Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Well, Canada might want to rethink their policy and learn from what's going on here in the US; As more Americans fail drug tests, employers turn to refugees

The refugees at Sterling come from all over the world, from Syria to Sudan, Chad to Bhutan. And they've all passed the company's standard drug test.

"In our lives, we don't have drugs," said Alzamel, who was hired within three months after arriving in Pennsylvania. "We don't even know what they look like or how to use them."
    But for an increasing number of American-born workers, passing drug tests is a big problem.
    The percentage of American workers testing positive for illegal drugs has climbed steadily over the last three years to its highest level in a decade, according to Quest Diagnostics, which performed more than 10 million employment drug screenings last year. The increase has been fueled in part by rural America's heroin epidemic and the legalization of recreational marijuana in states like Colorado.
    With roughly half of US employers screening for drugs, failed tests have real consequences for the economy.
    More than 9% of employees tested positive for one or more drugs in oral fluid screenings in 2015, the most recent year for which data was available. And the problem is even worse at places like Sterling Technologies.
    "Twenty percent of the people are failing," said Cary Quigley, the company's president. "We're seeing positive tests anywhere from marijuana through amphetamines, right all the way through crystal meth and heroin."

Nearly 6,000 refugees have settled in the last five years in Louisville, Kentucky, helping companies hire workers for jobs that had gone unfilled. Methamphetamine use is so high in Louisville that the number of people testing positive for meth in workplace drug tests is 47% higher than the national average, according to Quest Diagnostics.

One oil and trucking company in Colorado did random drug screening last year and flunked 80% of their employees, mostly for marijuana, Fay said. Colorado's Supreme Court has ruled that companies may fire employees who smoke pot, even if legally.
    "They had to replace everyone," she said. "The employer was glad he found the problem because his employees do extremely dangerous work. He was shocked and disturbed."

-----------------------

Perhaps Canada is in a rather roundabout way is promoting immigration in some way.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Well, Canada might want to rethink their policy and learn from what's going on here in the US; As more Americans fail drug tests, employers turn to refugees

The refugees at Sterling come from all over the world, from Syria to Sudan, Chad to Bhutan. And they've all passed the company's standard drug test.

"In our lives, we don't have drugs," said Alzamel, who was hired within three months after arriving in Pennsylvania. "We don't even know what they look like or how to use them."
    But for an increasing number of American-born workers, passing drug tests is a big problem.
    The percentage of American workers testing positive for illegal drugs has climbed steadily over the last three years to its highest level in a decade, according to Quest Diagnostics, which performed more than 10 million employment drug screenings last year. The increase has been fueled in part by rural America's heroin epidemic and the legalization of recreational marijuana in states like Colorado.
    With roughly half of US employers screening for drugs, failed tests have real consequences for the economy.
    More than 9% of employees tested positive for one or more drugs in oral fluid screenings in 2015, the most recent year for which data was available. And the problem is even worse at places like Sterling Technologies.
    "Twenty percent of the people are failing," said Cary Quigley, the company's president. "We're seeing positive tests anywhere from marijuana through amphetamines, right all the way through crystal meth and heroin."

Nearly 6,000 refugees have settled in the last five years in Louisville, Kentucky, helping companies hire workers for jobs that had gone unfilled. Methamphetamine use is so high in Louisville that the number of people testing positive for meth in workplace drug tests is 47% higher than the national average, according to Quest Diagnostics.

One oil and trucking company in Colorado did random drug screening last year and flunked 80% of their employees, mostly for marijuana, Fay said. Colorado's Supreme Court has ruled that companies may fire employees who smoke pot, even if legally.
    "They had to replace everyone," she said. "The employer was glad he found the problem because his employees do extremely dangerous work. He was shocked and disturbed."

-----------------------

Perhaps Canada is in a rather roundabout way is promoting immigration in some way.
    Drug tests are illegal in most parts of the country so thats a non-issue.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Up to the Canadians on this issue. But I only support legalizing weed for medical use. And allow every individual to grow just the amount a single person would be expected to use in a year for their own medical reason which would be justified by a prescription from their doctor. As of now, a person here can grow a small amount of tobacco and make enough beer or wine for their own use, but can not sell it. So sort of like it is for those substances.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Drug tests are illegal in most parts of the country so thats a non-issue.
    *shrugs*
    I should hope you took more away from the article than "drug tests."

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    *shrugs*
    I should hope you took more away from the article than "drug tests."
    Why should I care that American employers aren't hiring Americans based on what they do in their free time?

It's idiotic that marijuana is illegal in the first place. The lack of logical consistency on what should be legal, versus illegal... is a testament to the hypocrisy of humans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Up to the Canadians on this issue. But I only support legalizing weed for medical use. And allow every individual to grow just the amount a single person would be expected to use in a year for their own medical reason which would be justified by a prescription from their doctor. As of now, a person here can grow a small amount of tobacco and make enough beer or wine for their own use, but can not sell it. So sort of like it is for those substances.
    Why should it only be for medicinal use? Why not legalize it for everyone, since it has been proven to be far safer than alcohol or cigarettes?

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Maybe people would chose it over harder drugs. Who needs meth when you can laugh at cartoons all day.
    I don't need marijuana or meth to watch One Punch Man.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    I don't need marijuana or meth to watch One Punch Man.
    I saw that on Netflix, is it good?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Why should I care that American employers aren't hiring Americans based on what they do in their free time?
    If you're not a businessman or politically involved in any way..I would think that you don't.
    Liability was an issue that was raised in the article that you so obviously didn't bother to read however...

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It's idiotic that marijuana is illegal in the first place. The lack of logical consistency on what should be legal, versus illegal... is a testament to the hypocrisy of humans.
    Your anarchist ideology is noted.

I saw that on Netflix, is it good?
    It's the best. I can't recommend it enough, and a second season is coming this summer.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

If you're not a businessman or politically involved in any way..I would think that you don't.
    Liability was an issue that was raised in the article that you so obviously didn't bother to read however...

It's not even anarchy, banning something that causes no harm to others is illogical. If you are going to ban marijuana, why would you keep alcohol and cigarettes legal?

-----------------------

I would like to see the breakdown on which drugs are being detected. Because it said 47% increase in meth detection. It also said "heroin epidemic" and then throws in Marijuana even though it's legalized in some states.

But if Marijuana wasn't illegal. Would people still fail their drug test? Would it be acceptable to have trace amounts when you can use it recreational like people do with alcohol?

10+ Year Old Account
    Good for them.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

About damn time or should i say aboot damn time lol

But seriously this war on this harmless plant shouldve ended 50 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    It's the best. I can't recommend it enough, and a second season is coming this summer.
    ever watched 7 deadly sins? I liked the first season, plan on watching s2 soon.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

I am quite politically involved. But I couldn't care less that American employers are not hiring American citizens over what they do in their free time. In Canada, mandatory drug tests are illegal in most cases, by Supreme Court ruling. Whether it's on the job, or part of the hiring process. You quoted an article and added the comment that Canada might be promoting immigration because of what's going on in the States. None of that will happen in Canada because it's a completely different scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by alucardtnuoc View Post
    I would like to see the breakdown on which drugs are being detected. Because it said 47% increase in meth detection. It also said "heroin epidemic" and then throws in Marijuana even though it's legalized in some states.

But if Marijuana wasn't illegal. Would people still fail their drug test? Would it be acceptable to have trace amounts when you can use it recreational like people do with alcohol?
    Someone I used to work with signed out material totaling nearly half a million dollars worth one morning and smoked a bone during break...and completely forgot what he signed out. He was fired.
    And were I a businessman, that's how I would have it as well.
    And if there's liability issues then even more so...

I don't play games at where the line is. You're either clean or unemployed.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I wonder if legalization happened in the US as a whole, how drastic of a change we would have in crime statistics.
    Crime would drop, tax generation would go up. It'd be a terrible situation, so you can see why there's so much resistance to it at the federal level.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Crime would drop, tax generation would go up. It'd be a terrible situation, so you can see why there's so much resistance to it at the federal level.
    That's just a guess...an opinion.
    My own...lawsuits would increase exponentially.

ever watched 7 deadly sins? I liked the first season, plan on watching s2 soon.
    Neg, I tend to stick to stuff that's safe to my tastes. OPM is actually outside of my safe zone, but I couldn't pass it up after all the rave reviews. I did wait for the entire season to end before I binge watched it though.