Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Light Lord Illidan?

So I won't pretend to know a ton about lore but I remember seeing a few theories about Illidan being a candidate for some sort of leader of the army of light against the legion (again can't lie I don't remember many specifics lol.) With the mythic version of Gul'Dan fight having you fight and kill Illidans "inner demon," and blizzards love of locking lore behind mythic lately (only bring it up for correlation), do you think they're setting him up to be "purged" more or less from his demonic side? Curious on peoples thoughts about if killing Illidans "inner demon" is relevant to anything lore wise, or just something blizz made for mechanics I suppose haha.
    Last edited by LightClaw; 2017-03-27 at 09:42 AM.

Deleted
    Inb4 the first boss fight of 7.3 is Illidan being purge and we need to put a new demon and a Naaru into him. magtheridon and A'dal fight incoming .
    More seriously thought, if his is purged of Azzernoith (proably spelled wrong) he would revert back into his nightelf form I guess or dies of it. Even though (not sure at all) his inner demon is just fough back and into his body in the mythic fight, otherwise we just found a new way to make demon hunters strongere without having to worry about losing their inner fight with their literly demons.
    Sorry if I just made more confusion.
    Last edited by mmocf53428550e; 2017-03-27 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Meh, Blizzard don't care about the lore anymore so why the hell should I. If WoD jumped the shark then Legion punted it into orbit.

Deleted
    I would like it since he has always been quite "special" when it comes to wielding arcane magic and sacrificing for greater good.

Maybe Lothraxion will offer himself for a new ritual for Illidan

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Meh, Blizzard don't care about the lore anymore so why the hell should I. If WoD jumped the shark then Legion punted it into orbit.
    How did you reach this conclusion, could you elaborate please? Genuine question, I understand the explanation will be of a subjective nature, but that's okay with me.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    How did you reach this conclusion, could you elaborate please? Genuine question, I understand the explanation will be of a subjective nature, but that's okay with me.
    Well basically, in WoD Blizzard decided to add time travel into the mix, thus creating an alternate timeline and then allowed the player to travel into the alternate timeline and battle/ally with heroes/villains/etc who are dead in the main universe, hence the jumping the shark comment.

In Legion Blizzard completely retconned (revise retrospectively, typically by introducing a piece of new information that imposes a different interpretation on previously described events) a lot of lore that had been long established. Which would be bad on it's own (rewriting 15+ year old events that were key to the game's story should always be a no no) however these changes also directly re-wrote the players own story and past accomplishments (a MAJOR no no in any MMORPG), hence the punting the shark into orbit comment.

At this point I fully believe Arthas will return in the next expansion, explain he was just playing dead (How Blizzard reintroduced the NPC Nathanos Blightcaller after his death in Vanilla), explain how he was a double agent all along working on our side to improve our armies without the baddies noticing, and then team up with Illidan and perform the fusion dance to become super mega Arthidan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well basically, in WoD Blizzard decided to add time travel into the mix, thus creating an alternate timeline and then allowed the player to travel into the alternate timeline and battle/ally with heroes/villains/etc who are dead in the main universe, hence the jumping the shark comment.

In Legion Blizzard completely retconned (revise retrospectively, typically by introducing a piece of new information that imposes a different interpretation on previously described events) a lot of lore that had been long established. Which would be bad on it's own (rewriting 15+ year old events that were key to the game's story should always be a no no) however these changes also directly re-wrote the players own story and past accomplishments (a MAJOR no no in any MMORPG), hence the punting the shark into orbit comment.

At this point I fully believe Arthas will return in the next expansion, explain he was just playing dead (How Blizzard reintroduced the NPC Nathanos Blightcaller after his death in Vanilla), explain how he was a double agent all along working on our side to improve our armies without the baddies noticing, and then team up with Illidan and perform the fusion dance to become super mega Arthidan.
    I have to agree on the time-travel shenanigans. I still find hard to understand why they had to down that path instead of advancing the main storyline, even going as far as bringing Gul'dan back in while actual military assets such as Grom (even if he's a homicidal bastard) stay in their pocket universe.

Looking back, it is quite ironic that Wrathions plan was to bring the orc armies into Azeroth to help with the Legion and then, after amending everything that went wrong there, coming back to Azeroth with nothing to show for it but a maniacal fel-infused Gul'dan.

PD: Light Lord Illidan is the equivalent to a Super Sayan 4 Mary Sue

7+ Year Old Account
    that's literally what they he is going to happen to him in the future....

unless they want to retcon the ending of the illidan novel.

Formerly known as Arafal

Why not lol? Illid'an is going full Kerrigan.

Its basically starcraft now

We go to argus and fight the burning legion, Illidan kerrigans Sargeras. Malfurion dies. Tyrande sits somewhere in darnassus, in the background you can see a blurry illidan. A few words. They leave together and are never seen again. Maiev or Shandris becomes the new faction leader of the night elves. Done
    An'u belore delen'na

Anyone else think they're gonna pull a Kerrigan with Illidan?

Illidan was a mistake.

Quit playing for the foreseeable future.

Well, Illidan is predicted to become the "child of Light and Shadow" by Xe'ra. In the Illidan novel, a glimpse of his future is shown where he seems to be a mixture of a demon and a light-infused being, similar to Lothraxion. He is predicted to use glaives of light, and have a Naaru symbol on his forehead, leading battles for the Army of the Light.

It should be noted that he's been on this path, lore-wise, for a while. He was already blessed by a Naaru Prime (most likely Xe'ra) in the Illidan novel, before he died in Black Temple. His body is also resurrected by the Light - it was Xe'ra's last act in the Light, in fact. However, he's still clearly demonic. So, we'll have to see how he comes to "balance" Light and Shadow in the future.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    Well, Illidan is predicted to become the "child of Light and Shadow" by Xe'ra. In the Illidan novel, a glimpse of his future is shown where he seems to be a mixture of a demon and a light-infused being, similar to Lothraxion. He is predicted to use glaives of light, and have a Naaru symbol on his forehead, leading battles for the Army of the Light.

It should be noted that he's been on this path, lore-wise, for a while. He was already blessed by a Naaru Prime (most likely Xe'ra) in the Illidan novel, before he died in Black Temple. His body is also resurrected by the Light - it was Xe'ra's last act in the Light, in fact. However, he's still clearly demonic. So, we'll have to see how he comes to "balance" Light and Shadow in the future.
    Aaah, interesting. Pretty much all of my lore knowledge comes from WC3 and random wowpedia readings so I'm woefully (wowfully? bah-dum-tss) ignorant lol. Ty for clarifying that leader position prophecy, couldn't remember if they were theories or based on actual lore haha. So Illidan is definitely heading down this path, makes me wonder even more if this is going to be relevant, but as you said nothing to do but wait and see lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecue93 View Post
    Inb4 the first boss fight of 7.3 is Illidan being purge and we need to put a new demon and a Naaru into him. magtheridon and A'dal fight incoming .
    More seriously thought, if his is purged of Azzernoith (proably spelled wrong) he would revert back into his nightelf form I guess or dies of it. Even though (not sure at all) his inner demon is just fough back and into his body in the mythic fight, otherwise we just found a new way to make demon hunters strongere without having to worry about losing their inner fight with their literly demons.
    Sorry if I just made more confusion.
    Illidan got his Warglaives from Azzinoth, but he was transformed into a demon when he absorbed the Skull of Gul'dan. So, purging his demon form would be purging the power of Gul'dan, I do not see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerref View Post
    Illidan got his Warglaives from Azzinoth, but he was transformed into a demon when he absorbed the Skull of Gul'dan. So, purging his demon form would be purging the power of Gul'dan, I do not see that happening.
    Maybe the light alters his appearance somehow, but lets him keep his powers.

Nothing has been rewritten about player involvement. We killed Illidan. It's just a matter of perspective. We killed Illidan, but didn't know that he was trying to save us all. That's not rewriting. That's offering a new perspective. But also, who says rewriting 15 year old things is a no-no? If Frank Miller didn't rewrite Batman's origin he would still be wearing blue and calling people 'chum' and stopping the Joker from stealing pies. Who made you such an authority on multi-platform, decade-spanning storytelling? Are you aware that the First War, according to the Orcs and Humans manual, went on for like 20 years? Are you ok with that retcon, or is that a no-no too?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Since this guy exists, I have no doubt that Illidan could easily become some Light Wielding Demonic looking motherfucker.

Deleted
    oh, thanks for clearing that up for me Zerref And you are right, would be wierd to try and purge his power from the Skull of Gul'dan.