Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    IF you have a tank that can solo-tank the boss, there is really no point whatsoever in bringing a second tank. The DPS that a second tank brings over a 4th healer is almost neglectable considering the dps-checks you want to achieve. If you can cut a tank, do it. I hope your roster has a druid or monk.

So why bring 4 healers instead of 3?
    This is not a question of necessity, but rather of progression speed. You do not really *need* a 4th healer, but it will prevent a very significant amount of deaths from icy/fel ejections and therefore wipes. We realized after killing it that 1xx wipes to the boss made our healing so efficient that we could have easily cut the 4th healer after progression ended, but when progressing the boss started we initially had issues with people dying to any of the dots.
    So what adding a 4th healer does is taking a lot of risk out of the progression equation, obviously. It also deletes the time your healers need to learn the fight before you can actually progress a phase dps-wise. You just overheal it.

So when considering how to get 15 DPS into the little room, I would recommend 4 healers and 1 tank. That requies a good tank though. When you can 3 heal it, the only reason to bring a second tank is because your tank isnt capable of solo-tanking the boss.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, the whole check of the boss is basically getting to the last phase and living through it. If you can get past the second add (most kill it) with everybody up, the boss is probably going to die. We haven't killed it yet but had our first several wipes sub 10% the other night, so naturally we believe a kill is probably within reach on the next raid night.

We bounced the idea around of adding a second tank, but all that would do is increase DPS a bit, and marginally make healing a bit easier, but not as easy as what a fourth healer would bring. I don't think this composition makes sense at least for us it didn't. We hit the third conjunction in the frost phase with 1 tank and 4 healer when the boss is around ~63%, with another tank we would be close, but honestly I don't think we would have the DPS to be consistent in pushing before the third conjunction.

A lot of our deaths during progression have simply been the third frost conjunction with the icy injections going out prior. It's just a lot of damage and for all intent and purpose a cluster fuck.

That said a lot of compositions work, but I think 1 tank and 4 heal is probably the most consistent for progression unless your DPS can hit certain benchmarks. I don't really see the point in a 2 tank 3 heal composition, or a 1 tank 3 heal composition killing the second add in the last phase at all for instance, nor do I see a point in those compositions if you can't skip the third conjunction in the frost phase. If you can it's probably worth doing that composition. Obviously with all that said, most guilds probably want the DPS to also skip the third conjunction in the fel phase, as doing that correctly (and likely the third fel nova) makes the fel phase monumentally harder.

We just went with four because it made our frost phases safer, it makes the last phase safer and it allows our tank (solo) to be really aggressive clearing in the fel phase.

TLDR; Still lots of ways to do it, but you should really look at how high your DPS is for each phase and what you're going to do in the last phase. If you're going to go with a more DPS oriented comp, I'd probably recommend not making the last phase go the entire time, nor would I want to deal with extra conjunctions in the previous phases. I realize a lot of guilds kill two adds now (we do), but if you have a really good execute comp (warriors, shadow priests and affliction locks) I think that nuking the first and burning the add is still viable.

So with the nerfs, is it worth it to just vantus rune and go right at him now? We were getting into Fel before, but had only really spent a night on him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewtoy View Post
    So with the nerfs, is it worth it to just vantus rune and go right at him now? We were getting into Fel before, but had only really spent a night on him.
    Have you killed all the other bosses? If not, Starboi is still a lot harder, even DPS-wise.

I was getting trucked by the comets in icy phase as a bear.

Can some one walk me trough how exactly, those line up.

Because i reset on 1st frigid nova and after that i cannot for the love of me figure out my stacks.
    Blizz ui nor WA's help me at all i'm just blind or something idk.

Why is it that Blizzard breaks every addon that does something the game should do by default ? Why can´t we have an indicator of whos got what color, Blizzard is absolutly atrocious with visual comunication of skills on this game, are fights suposed to kill ppl because they can´t see shit trough Blizzard´s horrible UI ?
    Last edited by DakonBlackblade; 2017-03-27 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DakonBlackblade View Post
    Why is it that Blizzard breaks every addon that does something the game should do by default ? Why can´t we have an indicator of whos got what coor, Blizzard is absolutly atrcious with visual comunication of skills on this game, are fights suposed to kill ppl because they can´t see shit trough Blizzard´s horrible UI ?
    The game does show it though. Like, just look above peoples heads you have a LOT of time. Our one colorblind member just stands in a specific quadrant so unless a quarter of your raid is chromatically colorblind i'm unsure what to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Drish View Post
    The game does show it though. Like, just look above peoples heads you have a LOT of time. Our one colorblind member just stands in a specific quadrant so unless a quarter of your raid is chromatically colorblind i'm unsure what to tell you.
    The game shows us with a faint outline specifically designed to be hard ot see, if that wasn't the case ppl wouldnt be using an addon that makes it way more evident. They want to make ppl die due to them not being able to clearly see whos got what color not because they didn't know how to execute the mechanics. Its the same with distance displays, they want ppl to die because they couldn't accuratly judge if they were 10 yards away from someone or not, not because they can't execute the mechanic. Every other MMO on the market have good visual indicators, Blizzard is still trying its best to make things as hard to notice as possible.

Deleted
    geeg
    The Nighthold
    Star Augur Etraeus
    The duration of all Star Sign debuffs has been increased to 15 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesmarcus View Post
    geeg
    The Nighthold
    Star Augur Etraeus
    The duration of all Star Sign debuffs has been increased to 15 seconds.
    Disappointing. Nerfing health to make it 4 heal/2 tankable is one thing, but this trivializes the most fun & interesting mechanic I've seen this expansion.
    Last edited by Toybox; 2017-03-27 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    Disappointing. Turns the fight from the best this expansion & one of the best I've ever seen to a bit of a joke.
    it's because a lot of people are using an addon/weak aura to currently deal with it, and in 7.2 this won't work anymore, so they're nerfing the fight and removing the addon so people can't complain it used to be easier because of an addon, now you have 15 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    it's because a lot of people are using an addon/weak aura to currently deal with it, and in 7.2 this won't work anymore, so they're nerfing the fight and removing the addon so people can't complain it used to be easier because of an addon, now you have 15 seconds.
    Overkill to say the least. I didn't use the addon/weakaura & never triggered a single trine en route to our first kill.

The game shows us with a faint outline specifically designed to be hard ot see, if that wasn't the case ppl wouldnt be using an addon that makes it way more evident. They want to make ppl die due to them not being able to clearly see whos got what color not because they didn't know how to execute the mechanics. Its the same with distance displays, they want ppl to die because they couldn't accuratly judge if they were 10 yards away from someone or not, not because they can't execute the mechanic. Every other MMO on the market have good visual indicators, Blizzard is still trying its best to make things as hard to notice as possible.
    Man you might want to go get your eyes checked if the icons are "faint and hard to see". There's one reason and one reason only people use the weakaura; Simplicity. Instead of 4x colors to keep track of on the biggest conjunctions, there's two - either Red (DON'T HIT) or Green (GO GO GO). You don't have to react to being yellow, or green, or red, or blue, then find someone of the same color - your color is irrelevant, because anyone colored green is your partner. It removes a crucial steps from the decision making process - something we now get 5 seconds to make up for.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Man you might want to go get your eyes checked if the icons are "faint and hard to see". There's one reason and one reason only people use the weakaura; Simplicity. Instead of 4x colors to keep track of on the biggest conjunctions, there's two - either Red (DON'T HIT) or Green (GO GO GO). You don't have to react to being yellow, or green, or red, or blue, then find someone of the same color - your color is irrelevant, because anyone colored green is your partner. It removes a crucial steps from the decision making process - something we now get 5 seconds to make up for.
    This. I have nothing to add but agree with everything Draco said (and I hate it when I do this).

If they didn't add five seconds, they would be buffing a fight that people have on farm, which they very rarely do.

People used addons to draw optimal lines where you should run, which may have prompted the removal more than other 'abuses'. The marks themselves are fairly clear on default, even if the customized plates were clearer
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    Overkill to say the least. I didn't use the addon/weakaura & never triggered a single trine en route to our first kill.
    Nothing that makes a mechanic easier to deal with is overkill, and just because you never failed doesn't mean it couldn't've been made better. The WeakAura hides every star sign that doesn't match yours and super emphasises those that do. It's infinitely better.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

The increase is probably just because of the nameplate change going live tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Many people used a weak aura that put an icon of the debuff on nameplates, not just a red or green marker. Despite your perfect vision it was hard to see for many other people.

Holy fuck the slow-mo heroic leap at the end had me crying

- - - Updated - - -

And as far as no nameplates screwing people that haven't progressed past this boss yet..
    its more so going to screw the people that have progressed past this boss and ONLY know how to kill it that way...

They will have 15 seconds to find the only other person now since the other people who don't have a problem will match up