Poll: Are you happy flying is back?

Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Flight paths are just slow loading screens. They should be removed entirely in lieu of a waypoint system.

And simply finalizing the unlock of flying via pathfinder doesn't remove the argument at all, because it doesn't solve anything. Look at this thread alone: People are still defending their ground gameplay and the other side is still defending flying. All pathfinder did was delay the argument a little without actually solving anything.

This is why Blizzard needs to come up with a better solution than simply flipping the flight switch on or off.
    Flightpaths are fine, honestly; perfect way to travel when you need to AFK for whatever reason.

Then again, with a waypoint system, you simply insta-port to whatever waypoint then just have your character sit and /afk after however long it takes, so I suppose that works a bit better if you only have to step away for 10 seconds or so.

Then that is a fundamental flaw of designing areas that ignore that flight exists instead of making zones that USE flying. If you're mad about that, be mad at the zone design, not at flying.
    If you get flying you can skip everything.. no zone redesign can change that. Sure they can make places only accessible with flying mount, but you can still just fly over those zones directly to your wq . I get why people don't like running the same path for their wq every time. But that is because non-flying design is flawed and needs improvement. Personally I kinda like to feel a bit vulnerable when running around with my mount, so when there are huge elite mobs you have to sneak by and watch out for it. Now there are too many lashers with 1HP that are just annoying. There are many ways to make non-flying more appealing than it is now, but even without it it's more fun than just flying from A to B.

I also don't get the argument ppl have saying "if you don't like flying just use your ground mount". Thing is if we get flying everyone is gonna fly and stuff will even be designed for it so you can't use your ground mount. If they make flying available very few, if any players will use ground mount because it will set you back compared to other players so no one will use ground mount. Wow is supposed to be a social/roleplay game after all so people are gonna follow the rules of the game and do what other people do.
    Last edited by barackohmama; 2017-03-27 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Sigh. People connect your braincells before typing silly stuff like this. We HAD FLIGHT for eight years. The game didn't fail and in fact grew, producting expansions that most people liked a lot. Equating it to boss loot mailed to you is just shit logic. Try harder.
    I even admitted it was exaggerations..guess you missed that along with my point.

Quote Originally Posted by hunten View Post
    Then don't fly, simple as that. If you enjoy the game without it just don't use the feature, why ruin the game for the rest of us who hate not having it? We could both be happy is all I am saying.
    Because it changes the entire dynamic of the game, it opens up things like drop in ganking, trivializes questing and feeds the instant gratification of current society.

Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    I'm glad it's back. Parts of Legion have these really annoyingly shaped hills that you can roll down and take fall-damage multiple times in rapid succession if you're on a mount. Going from Prepfoot in High Mountain to the Kirin Tor WQ down on the beach is a good example. Going down towards the Cove of Nashal for the pet battle WQ in Stormheim is another.

I use my kite a ton while doing world quests and it's been irritating ever since they nerfed the CD on it. Being able to fly to WQs will be wonderful and save me time. Which matters to me when you have as limited play time as I do.
    This basically, the whistle is awesome and all but as I'm pretty casual this Xpac (as in no specific time for a serious raid schedule) I play 3 toons at about the same pace, so doing about 75 WQs a week (grind a little AP/resources, good stat gear hoping for high TF etc) takes a LONG time with the terrain in some (basically every single one actually, maybe minus Val'Sharah). So being able to fly will be nice. I will say though I much prefer the exclusivity of ground mounts, there's so many that either aren't available anymore or are hard to get. Outside of Glad mounts there's not too many exclusive flying ones. But then again I won't see as many people when I'm up in the air xD.

Quote Originally Posted by effs View Post
    You're right, there will always be an argument since there are people on both sides. This is why there will never be a solid solution (can't please everyone). This is what we have now, so get on with it. Submit your feedback and let's see if they listen.
    Except there's already been a solution: The previous expansions before WoD.

Think about it: Some areas with flying, other areas without. And most of the progression areas were no-flying, pleasing the players who want that experience, but also being a good compromise to soothe Blizzard's ego. All they really need to do is clean up that formula with some world scaling, and make areas of both flying and non-flying with current relevance.

Instead Blizzard keeps getting stuck on this all-or-nothing mindset. It's stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    I for one am very happy I'll be able to fly again. But if they hadn't brought it back I wouldn't pitch a fit either. Going to be spending a lot of time helping a guildie, who (because of health reasons) is only about 1/2 through Pathfinder part one. I feel really really bad for her, she was crying because she feels she's too far behind, but we shall prevail and she'll be flying the friendly skies again. I'm also happy because I can fly on the mount our guild leader bought for me. She passed away 2 weeks ago and our tiny guild has been pretty bummed. So I shall fly in her honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Well there was never a problem for better part of a decade until the b team took over for WoW development
    Pretty much this.

I was open to the idea of a WoW that didn't use flight. There was the possibility that it was going to bring us a better game. But it didn't. All it did was bring us the same stuff without flying. The formula used for the open world before WoD was fine. All they needed to do was add world quests and level scaling to it and it would have been far superior to what we got.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Flightpaths are fine, honestly; perfect way to travel when you need to AFK for whatever reason.

Then again, with a waypoint system, you simply insta-port to whatever waypoint then just have your character sit and /afk after however long it takes, so I suppose that works a bit better if you only have to step away for 10 seconds or so.
    You gave the answer I was going to. At least with a waypoint system the duration of your AFK is determined by the player instead of the flight path. Waypoints wouldn't take you to a dangerous spot where you could be attacked(well, maybe on a PVP server). But even flight paths are in the middle of friendly territory, surrounded by guards.

happy but mainly because the Broken Isles are horrific for land travel. So many cliffs, hills and mountains, goddamn. World Quests will actually be fun for me now that I know I don't have to flail through a maze of a zone in order to get to each one.

Indifferent.

False. Many modern MMOs have recognized that allowing players to conveniently get to the content they want to play is actually advantageous and enjoyable for the player. Hense fast-travel systems.
    I have a preference for fast travel systems over flight unless the world requires flight to get anywhere. It is sad Blizzard has not done much to give more purpose to flight beyond just time savings. Than again there are people who bitch when devs do.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Happy

I don't really care for flying but It's a nice addition to smooth out the grind

I play a lot and I've thoroughly explored and exhausted the zones so having flying makes It easy

I enjoy playing on foot but think 7.2 was a good time to introduce flying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    People so addicted that they're actually angry at Blizzard for WoW getting old >.< Insulting WoW because your tired of it is like hating your dad because he's older than you and not as fun as your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by barackohmama View Post
    If you get flying you can skip everything.. no zone redesign can change that. Sure they can make places only accessible with flying mount, but you can still just fly over those zones directly to your wq
    This is actually not true at all. There are LOTS of ways to make flying dangerous, or ways to make players consider where they're going instead of just ignoring everything. We've already seen examples of this sort of thing with Kaliri birds and flak canons in TBC. There are NPCs with harpoons to drag players in, ranged enemies as well. And that doesn't even consider using environmental effects like heavy tree cover, fog, or winds to push flying players in different directions.

The only reason people keep saying that flying ruins everything is because they aren't thinking beyond the box that Blizzard put them in. You say there are many ways to make non-flying more appealing, and I agree. But the EXACT SAME THING applies to flying as well.

Quote Originally Posted by barackohmama View Post
    I also don't get the argument ppl have saying "if you don't like flying just use your ground mount". Thing is if we get flying everyone is gonna fly and stuff will even be designed for it so you can't use your ground mount. If they make flying available very few, if any players will use ground mount because it will set you back compared to other players so no one will use ground mount. Wow is supposed to be a social/roleplay game after all so people are gonna follow the rules of the game and do what other people do.
    Your progress is already different from everyone else. Stop worrying about what other people are doing. Do you complain that Mythic raiders shouldn't be able to raid because it puts them too far ahead of LFR raiders? Do you try to argue that it's not fair that some people can play 16 hours a day while you can only log on for 2? Who cares if someone ELSE is flying. Just do your own thing and play how you want. If that means using a ground mount because you like how the game plays that way, then do it. Stop trying to force everyone to play the same way as you!

Overall, I'm pretty happy. Some world quests were time-consuming to get to, which made them less attractive as far as content went. Now, I can hop on my flying robot chicken or whatever, and relentlessly cull falcosaurs until the Wardens finally decide to turn to more pressing matters.
    Last edited by Hotmail; 2017-03-27 at 11:01 PM.

happy i'm being forced to jump through hoops for shit i already paid for?

there was never a legitimate argument against flying, and there never will be. pathfinder is just hozzikostas' pettiness and spitefulness that he didn't get his way in WoD.

Deleted
    I'm really happy, finally i can stop walking into every fucking tree and roots there is on the Broken Isles.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post

there was never a legitimate argument against flying, and there never will be. pathfinder is just hozzikostas' pettiness and spitefulness that he didn't get his way in WoD.

Technically you didn't pay for it, it was never announced as a perk in this expac!

Pretty indifferent now. I despise that it's locked behind achievements (I don't care for achievements to begin with), and I've just gotten used to being grounded. The flight masters whistle was a great addition, if only it was 3min instead of 5, I wouldn't care at all. The only real reason I want flying now is to get better screenshots for wallpapers and such.

10+ Year Old Account
    people are still going to complain "OH ITS GOING TO TAKE FOREVER TO UNLOCK ITS NOT FAIR"
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Yeah, but after a..what? 4000 post thread on flying vs no flying - I feel understand both sides. They are just inconsolable. But I feel / think there are also a good deal of people who are not extremists to either side and make the best of what the game offers....
    Sure. My point is that I can't take seriously anyone (on either side) who states an opinion without supporting logic or evidence. "Flying sucks" is fine as an opinion... but sucks as an argument. Same for "Flying is the best!".

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post

Flying at launch is a feature that has been unavailable since WoD, so you knew you weren't paying for flight when you bought Legion. Whatever are you on about?

Edit: Eh, MMOC beat me to it.