Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Manufacturing cost in Germany can't be cheaper than in the US.
    I'm not saying they are or aren't, but why couldn't they be? You don't think Germany has automation?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Or have we as a nation fallen that far behind in term of advanced manufacturing?
    Yes, although to be fair, falling behind Germany and Japan is like losing a race to Usain Bolt. It'd be a warning sign if we were worse than, say, Mexico.

In the US the big automotive competitor is Japan, not Germany.

Lexus and Toyota always wins the top spots in automotive reviews, well almost always. Germany is usually second, but not always. US cars have been doing better and better, Buick and Tesla are two high quality US brands.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Just going to mention all of the crap that people in the US have to deal with that are unthinkable in Europe like lead in water ( brown water in general) or other crap that are used in every day products that are banned in Europe.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-in-its-bread

Regulations in Europe are much stricter across the board, only difference is that our companies know not to bitch about it every day.

Ofc if you want to compete with safety regulations and with wages with countries like China and India then be prepared for long hours, smog and potential suicide because the ratio working conditions and salary.
    I apparently need to work harder on sarcasm, or deal with people not reading half the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    In the US the big automotive competitor is Japan, not Germany.

Lexus and Toyota always wins the top spots in automotive reviews, well almost always. Germany is usually second, but not always. US cars have been doing better and better, Buick and Tesla are two high quality US brands.
    Tesla is still a niche brand. And Germany car manufacturers are pouring billions and billions into research these years.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    I would guess becuase american made... anything is usually of poor quality.
    The biggest problem is mass production. They aren't making cars for individuals, they are making them for the market and hoping they sell. And another point on this is that for the last 20-30 years, car companies are not revamping their production and changing over product lines to better components. The average life span of a manufacturing line for a single component is upwards of 10 years. And that's running 3 years straight of making spares, so usually the volume drops off after 7 years and a new component replaces it within a year or two of starting production. GM has been making the same V6 heads for almost 10 years and just recently ended the entire project. That's 10 fucking years of the same shitty engine that they have been having problems with since day one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    Because German engineering > US engineering when it comes to cars.
    you go on and think that until you have to put a coolant flange on the back of an engine and put the screws in by feel and torque em down with a tiny ass lil allen wrench lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    I apparently need to work harder on sarcasm, or deal with people not reading half the post.
    You need sarcasm in the first three words. Most posters will read like half a sentence, assume the rest, and go off on you from there :P
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We need an official sarcasm font.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wish cars were that cheap here but you couldn't even consider donating away a 2006 BMW unless you are a millionaire.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    I wish cars were that cheap here but you couldn't even consider donating away a 2006 BMW unless you are a millionaire.
    Says the dude from the country where they wreck cars on weekends for family fun. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Says the dude from the country where they wreck cars on weekends for family fun. :P
    ...........what?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

...........what?
    Those crash derbies? I saw something about it on TV, you go to the place, buy a car for like 50 bucks, basically it got an engine that runs and that's it and then you crash it around the track until it's completely wrecked (or the race is over :P).

Deleted
    I thought the part about US soil itself driving up the cost made it clear

It was sarcasm, my dude. The main theme for why american manufacturing is gone is that "regulations and wages' won't let them be profitable.
    No, the main reason is because its quality is too low.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    That's some mighty large assumptions.
    Protip: German Workforce rules and regulations are far stricter than American. They also have much higher Quality when it comes to things like Cars and Engineering.
    Protip: Obvious sarcasm is sarcasm.

Ford has been in Germany since 1925, this isn't a recent development.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

Deleted
    We don't manufacture much in the US, mainly because those pesky "regulations" and "minimum wages" made it impossible to do it in the US.

Not in other countries with the same things in place, mind. Just.. you know. The soil of the US makes it harder to make a profit on. For... reasons.
    The minimum wages in Germany are around 5 dollars/hour higher than they are in the US. Minimum wages didn't make it impossible.

The reason why a lot of engines are made in Germany and Italy, is simply because they make them at a higher standard.

- - - Updated - - -

A 2006 BMW is perhaps worth 1k (if it's even that), regardless of the condition it's in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    The minimum wages in Germany are around 5 dollars/hour higher than they are in the US. Minimum wages didn't make it impossible.

The reason why a lot of engines are made in Germany and Italy, is simply because they make them at a higher standard.
    Read the other half, my dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post

- - - Updated - - -

A 2006 BMW is perhaps worth 1k (if it's even that), regardless of the condition it's in.
    We probably could get 3-4k trade in value. It does need a lot of work. My wife is a real estate broker, and she put 30k plus miles on that car in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Pretty sure German car workers are more expensive than US car workers.
    This has been a good test to see who doesn't read past one sentence, I see.

You do because what you wrote wasn't that much different from the avg right-wing poster that repeats Republican talking points.