armchair developer who thinks they know better than everyone else.

It is not a copy and paste. The database they have today does not work with what they had a decade ago. There have been enormous changes in hardware, graphics standards, security, etc that are incompatible with their old code base without significant investment in updating it without breaking the original feel and function.

This is just as apparent to any development company. Just this last week I had to completely rebuild - 3 day job - a service that order and loads Netspend prepaid debit cards for our point of sale system because they're moving to TLS 1.1/1.2 and our existing .NET 3.5 codebase couldn't support it. I had to develop a separate 4.6 service and build a new Server 2012 platform because IIS 7.0 doesn't support it either.

That's just one example, and a simple one, in the end. A system as large and as old as WoW will have dozens of those kind of issues, probably more. Their code is nearly 5 years older than ours, at a time when DirectDraw was common. It is not a copy & paste job.
    this is right and blizzard developers are just not as good as these 2 guys that started nostalrius so stop hoping for them to make this happen like so many garage developers have already done.

They have the resources, they just don't want to put those resources towards a project that won't ultimately make it worth the effort.

Starcraft is worth the effort apparently. That's really all there is to it.