Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Ted Kopple tells Hannity that Hannity is bad for America

Ted Kopple has been a respected Journalist for 40 years. Hannity does an "opinion" show, also known as editorial show on Fox news.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...d-for-america/

“You’re cynical,” Hannity said.

“I am cynical,” Koppel responded.

“Do you think we’re bad for America? You think I’m bad for America?” Hannity asked.

Koppel didn’t miss a beat. “Yeah,” he said, and continued over multiple interruptions from Hannity:

Koppel: “In the long haul I think you and all these opinion shows —”

Hannity: “Really? That’s sad, Ted. That’s sad.”

Koppel: “No, you know why? Because you’re very good at what you do, and because you have attracted a significantly more influential —”

Hannity: “You are selling the American people short.”

Koppel: “No, let me finish the sentence before you do that.”

Hannity: “I’m listening. With all due respect. Take the floor.”

Koppel: “You have attracted people who are determined that ideology is more important than facts.”

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Koppel isnt wrong. Most of the news people dont like these days are literal editorials, except in talk show form.

Inb4: THE OTHER SIDE DOES IT TOO REEEEE

10+ Year Old Account
    Koppel is correct and it is a depressing fact. Both sides are just autist filled echo chambers.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Koppel isnt wrong. Most of the news people dont like these days are literal editorials, except in talk show form.

Inb4: THE OTHER SIDE DOES IT TOO REEEEE
    Pretty sure you're joking because both sides do this. Koppel was saying this, it's the opinion types of shows that are the issue, regardless of what exactly the opinions are. Most of these types of shows work under the illusion of being an actual news broadcast. Sadly this isn't something that can really be fixed, it is what it is. All we can do is learn to shift through the bullshit for ourselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did Hannity ever get waterboarded like he said he would?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashtronaut View Post
    Pretty sure you're joking because both sides do this. Koppel was saying this, it's the opinion types of shows that are the issue, regardless of what exactly the opinions are. Most of these types of shows work under the illusion of being an actual news broadcast. Sadly this isn't something that can really be fixed, it is what it is. All we can do is learn to shift through the bullshit for ourselves.
    I think you missed my point

I just go under the assumption that people will state "the other side does it, thus it is okay"

I listen to Hannity's radio show sometimes while on my way to work and home and I have been so tempted to call in and to tell him he's sold is soul for ratings since Trump rose up. It's been blowing my mind hearing him support stuff that I know he railed against back during GWB and Obama's terms. He talks about Koppel's opinion being sad? Well at least Koppel's opinion doesn't change based on ratings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Did Hannity ever get waterboarded like he said he would?
    Doubt it, I tried it with friends while I was drunk.

Long story short, its fucking torture and was the first time I almost cried as an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Ted Kopple has been a respected Journalist for 40 years. Hannity does an "opinion" show, also known as editorial show on Fox news.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...d-for-america/

“You’re cynical,” Hannity said.

“I am cynical,” Koppel responded.

“Do you think we’re bad for America? You think I’m bad for America?” Hannity asked.

Koppel didn’t miss a beat. “Yeah,” he said, and continued over multiple interruptions from Hannity:

Koppel: “In the long haul I think you and all these opinion shows —”

Hannity: “Really? That’s sad, Ted. That’s sad.”

Koppel: “No, you know why? Because you’re very good at what you do, and because you have attracted a significantly more influential —”

Hannity: “You are selling the American people short.”

Koppel: “No, let me finish the sentence before you do that.”

Hannity: “I’m listening. With all due respect. Take the floor.”

Koppel: “You have attracted people who are determined that ideology is more important than facts.”
    Hannity basically proved Koppel right and he likely doesn't even realize it.

10+ Year Old Account
    “You have attracted people who are determined that ideology is more important than facts.”
    Hit the nail on the head. But to be fair to Fox News there's been a significant part of the population that has never cared about facts. Fox News didn't create these people, they just found their target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Hannity basically proved Koppel right and he likely doesn't even realize it.
    That's because Hannity is stupid as fuck just like everyone who watches Hannity.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's not wrong. More people are focused on identity politics rather than real issues.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This has displaced the raccoon trying to wash cotton candy as my favorite video of this century.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate Hannity. He just hates everything that is not Trump

Fox news isn't all that biased, it's these "editorial" guys and their shows who are right wing. I guess O'Reily was a news reporter at one time but he's long since given that up. Hannity never had journalistic experience, far as I know he's just some guy off the street who started with a radio show.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Not going to lie, I'm surprised Hannity stopped yelling for long enough to let Koppel say this. The amount of respect Koppel commands is massive, and can even silence someone as famous for their loud, disrespectful, idiotic shouting rants over their guests like Hannity.

My least favorite part is Hannity's smirk and shake of his head, because he's completely fucking clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Fox news isn't all that biased, it's these "editorial" guys and their shows who are right wing. I guess O'Reily was a news reporter at one time but he's long since given that up. Hannity never had journalistic experience, far as I know he's just some guy off the street who started with a radio show.
    "these editorial guys" make up the overwhelming majority of their programming. They only have 2 hours of "news" on a day, if I recall correctly. And that's per Fox News' own statement, the rest is commentary/etc., not actual news.

The only actual newsperson they have on their network that I've seen is Shepherd Smith, the rest are all ideological shills with little to no attachment to reality, truth, or facts.

Yes, Fox News is biased as hell almost all day long.

Not being a viewer of any of these opinion shows, I can see how people get sucked in. Whether it's Rachel Maddow or Sean Hannity, having someone argue what you believe with such eloquence and knowledge of background information, it's kind of eye-opening how seductive that can be, and how easily that can lead a person to hunkering down on their position, because the mountain of evidence for their side is so obvious and strong.

There are valid points made on these shows, so I don't think they're bad for America, but I worry that Americans themselves could be sucked into an echo chamber.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ted Koppel comes from an old school where reporters distributed facts, rather than opinions no matter how hard it was to say. Hannity is just your average assclown with a big mouth and as much credibility as your average Facebook wall.

It's hypocritical that Koppel says that about Hannity while the later actually allows people with different views on his show. Koppel was accused for decades by liberal and non-government groups of favoring conservative ex-government officials and policymakers on his show.

http://fair.org/media-beat-column/ted-koppel/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Ted Koppel comes from an old school where reporters distributed facts, rather than opinions no matter how hard it was to say.
    In Manufacturing Consent, Herman and Chomsky point to shows like Nightline under Koppel as primary distributors of government propaganda that eschew political views that don't fit neatly into Beltway partisanship. Praising him as some sort of legitimate, honest reporter ignores how he ran his show and how he only presented the government approved view of policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    It's hypocritical that Koppel says that about Hannity while the later actually allows people with different views on his show. Koppel was accused for decades by liberal and non-government groups of favoring conservative ex-government officials and policymakers on his show.

http://fair.org/media-beat-column/ted-koppel/

- - - Updated - - -

In Manufacturing Consent, Herman and Chomsky point to shows like Nightline under Koppel as primary distributors of government propaganda that eschew political views that don't fit neatly into Beltway partisanship. Praising him as some sort of legitimate, honest reporter ignores how he ran his show and how he only presented the government approved view of policy.
    There's vague allegations of favoritism. Then there's the ALL RED MEAT HANNITY BLOOD LUST HOUR.