Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I just assume every home in America has someone with a gun. Canada different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasukkin View Post
    I remember listening to a Defcon 18 lecture about an engineer who thought that about his window; he was proven wrong. It was an interesting lecture! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4oB28ksiIo
    But he says they broke his door, only that they had gotten to the second floor by some window in the building, probably some antique fire-escape thing.

No such thing in this building, as all windows are that of someones apartment, and apart from using ladder on first floor apartments, no way someone could get to the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    .......I have never lived in an apartment or a house where there wasn't a "magically self locking" door.
    That's the whole joke of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Three fairly sized dogs. Locks do no good where I live, but dogs have kept us safe for years. I think our house is one of the few in the neighbourhood that hasn't been burglarised yet, though they tried a couple of times.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    The alarm system is not really to catch the thief, but to let you know that someone came in so you don't leave your home in a problematic situation.

You can loose far more money from the damage caused by the burglary (frozen pipes in the winter for example), then whatever someone can leave with, unless you are dumb enough to leave cash and jewelry somewhere in your home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I just assume every home in America has someone with a gun. Canada different story.
    Way to stereotype. Only around 45% of US homes have a firearm. Don't forget - we have a huge portion of liberals which you're welcome to in Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

If I owned my own home I would have three pets. Two dogs named Smith and Wesson, and a Parrot named Mossberg.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikah View Post
    The alarm system is not really to catch the thief, but to let you know that someone came in so you don't leave your home in a problematic situation.

You can loose far more money from the damage caused by the burglary (frozen pipes in the winter for example), then whatever someone can leave with, unless you are dumb enough to leave cash and jewelry somewhere in your home.
    So you're paying for a system and company to tell you someone broke in and stole your stuff? Good if you're blind I guess. Everyone else will notice the busted door and missing property.
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Way to stereotype. Only around 45% of US homes have a firearm. Don't forget - we have a huge portion of liberals which you're welcome to in Canada.
    thats 700 million guns in homes.

Decent locks, a dog and a sturdy wooden bat.

You're about 375 million firearms too high.
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    none. I rarely lock my door.

I have a club and a baseball bat.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

15+ Year Old Account
    Couple of years ago some junkies had broken into my car. They had tried to open the driver side door with a crowbar - failed but broke the door and lock.

Then they broke the rear window (the car was a hatchback). Crawled in and stole my 10 year old navigator, which was probably worth like 20 euros. They took nothing else, there wasn't much to take though - some CD's, first aid kit, a pack of mints, flashlight...etc..

That rear window and door cost the insurance company a bit over 1000 euros to fix, I had to pay like 150e of it. So then I was forced to drive without a rear window for a week during winter, that was interesting - especially when I had to take a trip to the other side of the country. It was an icy 400km drive in -15c without a rear window.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Narrow minded and prejudice. Growing up we never locked our door, then I moved to the city and I kept my door locked, like everyone does in Canadian cities. Even in cities there are places where it's very safe.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I have a club and a baseball bat.

Love your avatar, reminds me of instructions for Dihydrogen Monoxide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Narrow minded and prejudice. Growing up we never locked our door, then I moved to the city and I kept my door locked, like everyone does in Canadian cities. Even in cities there are places where it's very safe.
    not true at all. According to me, the newfie.

Is your calculator broken or am I missing something? There aren't even 700 million people in the US. There are only about 318 million people in the US in about 125 million households. 45% of those households have a firearm which means at least 56 million firearms - obviously some households have more than one but how about we not paint the entire US as gun nuts?

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    So you're paying for a system and company to tell you someone broke in and stole your stuff? Good if you're blind I guess. Everyone else will notice the busted door and missing property.
    I doubt someone will actually come in a property busting through the front door. Most likely through a back door or window that no one would notice. And if that happens while you are away on vacation or something, yes, that can do a lot of damage. 2 minutes of a water pipe bursting costs me $14k last year.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is your calculator broken or am I missing something? There aren't even 700 million people in the US. There are only about 318 million people in the US in about 125 million households. 45% of those households have a firearm which means at least 56 million firearms - obviously some households have more than one but how about we not paint the entire US as gun nuts?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estima...ita_by_country
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    2 dogs.
    1 gun.