Poll: Is it acceptable to refuse this man service?

Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

NYC bar refuses service

Do you think it's acceptable to refuse service to someone, simply because they were wearing a "Make America Great Again!" hat?

http://nypost.com/2017/03/19/guy-wea...-to-serve-him/

Bartenders at a West Village hot spot served up discrimination — with a liberal twist — refusing to serve a customer because he was wearing a “Make America Great Again” hat, according to a lawsuit.

Greg Piatek, 30, an accountant from Philadelphia, claims he was snubbed and eventually 86’d by workers at The Happiest Hour on West 10th Street over his conservative fashion statement, popularized by Donald Trump on the campaign trail, he told The Post.

“Anyone who supports Trump — or believes what you believe — is not welcome here! And you need to leave right now because we won’t serve you!” Piatek claims he was told as he was shown the door by a manager.

The shake-up started when Piatek and two pals, after a visit to the 9/11 Memorial, ordered drinks at the posh tavern around 6:30 p.m. Jan. 28.

A female bartender served Piatek a $15 jalapeño margarita and his pals beers. But when he tried to order a second round, a male bartender noticed his hat — and skipped them, he said.

One of Piatek’s pals pointed out it was their turn to be served, but the bartender scoffed. “Is that hat a joke?” the Manhattan Supreme Court suit claims he said.

“Immediately it clicked,” Piatek said, adding that bartenders didn’t see the pro-Trump slogan until he turned his back to the bar.
    “Ignoring me because I’m wearing the hat is ridiculous,” Piatek said. “It’s really sad.”
    The “flustered” bartender got them a second round but allegedly “slammed the drinks down.”
    A third bartender also asked Piatek if his lid was a joke and shouted, “I can’t believe you would support someone so terrible and you must be as terrible a person!,” Piatek claimed.
    “I wasn’t even trying to order a drink and she said, ‘Don’t even try to order from me. I won’t get you a drink,’ ” Piatek alleged.
    A manager said he spoke to the bar owner, and was told, “Anyone who supports Trump or believes what you believe is not welcome here. And you need to leave right now because we won’t serve you!,” according to the suit.
    Bar owner Jon Neidich did not respond to calls. A manager at the bar refused to comment.
    Piatek’s lawyer Paul Liggieri called the incident “humiliating,” saying it was his client’s “saddest hour.”
    CPU: Intel i7 3770K Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V PRO GPU: 2X Asus GTX 770 OC SLI Heatsink: Hyper 212 EVO RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600mhz SSD: 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO HDD: WD 2tb Caviar Black PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: CM HAF 932 Advanced

Racial discrimination

Are people that wear ugly hats a protected class?

liberals claim to be open minded and accepting but that only lasts until you have an opinion different from theirs. Thing is when you call them out on it they'll come out of the woodwork to say "but republicans do it!!" Just like the liberals on the forum will do in this thread.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-03-28 at 04:33 PM.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    I read NYC bar and had a mini heart attack

third year of law school does that.

Deleted
    If they had any brain between their ears they could've just said that he violated the dress code.

Deleted
    Im not sure, whats the US laws on discriminating for political opinions or clothing? If its not against the law, go for it.

Sure, businesses should be able to serve or not serve whomever the hell they want.

That also extends to bakers not wanting to bake a cake for a gay wedding or other equally asinine decisions. People are also free to boycott establishments that make these choices.

However, in this age, people are easily offended and must take it to court. If that baker is forced to bake that cake, then these bartenders should be forced to serve conservatives.

All that being said, all of these people are assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    liberals claim to be open minded and accepting but that only lasts until you have an opinion different from theirs. Thing is when you call them out on it they'll come out of the woodwork to say "but republicans do it!!" Just like the liberals on the forum will do in this thread.
    Is this a pre-emptive deflection for all conservatives who have time and time again said, that business owners should be able to deny anyone they want, but will as a twist in this thread say it was wrong, as it was used against them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

If you're operating a business, you're job is to serve people in the function of that business. How the fuck does what a customer believes interfere with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Is this a pre-emptive deflection for all conservatives who have time and time again said, that business owners should be able to deny anyone they want, but will as a twist in this thread say it was wrong, as it was used against them?
    I'm actually not a conservative.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Doesn't any establishment have a right to refuse service to anyone they see fit? It's up to them to deal with the backlash or loss of clients for doing so.

Why is this a thread?

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Rule of the House
    And if you think liberal means "no limits on accepting stupid ideas", then sorry. No tolerance for intolerance.

I'm confused. Your headline and the headline of the article indicate that these people were refused service...

But the article notes that Bartender A served them a round, that Bartender B served them a round after initially ignoring them, and that there was even a 3rd Bartender (but they don't make it clear if he served them or outright refused to). So... from the article at least we know they had two rounds of drinks and were ultimately served each time, albeit with a bit of attitude.

Hard to argue you were refused service when there are receipts to show otherwise. Harder still to argue discrimination by an establishment when it was individual employees offering, at best, inconsistent service.

I'm actually not a conservative.
    That was not the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by lordsphinx View Post
    Do you think it's acceptable to refuse service to someone, simply because they were wearing a "Make America Great Again!" hat?

http://nypost.com/2017/03/19/guy-wea...-to-serve-him/
    They have the right to refuse, just like they could refuse someone with a pro-obama shirt.

Deleted
    I've seen women turned away for being fat, and black people turned away for being black. Obviously the doorstaff just say 'Sorry you can't come in'. But its fucking bait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by isuridedes View Post
    I'm confused. Your headline and the headline of the article indicate that these people were refused service...

But the article notes that Bartender A served them a round, that Bartender B served them a round after initially ignoring them, and that there was even a 3rd Bartender (but they don't make it clear if he served them or outright refused to). So... from the article at least we know they had two rounds of drinks and were ultimately served each time, albeit with a bit of attitude.

Hard to argue you were refused service when there are receipts to show otherwise. Harder still to argue discrimination by an establishment when it was individual employees offering, at best, inconsistent service.
    But, how else do articles get clicks other than an inflammatory title?

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Doesn't any establishment have a right to refuse service to anyone they see fit? It's up to them to deal with the backlash or loss of clients for doing so. Why is this a thread?
    Depends on State legislation and whether or not their refusal violates various federal laws. Dress codes can be reason for refusal to serve, unless the dress code is specifically against a group of people or is not applied unilaterally.

For example, you could have a dress code that stated: "No baseball caps of any kind" and so long as you don't allow ANYONE to wear a baseball cap (regardless of what is written on it) you're good. But "No MAGA baseball caps" might be considered discrimination.

Sue them. I'm a democratic liberal, but this kinda snowflake behavior is unacceptable. What's next? That bars will refuse people wearing a Tom Brady jersey? The hypocrisy of my tribe is sickening.

Guess what? Millions didn't like Obama but i never once saw anyone thrown out of an establishment, or service refused because he had an Obama hat on.

Either ALL intolerance is OK, or NONE of it is. If you truly believe that there is no tolerance for intolerance; then this man gets service without question. You can't have it both ways.