Deleted

7.2 Prot Artifact progression discussion

So, as we know, 7.2 has been on the background downloader for a while now and it's bound to be released relatively soon.
    Also, 7.2 brings big changes to Artifacts, in the sense that more knowledge levels and traits are available.

When Legion hit, after various studies, the optimal artifact progression paths have been figured out.
    How about we do the same for 7.2?

So, let's start with a bit of info and maths. Players with artifact rank 54 will be refunded the 20 points spent in the big trait and will be able to purchase 4 new traits. The possible choices vary between purchasing new traits or the 4th rank (which has been added to all the existing 3/3 traits).

Currently, when maxed out we have ~65.256 mil AP while the total cost of getting to 36 traits is 6.851 mil AP.
    Therefore, after the reset we'll have ~58.405 mil AP to spend.

After purchasing the now one rank of Unbreakable Bulwark which costs 1.635 mil AP, we'll be left with 56.770 mil AP.

I have no sims or anything and this is purely a guess, but I'd say the best path would be:

- First new trait (Protection of the Valarjar) - 1.915 mil AP
    - Toughness 4/4 - 10 mil AP
    - Dragon Skin 4/4 - 13 mil AP
    - Second new trait (Bastion of the Aspects) 1/4 - 17 mil AP

Total spent on the first 4 traits is: 41.915 mil AP, leaving us with 14.855 mil AP.
    The price of the next trait is 22 mil AP, therefore a 7.145 mil AP grind for the 5th point, which I'd put in Bastion of the Aspects 2/4.
    God knows how long this grind will take and whether it's feasible before learning the 26th AK rank.

The reasoning behind my choices is as follows:
    - Our main problem at the moment is constant magic dmg, therefore toughness and dragon skin would immediately improve that.
    - The AP curve is pretty steep, especially at low AK levels, so getting to Gleaming Scales and Neltharion's thunder will take ages, while the benefits are kinda comparable. So why not get better at tanking magic dmg now rather than later?

Have a play for yourself here: http://ptr.wowhead.com/artifact-calc/warrior/protection

Looking forward to this conversation and perhaps we can dive into calculating averages of time frames for AK rank-ups and so on
    Last edited by mmocc52db42425; 2017-03-23 at 02:17 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know they mentioned a while back that AP costs weren't finalized but I'm not sure if that's been updated yet. Seems like an incredibly high amount of AP and since they realize how much we're stuck farming I doubt they would require that much before even getting to the 50/50 trait.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by Protozoid View Post
    So, as we know, 7.2 has been on the background downloader for a while now and it's bound to be released relatively soon.
    Also, 7.2 brings big changes to Artifacts, in the sense that more knowledge levels and traits are available.

When Legion hit, after various studies, the optimal artifact progression paths have been figured out.
    How about we do the same for 7.2?

Have a play for yourself here: http://ptr.wowhead.com/artifact-calc/warrior/protection

Looking forward to this conversation and perhaps we can dive into calculating averages of time frames for AK rank-ups and so on
    Due to the massive chance that this could cause misinformation to be spread from the way it's written, I feel the need to point out a few very simple and strait forward facts you seemed to have missed. Even after providing a link to the Wowhead Calc. I'm not trying to dispute anything or make you feel like this post was dumb.

So, let's start with a bit of info and maths. Players with artifact rank 54 will be refunded the 20 points spent in the big trait and will be able to purchase 4 new traits. The possible choices vary between purchasing new traits or the 4th rank {5th ?}(which has been added to all the existing 3/3 traits).
    1) The progression is linear for the new talents there is no skipping around
    2) You need to have unlocked your 35th trait before you can even be eligible for the new traits via a quest.

God knows how long this grind will take and whether it's feasible before learning the 26th AK rank.
    3) You are not intended to hit max points on your weapon in a short amount of time. The amount of time it would take even at AK 30 would be incredible, the scaling in AK gains after 26 is not as drastic of a climb as we are used to.
    Last edited by Jazko; 2017-03-23 at 06:03 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazko View Post
    Due to the massive chance that this could cause misinformation to be spread from the way it's written, I feel the need to point out a few very simple and strait forward facts you seemed to have missed. Even after providing a link to the Wowhead Calc. I'm not trying to dispute anything or make you feel like this post was dumb.

1) The progression is linear for the new talents there is no skipping around
    2) You need to have unlocked your 35th trait before you can even be eligible for the new traits via a quest.

3) You are not intended to hit max points on your weapon in a short amount of time. The amount of time it would take even at AK 30 would be incredible, the scaling in AK gains after 26 is not as drastic of a climb as we are used to.

I don't want to start a quote war haha, but let's clarify a few things.

1) There is no skipping around indeed, and I didn't suggest that would be the case. But considering the 5 days research timers and the rapid ramp-up in cost of points, I consider it's important to spend the first few points wisely. I didn't suggest skipping, I suggested prioritisation of traits because of the large gaps between when you're gonna be able to buy new traits, since we're gonna be at a low AK lvl for a while and the costs are immense.

2) The 35th trait is required therefore not worth counting as part of the 4 choices to be made, since it's not a choice. Therefore, dare I say, I was correct when saying 4 choices. Also, another confusion there is the fact that you mentioned the 5th? rank ... I was referring to the 4th rank of already existing 3/3 traits. In case you are unaware of this, all the 3/3 old traits are receiving an extra point now.

3) The grind I was referring to there was the 7.145 mil AP grind mentioned one line above that. The discussion there was around whether that will take ages before reaching AK26 or not, making it an important point of discussion as that could play into getting the spell reflect trait quicker, which could in fact offset the weights of the my previous suggestion of taking 2 old traits to 4/4.
    (Note: AK26 has a massively larger multipler than AK25)

No offense to you and I appreciate your effort, but it feels like you threw sand in your eyes before reading my post and basically misunderstood everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    I know they mentioned a while back that AP costs weren't finalized but I'm not sure if that's been updated yet. Seems like an incredibly high amount of AP and since they realize how much we're stuck farming I doubt they would require that much before even getting to the 50/50 trait.
    Well, the 65 mil AP at the start of Legion felt like a truckload as well, but at max AK level it's not that bad, maybe a week of hardcore grind or a month of casual WQ extravaganza. I have a feeling it'll be the same for 7.2, in 3 months when we get to AK 50.

What I'm trying to do here is to start a discussion around the short term strategical prioritisation of traits in order to work around our class' weakness to constant magic damage intake.

What I am NOT trying to do is to discuss finalising our artifact or anything like that.

Deleted
    In case someone gives a damn, here's exactly what I meant in regards to calculations of progression to come.

A spreadsheet of the artifact knowledge schedule and values:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...aring&sle=true

I thought it was said after you open the new stuff you have to complete it all before you go back and 4/4 anything?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewtoy View Post
    I thought it was said after you open the new stuff you have to complete it all before you go back and 4/4 anything?
    Just need your 35th trait. Well that and the quest line of course. Unlocks the new traits and the 4/4 traits.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Just need your 35th trait. Well that and the quest line of course. Unlocks the new traits and the 4/4 traits.
    Hmmm, so then that does make this conversation interesting. Is it better to 4/4 anything like the OP says, namely Toughness and Dragon Skin, or is it just better to go all new traits then back to 4/4?

I'm rushing Neltharion's Thunder first without doubt. Only trait I'd really want to 4/4 ASAP from the main tree is Dragon Skin, and I'm alright holding off on that until I get 20% stronger SR & 5% flat DR.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    I'm rushing Neltharion's Thunder first without doubt. Only trait I'd really want to 4/4 ASAP from the main tree is Dragon Skin, and I'm alright holding off on that until I get 20% stronger SR & 5% flat DR.
    I think this is key. By itself, Neltharion's thunder isn't all that great in my opnion, and wouldn't be worth the 4 traits in "bastion of the aspects". But the spell reflect is amazing strong in some situations, and after that, neltharion's easily beats any other trait 1 to 1.