Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    WoW is still coasting off its past success. Not to say today's WoW isn't decent, but if WoW started at Cata it'd go the way of ther failed MMOs.

Please. Hearthstone and OW are simplistic trash that only got popular due to hype and being made by Blizzard. They were both aimed at 10 year olds and 10 year olds are fucking stupid. An Indy company puts out those same games and no one cares.
    Opinions aside though, in the context of the OP I don't think it can be denied that Blizzard isn't 'trying,' although we can debate all day as to how much effort *we* think they should be putting into it.

Are they doing the best possible job? No. I'd say they aren't.
    Are they practicing at EA levels of nickel-and-dime coasting? No.
    But are they going in that direction? Who gives a damn, that's not the question (and so far, no).

Oh and by nickel-and-dime coasting, I mean EA and other studios that release their yearly franchise games and a fresh batch of microtransactions to "help" players start over again.

You have to remember that, ever since after WotLK, Blizzard "merged" and became Activision-Blizzard.

They try to hide that first part of their name, but that's because anyone with understanding of how Activi$ion works doesn't care much for the company.

Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    You have to remember that, ever since after WotLK, Blizzard "merged" and became Activision-Blizzard.

They try to hide that first part of their name, but that's because anyone with understanding of how Activi$ion works doesn't care much for the company.
    The merger came before WotLK released.

Given the fact that Legion has a shitload of great content and Overwatch and Hearthstone are massively popular and well-regarded games, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no. Obviously none of this stuff gets made without their early successes, but that has more to do with the concept of time than it does with "coasting" or whatever you're implying.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    I thnk OP just wants to have a bitch because Blizzard doen't cater to him anymore. Maybe it would be best if OP just moves along cause he is just looking for a fight.
    See...
    pretty much this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    The merger came before WotLK released.
    Wrath was done and in the final stages by then though.

We didn't really start to see the effects of the merger until the end of Wrath and/or Cata, and we all know how that went.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    Wrath was done and in the final stages by then though.

We didn't really start to see the effects of the merger until the end of Wrath and/or Cata, and we all know how that went.
    Didn't wrath had the first cash shop items. Aka pets?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreSick View Post
    Pretty straightforward question. What do you think?
    Why the fuck do you care? Either play their games or don't. I miss the times when gamers were gamers instead of wannabe businessmen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty straightforward question. What do you think?
    I think Blizzard has proven that isn't the case.

(1) They have proven they can create something new and unique and it be a hit (Overwatch).

(2) They have proven they can keep up with quickly changing trends in the gaming market (Hearthstone).

(3) They have managed to keep franchises alive and remain relevant and true to a longstanding fan base. (Diablo, WoW, Starcraft)

Blizzard financial statements show GROWTH, coasting suggests stagnation... even keel. So not only do I disagree, your comment posed as a question is demonstrably false.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2017-03-27 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Didn't wrath had the first cash shop items. Aka pets?
    I think it was the charity pet in BC. WotLK was the first mount.

Hearthstone and Overwatch are not amazing games. The fact that we'd even consider them as such proves how fucking terrible video games are now.
    Hearthstone is mechanically innovative but competitively stale

Overwatch is mechanically stale but competitively innovative

No. They put a lot of effort into each expansion and their other games. WoW is great, sorry something butthurt you.

15+ Year Old Account
    If Hearthstone and Overwatch are complete trash like some in this thread are claiming could you guys tell me which games are good then?
    This is a sincere question. I really enjoy playing worthwhile games.

I don't think they do as they are still amazingly successful with their new games. I think Legion is as good as WoW has been barring the RNG nature of it as it's only detraction.

However, in my opinion, the new SC and Diablo games are relatively bad when compared to their predecessors. OW is a ton of fun but I have never viewed a multiplayer game (no matter how fun) as a "best game of all time".

So, in my opinion, they are still making excellently fun games that do not hold the legacy status of their older titles like WC2, SC, D1 and D2. Just my opinion.

Then again, I am a heretic who grew up playing the 2d Zeldas and view Link to the Past and Link's Awakening as VASTLY better games than Ocarina or any 3d Zelda. (I haven't played BotW yet, but I expect that may be the first 3d Zelda to surpass the 2ds of my youth).

Hearthstone and Overwatch are not amazing games. The fact that we'd even consider them as such proves how fucking terrible video games are now.
    Only thing this shows is how fucking terrible your opinions are.

Right. Then find a new hobby? No one is forcing you to stay.

Every game company does. Just look at Bioware.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Blizzard modus operandi never changed, it's same way now as it was in the past. They take some good idea (very often from underrated game) and shape it to be more succesful by enhancing the gameplay and open for more casual audience.

Examples:
    1) typical isometric RPG -> Diablo
    2) typical turn-based strategy game -> Warcraft/Starcraft
    3) Everquest -> World of Warcraft
    4) Magic the Gathering -> Hearthstone
    5) TF2 -> Overwatch

Only time when it failed was HotS (don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game), because LoL was already super popular.

Ah, nostalgia... dude, you get dissapointed, because you WANT to be dissapointed. Modern game are not perfect, but usually have FAR more quality. Just show someone Wrathgate and some recent cinematic, like Nighthold or 7.2 and ask what is better.

Don't get comment on Overwatch. It is HUGE success, last time I checked 25 millions bought it + it got many GotY for 2016.

I like D3 gameplay, story is great too. But it lack one key thing - this gothic/unholy athmosfere from Diablo 2. I hope they will recognize it and change with D4.
    By this logic, Attack of the Clones is better than Empire because "looks prettier" fuck outta here with that you idiot. Nighthold has literally NOTHING I care about like the Arthas storyline.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dragonheart View Post
    Considering that they are still releasing triple-A games that completely dominate their genres and markets... No, they are not merely coasting of their past achievements.
    Based on your sig I doubt you'd have a bad word to say about the company that enabled you to waste your life roleplaying and doing nothing of value.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Why the fuck do you care? Either play their games or don't. I miss the times when gamers were gamers instead of wannabe businessmen.
    Caught me dude! I is trying to be teh businessman.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    By this logic, Attack of the Clones is better than Empire because "looks prettier" fuck outta here with that you idiot. Nighthold has literally NOTHING I care about like the Arthas storyline.
    Wrathgate is better than Nighthold because Empire Strikes Back is better than Attack of the Clones?

I spoke to you like to normal person, but you act like another angry monkey from depths of this forum. I got that you WANT Blizzard games to be bad (for some... strange reason), but they're bad or good no matter how loud you will shout about this.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Based on your sig I doubt you'd have a bad word to say about the company that enabled you to waste your life roleplaying and doing nothing of value.
    Nothing of value is something that I'd have to solely disagree on, my realm is amazing and has been very good to me. It is significantly more fun than any other realm that I've been on, by far. I would definitely judge someone based on their direct actions, it's better than by some sort of bias assumption, like what realm they play on.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!