New AP knowledge catch up mechanic in 7.2

- from front page on mmo-champ:
    "For those not at Knowledge level 25, don’t worry. You’ll be led to Dalaran to get a boost up."

Anyone have an idea of what exactly this means? Is everyone getting a free boost to 25 when 7.2 comes out?
    Wonder if it's worth spending much time on alts before 7.2, when I can get started right from AP knowledge level 25.

Deleted
    it would be completely insane if new players had to start from AP 0 in 7.2, so yeah that's probably exactly what they mean.

the current boost mechanics are to 15 for new players and to 20 for alts, so it's not a stretch to assume it'll be to 25 in 7.2.

7.2 gonna solve all problems Kappa

It's 3 days/AK level so it depends when 7.2 will actually drop and what level your AK is right now. If you're 25 on main, it takes ~2 weeks to get AK25 on an alt using current system. Probably no point in waiting unless it drops this month.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Seeing how exponentially it increases from 26 to 50, this is fair if they want people at 51 traits (which is complete weapon), also less pain in the ass for alts/returning players.

26 is already 4x as much as 25, but even 100.000% is nothing compared to 55million%

And while those numbers seem big (220million AP for 1 single 100.000 token now), they are tiny when it comes to traits over 65 :P

Deleted
    "If you haven’t opened all 35 ranks of your available traits, a quest will become available so you can complete that before moving on."

It's a weird spot. From the news, the artifact traits are also set to 35. Considering that people with 54 will be set to 35 + the remaining AP.

So good that everyone will be in the same power level, and the developers reset the game.

Bad, that you essentially reset the game for everyone. Why should players play, if the things they grind are so easily reset.

It's something that happens in expansions, not patches!

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazkaldar View Post
    "If you haven’t opened all 35 ranks of your available traits, a quest will become available so you can complete that before moving on."

It's a weird spot. From the news, the artifact traits are also set to 35. Considering that people with 54 will be set to 35 + the remaining AP.

So good that everyone will be in the same power level, and the developers reset the game.

Bad, that you essentially reset the game for everyone. Why should players play, if the things they grind are so easily reset.

They want everyone to be at the same AP level, difference between 1-51 traits, is huge, difference between 52-101, not too much, but the effect is, so they can say : look we fixed the 54 trait issue....

51 trait will be fairly simple if you keep up with AK, a super casual can get that by the end of the year, a super hardcore can maybe get 70 traits by constantly farming AP at AK50.

101 traits would take years if they don't increase AK further in 7.3 or something :P
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-03-16 at 02:16 PM.

I doubt it's instant 25 but I wouldn't be shocked.

Beyond that, tho - it takes very little time to get to 25 from 20 after you use a tome. Even after the boost to 20 the general AK catch-up still applies. My DK did it a few weeks ago and those first couple ranks after 20 only took a couple days each. It's probably just like two or three days for all 20-25 at this point.

As of right now 7.2 is still a few weeks away I'd say (3 or 4 or so), probably still worth to go ahead and at least get your alts to 20 for the incidental AP from world quests / emissaries.

- - - Updated - - -

I get your point, but isn't part of the point playing ? By your logic, there is no reason to every play WoW until they announce there will never be another xpac, because everything will keep getting reset until then.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    They want everyone to be at the same AP level, difference between 1-51 traits, is huge, difference between 52-101, not too much, but the effect is, so they can say : look we fixed the 54 trait issue....

51 trait will be fairly simple if you keep up with AK, a super casual can get that by the end of the year, a super hardcore can maybe get 70 traits by constantly farming AP at AK50.

101 traits would take years if they don't increase AK further in 7.3 or something :P
    I agree it's good. Especially in the long run. It's how it should have been from the start. But backtracking like this is worrying. They will get away with it somewhat, but if it's a trend, it's not healthy

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    I doubt it's instant 25 but I wouldn't be shocked.

Beyond that, tho - it takes very little time to get to 25 from 20 after you use a tome. Even after the boost to 20 the general AK catch-up still applies. My DK did it a few weeks ago and those first couple ranks after 20 only took a couple days each. It's probably just like two or three days for all 20-25 at this point.

As of right now 7.2 is still a few weeks away I'd say (3 or 4 or so), probably still worth to go ahead and at least get your alts to 20 for the incidental AP from world quests / emissaries.

- - - Updated - - -

I get your point, but isn't part of the point playing ? By your logic, there is no reason to every play WoW until they announce there will never be another xpac, because everything will keep getting reset until then.
    Not exactly, what I mean is there should be a clear progress curve throughout an expansion. I feel the older expansions did this very well. Making all content relevant is very important. If we start loosing raid, like not caring about TOV because NH is out, or progress like the experience from going to 1-35 AP, it's essentially making that content irrelevant. They do try to fix some of it. Although boosting everyone may be a bit drastic, instead of just letting the AK level smooth that out.
    Last edited by mmoc987cc13f6a; 2017-03-16 at 02:31 PM.

26 AK is such a jump i think newbies should be able to buy 20 asap

You don't reset the game, people who have 35+ traits can use the excess AP to invest in the new perks.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    it would be completely insane if new players had to start from AP 0 in 7.2, so yeah that's probably exactly what they mean.

the current boost mechanics are to 15 for new players and to 20 for alts, so it's not a stretch to assume it'll be to 25 in 7.2.
    It's not really a boost mechanic to get you to 15, you still have to grind the Order Hall Res. to get that, so essentially you're still grinding for the artifact knowledge, but It does take slightly less time If you spend Order Hall Res. for It, but that's about It. And It will slow down your upgrades however, that's the downside. It's a pretty bad -catch up- mechanic, everyone should just not have artifact knowledge, remove It completely. Hell remove artifact power, It's bloody useless and only there to keep you grinding.
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

Ya, our AP will be normalized, but there will still be a large difference between someone with an overall ilvl of 905 and a 910 weapon and someone sitting at ilvl 860 with with an 875 weapon. It isn't that we'll all be equal again, but we'll all be on the same phase of our skill tree again. And the only reason they are doing it is because they made the difference in levels of our skill trees too large.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVaryag View Post
    It's not really a boost mechanic to get you to 15, you still have to grind the Order Hall Res. to get that, so essentially you're still grinding for the artifact knowledge, but It does take slightly less time If you spend Order Hall Res. for It, but that's about It. And It will slow down your upgrades however, that's the downside. It's a pretty bad -catch up- mechanic, everyone should just not have artifact knowledge, remove It completely. Hell remove artifact power, It's bloody useless and only there to keep you grinding.
    Lets just get rid of all the rewards, and TF/WF. That way, once youve cleared the difficulty your raid group is capable of, youre done! You can unsub, and wait to play a month of the next raid patch, and unsub again!

Quote Originally Posted by ssambakd View Post
    - from front page on mmo-champ:
    "For those not at Knowledge level 25, don’t worry. You’ll be led to Dalaran to get a boost up."

Anyone have an idea of what exactly this means? Is everyone getting a free boost to 25 when 7.2 comes out?
    Wonder if it's worth spending much time on alts before 7.2, when I can get started right from AP knowledge level 25.
    Any news about this? Is it true?

Still don't know what to expect, leveling my alt to lvl 110 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    By your logic, there is no reason to every play WoW until they announce there will never be another xpac, because everything will keep getting reset until then.

As a side note to this, I think the players that come and go are doing it wrong because of the way they tend to time it.

If you know you won't be around for a whole expansion, then the LAST thing you should do is come back at the beginning of an expansion... Because everything in the expansion is designed to hold you back then. While if you give it a year or so after the expansion releases (and particularly near the expansion end) game design starts shifting to push you forward rather than hold you back.

THis is not to mention that the game is usually cheaper by that point to, which is a nice bonus.

In 7.2 you can buy instant AK levels up to 25 for 500 garrison resources apiece. It's the same mechanic that stopped at 15 in 7.1.5.

I haven't heard anything about instant boosts to 35 APs or anything like that. It's probably a feeder quest "Once you get 35 points, come back to me."

There is an instant boost from AK25 to AK26 with a broken shore quest, but after that it's queuing up garrison work orders at 5 days per stack again.

Pretty sure from the wording you just have to do a simple quest, maybe grind something for a few days and u can spend 35 points in your weapon if u didn't had 35 points already, they want everyone to be AK25 and 35 traits in 7.2.

''Come back to me once you get 35 points '' isn't a quest to help you get 35 points lmao