Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Got a usable sword mounted on the wall and a gun in a lock box in a drawer.

I like that people assume a locked door means you're safe, or that you'd hear someone come in.

Most child abductions are through an unlocked or open window. Not the door.

We have a security system that has devices on every door that goes into the house (front, back, garage) and a device on every window, so if one slides open it triggers the alarm. We also have a glass break detector and a motion sensor, so we keep those off until we go to bed and can set the alarm from our phone. Once those are active, any glass breaking sound will trigger it, and the motion sensor will go off with any motion larger than say, a 30 pound dog. You can bypass any alarm you want throughout the day, using either a code you've set up on the alarm system itself.

I cannot tell you how much peace of mind that gives. Also our son who was 3 at the time and could open doors, once opened the front door (he unlocked the dead bolt and the handle) and due to the alarm system he came back in the house to find us. Cops did come and suggested getting a higher deadbolt child safety lock so even if he unlocks the regular deadbolt, he wouldn't be able to open the door.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by Nasukkin View Post
    To all the people who say that they have door locks... well, do you also have blast-resistant windows? Because as my burglar proved, even the smallest window is as good as an open door. One brick and they were able to get through an 18" window frame.
    Nope, but I figure some other factors make that unnecessary for me. Unless....You know someone who can throw a brick 5 stories high. Then I'll be scared, but only if they also can utilize the now broken window 5 stories up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

2 Chihuahuas, 1 Crippled old border collie, 1 very nasty cat

Oh and my gun if they get past all of those above!

Ahhh security systems. The theft deterrent, that doesn't really do anything besides make noise or limit the time the thief has in your home. Hopefully the camera catches their face and the police work fast enough to catch the guy before he offloads your goods. But for the most part even with a system you are going to get robbed, they are going to get your stuff, and unless a cop is really close, they are probably going to get away long enough to get rid of your shit.

Really isn't a way to stop theft outside being there, having a large mean ass dog, or getting really lucky with your system, police response time etc. People rob banks, so think about that, when you think about your home security.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    she almost looks like she gives a fuck.
    Looks like Jay, on his couch, at the hour of the wolf, waiting for the burglars, ready to take them all.... at the same time....

Okay I think I might have gone too far....
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

9mm hollow points for when the locks are picked, busted or doors kicked in. I live in a quiet and safe neighborhood too. But I'm not delusional enough to think that locked doors and windows will deters criminals. Crime happens anywhere - even in so called safe neighborhoods which usually means higher income which means more valuables worth stealing.

The majority of doors are not burglar proof nor are the locks you can buy at any retail store. Even deadbolts are nothing to a pick or immune to a well placed kick. Unless you properly beef up the door and jam it's a minor setback. Security systems are a joke as well. It takes 20-30 minutes on average for the police to respond to an actual phone call by you. So you're relying on some company to get them there even faster because they detected an alarm signal which the police know are often false alarms? You're valuables will be gone or you'll be dead long before help arrives.

For those situations where you're not home - homeowners/renters insurance is the best protection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a deadbolt lock on the door to my apartment, and a fancy looking door handle with a keypad PIN lock that doesn't work because I just found it laying around in my mom's garage. Oh and I live on the third floor - Pretty hard to get to without being noticed.

Also since I live in a condo, we have security cameras at all the entrances, and the door is locked via key fob. And our parkade has cameras covering every inch of the place.

Sometime this year (pending how the quotes turn out) we're going to be upgrading the security system to include cameras monitoring all of the public/common areas too.

Quote Originally Posted by alzoron View Post
    I've found not having anything worth stealing, or at least nothing that looks like it's worth stealing serves as a pretty good security system.
    Also this.
    Last edited by Forgettable; 2017-03-27 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    None. I've never locked my door my whole entire life.
    two rottweillers, an m-9 and an operator with experience shooting bad guys in shitty countries.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Nope, but I figure some other factors make that unnecessary for me. Unless....You know someone who can throw a brick 5 stories high. Then I'll be scared, but only if they also can utilize the now broken window 5 stories up.
    I remember listening to a Defcon 18 lecture about an engineer who thought that about his window; he was proven wrong. It was an interesting lecture! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4oB28ksiIo

10+ Year Old Account
    Regular locks... and a 7 foot Russian that is home 90% of the time...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    i have a door.
    with a lock.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Looks like Jay, on his couch, at the hour of the wolf, waiting for the burglars, ready to take them all.... at the same time....

Okay I think I might have gone too far....
    just missing a can of beer in her paw.

Deleted
    The door magically locks itself when closed. I've learned to like that feature!
    After having a self locking door for nearly 10 years, it took me a while to get used to having to lock the door myself every night, very uncivilized way of doing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    Ahhh security systems. The theft deterrent, that doesn't really do anything besides make noise or limit the time the thief has in your home. Hopefully the camera catches their face and the police work fast enough to catch the guy before he offloads your goods. But for the most part even with a system you are going to get robbed, they are going to get your stuff, and unless a cop is really close, they are probably going to get away long enough to get rid of your shit.

Really isn't a way to stop theft outside being there, having a large mean ass dog, or getting really lucky with your system, police response time etc. People rob banks, so think about that, when you think about your home security.
    If our alarm system goes off (and we have triggered it many times by accident) we have about 10 seconds to shut it off and cancel the alarm before we get a person getting on to talk to us and we have to give them a verbal password for them to cancel the alarm and stop the cops from coming. They will (and have) come because our alarm went off.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

I have a door and a lock on it, plus I don't live on the ground floor.

Nobody who is still right in his mind would break into my apartment. There are a bazillion easier targets around me.

Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    Dogs, shotguns, and a .357 magnum

I love living in a Stand Your Ground state.
    Home invasions are not subject to the states laws with a duty to retreat. If you're in your home and someone breaks in you don't need a stand your ground law to shoot them.
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

An alarm that when activated alerts an Apache AH-64 pilot who flies to my house and destroys it with the intruders and me inside. Those pesky burglars will think twice about messing with my and my Apaches AGM-114 Hellfire missiles!

15+ Year Old Account
    The door magically locks itself when closed. I've learned to like that feature!
    .......I have never lived in an apartment or a house where there wasn't a "magically self locking" door.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    If our alarm system goes off (and we have triggered it many times by accident) we have about 10 seconds to shut it off and cancel the alarm before we get a person getting on to talk to us and we have to give them a verbal password for them to cancel the alarm and stop the cops from coming. They will (and have) come because our alarm went off.
    You missed the point. Alarms are only a minor deterent. Unless the cops are already close the thieves will have at least 20 minutes to steal your stuff and be long gone before the cops arrive. Frequent false alarms can also lead to hefty fines and it's like the boy who cried wolf. The cops will still come but they're unlkely to come very quickly to something that's likely a false alarm.