Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saberstrike View Post
    If you enjoy RBGs - more power to you, RBG until hell freezes over! -- But they were objectively not something WoW needed, or many players wanted. The whole idea of RBGs came about to filter out the premades from random BGs. And while it's a nice thought, I don't think RBGs were the answer. Something like personal BG rating would work much better.
    WTF IS THIS BS.

Im sorry.

Some people likes to do nothing but play for the lore, other people won't even touch PvE, others like pets and mounts and the 3rd is achievement hunter.

You represent the PERFECT example of, whats wrong with this community and no matter WHAT they do, this product will suck(and this will be the WoW killer - nothing else).

10+ Year Old Account
    2200 SV Hunter here- just wanted to reply to the guy talking about being an Unholy DK (and then brought SV into it)- saying something like you use a lot of non rotational abilities.

False.

If by non rotational you mean... honor talents? Which are ONLY active in PvP settings?
    Mentioned traps- caltrops and explosive are obviously used in pve nonstop but freezing is too- be it world content, 5 mans and even raids in some cases (currently 9/10 heroic nighthold)

I can say that while the talent spec is a bit different between pvp and pve- and pvp never has a "set rotation" like PvE does, there is definitely a set "priority" rotation feeling this season in arena.

Sure I don't net/poon to targets to freeze EVERY 24 seconds in PvE, but I do use all of my kit all of the time- don't try to make arena sound like some MLG level experience. It's PvE+

Deleted
    MoP in general was awful because it was another extreme entirely. Now we have dumb and boring 'nothing but damage' playstyle. MoP was largely 'nothing but cc' playstyle. Blizz is incapable of solving one problem without making another take it's place. CC was bad, wizards tankiness was bad, and casting on the move was bad. But 'remove it all and just give people more damage' wasn't really the solution.

Like yeah, they fixed MOP problem. In the same way as blowing up your house fixes your rat problem. I personally hated arena in MOP because it was all about immortal hybrids & legendary wizards ccing people for up to 45 seconds (priest / hunter / druid... <shivers>). Now everyone is a legendary wizard, and while CC isnt as much of an annoyance it is still very difficult to kill hybrids. Rag all you want on demon hunters but at least a demon hunter destroys one target, whereas a moonkin if left alone for 5 seconds can decimate your entire team.
    demon hunters can also destroy 3 targets, and MoP last season was prolly one of the most fun seasons i have played.

OP is right. Arena ruins world of Warcraft. It is even worse than LFR.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...629457?page=25
    Quote Originally Posted by Horrigan
    What an utterly stupid thread. So far I have been giving it the responses I feel it deserves which are dismissive, mocking jabs but seeing such a vocal minority being so incorrect has just driven me to make a serious post.

Arena Has Never, Ever Been Good. Period.

During the height of arena which was during TBC from Season 1 to 4 arena was always a small niche that players did to get "welfare epics" as then WoW designer Jeff Kaplan described them. People would opt in to do arena so that they could do 10 games a week and gradually purchase gear and progress their character. Coming from vanilla where the only real obtainable PvP gear was from PvE meant that people were happy to do this.

This here is the first and only example needed as to why people did arena. Getting gear. Progressing their character. People didn't flock and flood the tournament realms now did they? No. Some did, sure. But the majority of players in WoW did NOT participate in the arena. Most of your PvP came from the following:

1. Random Battlegrounds
    2. World PvP (Not including Wintergrasp)
    3. Dueling

People would do the arena in order to gear and make sure their characters were capable of succeeding in these forms of fighting. Resilience meant that if you wore too much PvE gear you got blown up so you wanted to always make sure you had the latest, greatest gear from that season.

Much to the chagrin of raiders (and developers) Blizzard began to lock gear behind rating requirements. We went from shoulders at 2k in Season 3 to weapons at 2.2k in season 6. These were a result of Blizzard trying to add "progression" to this system. People continued to do it because if they wanted to be the best in the PvP they preferred they HAD to get the arena rating to compete.

Having a 2.2k weapon in a random battleground or world PvP battle was a huge deal and was one of the reasons why I myself pushed for it.

Do you see a pattern here? People were not doing arena because it was fun, engaging or exciting. I am sure some people were but they were an extreme minority that was shrinking since the inception of arena. Putting players under a microscope of class balance and "skill" is simply not fun for a lot of people. Especially in an MMORPG. The height of WoW PvP was easily vanilla because everyone could participate and in some way feel like they were progressing their characters forward.

Save your breath and spare me the R14 grind woes. We're talking about arena here. I brought up vanilla because it EASILY had the highest amount of players participating in PvP. PvP realms were a warzone and players came to WoW from much more venerable PvP games such as DAoC or AC. I myself came from DAoC and PlanetSide and rolled exclusively on a PvP realm to PvP as did many, many others.

TLDR: Arena isn't fun for the majority of WoW players. Once the gear was removed players have no interest in doing it since it is not fun. People play Battlefield because it is fun. They do not need to be incentivized. Once the incentive of loot and character progression was removed from arena people stopped doing it yet RANDOM BATTLEGROUNDS and WORLD PvP is full of players. Neither of which reward you either.

Arena Skill And Balance Is A Myth

One of the key things in this stupid thread was some fool claiming that the "skill" from arena is gone. Treating this game as if it was the Quake 3 arena of MMO-PvP at one point and is now nothing more than CoD.

No kid, you're wrong. WoW arena was never, ever balanced and you had to meet quite a few "checks" before you could start to be called skilled.

Warrior in S1? Better hope you have a Stunherald.
    Healer in S2 to S4? Better hope you're a Druid!

Wait, what is that? You're a Holy Paladin in 2v2/3v3? Haha! Get the hell out of here. Enjoy being locked out FOREVER.

Oh you're trying to do 5v5? Better make sure you have an elemental shaman or you're not going anywhere!

Sure if you happened to be one of the FoTM classes or specs you could compete. But... you also have to have the right gear. A lot of which came from PvE. Minor things like trinkets or big things like Stormherald. It all mattered. I still remember fighting rogues with warglaives in S2. Only reason why we could beat them is I would get a well timed mace stun proc. Game was a joke.

Oh WoTLK was the best you say? Really? Was it the best because being a DK in S5 meant you got a free gladiator mount/title? Or how about beastcleave in S6? TSG in S7? And oh man who can forget season 8?!? Heroic DBW, DFO, SHADOWMOURNE! So much skill and fun!

This trash was never balanced and just further reinforces point #1 that arena was never, ever fun.

TLDR: Arena has never been about skill for the average player. It was always about gear, comp and class. Nothing more.

Ratings Are Bad For The Community

I don't use the word toxic. It is a stupid buzzword that millennial's use to describe people who call them (often rightfully) retarded. Ratings cause this "toxic" behavior because somebody has a chance to take something away from you. Imagine being in a dungeon and somebody wipes your group and you lose a piece of gear. His failure simply means you yourself aren't good anymore. You get out of that dungeon and your peers begin to make fun of you.

"Haha! Tyler you stupid moron. Your IL was 890 a few hours ago and now it is down to 870, you washed up now bro?"

"No Dillion, you dork. Some stupid LITERALLY STUPID RETARDED HEALER like TOTALLY WORST HEALER NA couldn't KEEP ME UP WHEN I WAS STANDING IN FIRE!"

Sounds stupid, right? Well welcome to rating based PvP. Other players on your team have the ability to remove something from you and truly make you hate them. No, you don't just lose time... oh no. You lose RATING and thus PROGRESS. Well how is Joe Snuffy the "WORST HEALER NA" going to get better when he can't get into a group because his failure means other people suffer?

I shouldn't have to go into this much more. You get the point.

Ratings are bad. Ratings cause toxicity. Ratings are the main cause of a lot of problems. What are my credentials to say this? Well just look at my PvP cheevos if you really care. I've been to the top and have seen it ESPECIALLY in RBG communities. I've also had the pleasure of playing other games that aren't WoW or MOBA #16 of the year. Is it any wonder why WoW PvP shares the same issues as LoL or DOTA? Is it really?

None of what I says matters because nothing will change but I simply can't let stupid people sit by and praise a dead, dying system that has single handily caused the most irreversible damage to a game I have ever seen.

That INCLUDES LFR.

Quote Originally Posted by Strifeload View Post
    WTF IS THIS BS.

Im sorry.

Some people likes to do nothing but play for the lore, other people won't even touch PvE, others like pets and mounts and the 3rd is achievement hunter.

You represent the PERFECT example of, whats wrong with this community and no matter WHAT they do, this product will suck(and this will be the WoW killer - nothing else).
    I don't see a point to this post beyond you needing to stop raging like a dribbling moron and accepting that some people don't like what you like.

Or well; In RBGs case, most people not liking what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by nspeil View Post

Damn, that's a greatly detailed post that expands on most of my thoughts. Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by Saberstrike; 2017-03-28 at 02:53 PM.

The problem isn't with arenas. As in, it's not that arenas made PVP worse. They just failed to appeal to most. 99% of that could be fixed with a solo queue and better balance.

The linked post isn't bad, it's just that the conclusions are weird.

Blizzard's plan for class design in Legion:

"let's delete 1/3 of their spellbook and put flashy and colorful new animations on the rest. the retards will eat it up!"
    Last edited by shoegazing; 2017-03-28 at 03:38 PM.
    Subtlety Rogue was an amazing, incredible, unique, and fun spec prior to Legion and BfA

“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”

― Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    The problem isn't with arenas. As in, it's not that arenas made PVP worse. They just failed to appeal to most. 99% of that could be fixed with a solo queue and better balance.

The linked post isn't bad, it's just that the conclusions are weird.
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...ge=15#post-283
    40v40 or other large scale PvP is something that has and always will appeal to the masses. This was at one point an MMO game.

It's amusing that entire servers like Venture Co, Bleeding Hollow and ED were based solely around large scale World PvP. In their prime these were some of the most populated realms in the game.

Wintergrasp and Tol'Borad always brought in a lot of players and having a reward at the end of it didn't hurt either.

Ashran was a solid attempt but was poorly done. I will happily admit that Ashran to me (pre-change to 40v40) was one of my favorite things about WoD.

The argument goes both ways. People who think 3v3 is "real PvP" make laugh. Want small scale? Go play one of those garbage MOBA games. Blizzard tried small scale in WoW and it just isn't working.

Unfortunately large scale now wouldn't work either. Too much AOE, a complete disregard on the assist train, too much damage, too little healing... it just would not work in current WoW.

But hey arena is dead and the tears of the arena kiddies makes me laugh.
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...ge=15#post-287
    It hasn't worked.
    It never worked.
    It will never work.

I have met very, very few people who did arena for fun. In TBC people did arena because it was the easiest way to gear up.

In WoTLK people did arena because it was the easiest way to gear up.

Same with Cata.
    Same with MoP.
    Same with WoD.

In Legion gear has been removed from arena and... wait... w-what? Nobody is doing it anymore? I wonder why!

It's not fun. Most players don't find it fun. It isn't fun to play or watch. It is silly. It's just silly.

Thankfully statistics back me up on this.
    - - - Updated - - -

Blizzard's Rob Pardo Talks Five Years of Warcraft

Yes, despite the game's massive success, the developers are extremely aware that they've made mistakes, says Pardo. The lack of a proper Looking For Group tool was something he was "really unhappy" to not have at launch, and that tool is only now coming five years later in Patch 3.3. Aside from all of the technological errors like having too few servers at launch to keep up with the demand, Pardo thinks that the single greatest mistake as far as design of the game is concerned was the choice to introduce competitive "e-sports" into the game via Arenas.

That's like your opinion. For me, arenas is the only PvP in wow. BGs? Top kek

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxz View Post
    LOL. goto play those garbage moba games. They are better than arena.

LOL. goto play those garbage moba games. They are better than arena.
    Go play elephant races in Ashran, it was designed just for low skill morons like you.
    Subtlety Rogue was an amazing, incredible, unique, and fun spec prior to Legion and BfA

“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”

― Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxz View Post
    PVP = Arena
    PVE = everything besides arena.

KILL PVP!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Arenas ruined PvP. It's an unpopular opinion and I can almost feel the rage boiling, but let me explain:

When you think about RPG battles, what do you imagine? Most likely something like WSG, AB or AV -- A battleground. With objectives. Not just a deathmatch in a small room full of pillars. Now, deathmatch has it's time and it's place, and I'm not here to say it should completely disappear. However, I do think ranked WoW PvP -- and arenas -- needs to evolve with the times.

The problems that come from PvP being reduced to a glorified deathmatch are numerous -- the neverending 'melee vs ranged' debate that in my opinion shouldn't even be a debate. Melee is meant to win in a straight up 1v1 -always- against a ranged due to ranged role in any rpg being a backline high-burst damage character; 2nd problem is this endless arms race of cc / mobility / damage. Hp bloating. Various (failed) resilience experiments to offset the former. Etc., etc. -- All that stems from inherently broken 'deathmatch' arena system that shouldn't have been a benchmark for balance in a game like WoW in the first place.

How can we fix it? Well; For example, they could ape GW2 and bring back a 5v5 bracket with smaller maps that have 3 control points. It'll be a smaller scale tactical engagement with mandatory rotations and generally more objective focused gameplay. Or hell it could even be a 3v3 with 2 points, where you respawn if you die but the time to control points is much shorter than in BGs (think need 200 points to win instead of 1500).

It'd make for a much more pleasant niche than RBGs (when I quit a few months back I didn't have 2 people to PvP with, let alone 9...), and it'll be much more e-sports friendly than -- and let's be honest here -- dead on arrival concept of arenas as they are now.
    I actually agree.

Not sure when run and hide became a viable and fun method/strategy. I've always hated pillar humping and felt it was an abuse of mechanics.

When I think arena I think coliseum ancient rome... a combatant that ran away and hid would not have been revered. Yet in WoW arena... that tends to be exactly who wins and who is rewarded... not those that kick ass... its just those that survive.

Look at floyd mayweather and what boxing has become. Run around... hug... take a breath... more hugging. Its crap... its bullshit, its not fun to watch, its not engaging, its boring.

Its also why WoW never took off as a true esports phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazing View Post
    Go play elephant races in Ashran, it was designed just for low skill morons like you.
    MMO doesn't need "high" skill. e-sports are designed for 3rd world poor and stupid people like you.
    Last edited by nspeil; 2017-03-28 at 03:48 PM.

MMO doesn't need "high" skill. e-sports are designed for 3rd world poor and stupid people like you.
    Go chase the elephant around the circle some more with the other mouthbreathers.

Be sure to wipe the drool off your keyboard at least once per hour!

― Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazing View Post
    Go chase the elephant around the circle some more with the other mouthbreathers.

Be sure to wipe the drool off your keyboard at least once per hour!
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...ge=21#post-403
    Because they are rated PvPers and by their very definition not very intelligent.

I am not sure how any of that means that arenas made PVP bad.

Yes, "40v40 or other large scale PvP is something that has and always will appeal to the masses". So what? Etc.

(I could say that small scale PVP also appeals to the masses, but I don't need to do even that, the point is not even made yet and stops at "so what?".)

Deleted
    lol without arena pvp would be little more than an unbalanced oneshot fest in battlegrounds

there is no pvp without arena

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    lol without arena pvp would be little more than an unbalanced oneshot fest in battlegrounds

there is no pvp without arena
    LOL. Oneshot is fun. Infinite sheep was fun. LOL. ARENA RUINS WORLD OF WARCRAFT!!!

Not going to happen! But, I'm sorry that your precious minigame is dead.

LOL no I am not! Haha! ARENA IS DEAD!!!!!

Bring back vanilla HWL bgs