Poll: Is it acceptable to refuse this man service?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    I'd agree with that. But someone's clothing would have to be pretty specific and not just have a cross on it or say "Make America Great Again" for them to reach that conclusion.
    If the people don't talk about specifics of their opinion, it would be very hard to reach such conclusion indeed. Requires them to talk about it.

I was about to type how easy it's to spot bigoted opinions from people, as they simply can't seem to help themselves in their speech without showing it, and before I did, a case in point poster shows up:

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    i "defend" businesses when they deny services to the blacks, the mexicans, the gays or any other of their weird combinations

same way... dont care if its the whitest hick... if the business doesnt want to serve it because of x or y reason, then that should be their choice.. so gtfo

regardless of race, color, appearance, WHATEVER... i own it, so GTFO i dont want you here.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2017-03-28 at 04:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    So no two rounds of wedding cakes was served. You think someone would have a problem if business owner tells them "no more than 2 wedding caterings"? Or was it because....lemme think...Because flat out refusal with no round of cakes?

That's not the same as being served 2 drinks.
    You’re missing the point…

In the bakery case, the store owners had served the gay couple on a number of occasions, and had stated that they would continue to serve the couple in their store. They objected to catering the wedding. It was a difference in disagreeing with one’s beliefs vs disagreeing with one’s actions.

The equivalent would be if the NYC bar owner welcomed the Trump supporter in his bar, but refused to set up a beer tent at the person’s Trump rally. If that was the case, then I would agree with your comparison.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Tried to find a different source.. turns out, not easy.
    All I could find were sources worse than the New York Post.. And the Post isn't a news source as such. It's a boulevard mag/rainbow press outlet.
    Interesting how the mainstream media doesn’t cover stories like this, isn’t it? When the news doesn’t support their agenda, then it must not be news.
    CPU: Intel i7 3770K Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V PRO GPU: 2X Asus GTX 770 OC SLI Heatsink: Hyper 212 EVO RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600mhz SSD: 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO HDD: WD 2tb Caviar Black PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: CM HAF 932 Advanced

Quote Originally Posted by lordsphinx View Post
    You’re missing the point…

In the bakery case, the store owners had served the gay couple on a number of occasions, and had stated that they would continue to serve the couple in their store. They objected to catering the wedding. It was a difference in disagreeing with one’s beliefs vs disagreeing with one’s actions.

The equivalent would be in the NYC bar owner welcomed the Trump supporter in his bar, but refused to set up a beer tent at the person’s Trump rally. If that was the case, then I would agree with your comparison.
    Belief is optional, being gay is not. Nor is it an action of any sort, it's who the person is. That's discriminating against a person for who they are, based on your optional belief.

The second part makes about no sense at all, unless the bar offers that to everyone else too. You know, like those wedding cakes were on the menu for anyone but gays. Making an exception to refuse part of your menu for someones sexuality, is not the same as refusing to make a beer tent at request, if you are not offering such to anyone in the first place.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2017-03-28 at 04:43 PM.

A business should not be forced to serve anyone they do not wish to serve. It really is that simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaper View Post
    How about discrimination based on age or sex or etnicity? Cause that happens in like 99% of all consumer business everywhere.

I mean, you can deny a 24y old rental of a car because according to a statistic he is more likely to get in an accident than someone of age 25 or higher. Meanwhile you cannot deny a black person rental of a car IF (a big if, it's merely used as an example) he is statisticaly more likely to get in an accident. Why?

No, either all discrimination is ok or none of it is. There is no inbetween. Treat everyone equally always.
    depends on if it is a public or private business. also denying based on statistics or likelyhood to get in an accident is NOT a federally protected class since statistics are by themselves not biased. african american/jamaican/african/etc is a federally proctected class from discrimination based on the fact you refused him because of his race.
    as per this bill:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2017-03-28 at 04:47 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Just sounds like your standard whiny Trump fan.

The second part makes about no sense at all, unless the bar offers that to everyone else too. You know, like those wedding cakes were on the menu for anyone but gays. Making an exception to refuse part of your menu for someones sexuality, is not the same as refusing to make a beer tent at request, if you are not offering such to anyone in the first place.
    This is just a hypothetical. Hypothetically, if they sponsored beer tents at events, but refused this Trump rally, then that would be the same situation. The baker didn't disagree with them being gay (he served them in his store several times, and they were still welcome in his store), but he did not want to support their marriage (disagreeing with their actions, not their beliefs). The bible teaches that marriage is between a man and a woman, and supporting a same-sex marriage would go against his religious beliefs.
    CPU: Intel i7 3770K Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V PRO GPU: 2X Asus GTX 770 OC SLI Heatsink: Hyper 212 EVO RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600mhz SSD: 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO HDD: WD 2tb Caviar Black PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: CM HAF 932 Advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    It is bad business to not serve Trump supporters, apparently there are a lot of them.

Seems like a dick move by the bartender, and could be a poor business choice by the owner.
    I don't think that there are that many Trump supporters in NY.

For the record, I should also add that I have no problem with the bar refusing service, for any reason they wish. I only posted the poll as a way of pointing out the hypocrisy that was going to arise from people who think this is OK, but disagree with the bakery.

Pretty sure most businesses can pick and choose who they serve for (almost)any reason at all. Including being a backwards thinking piece of trash.

This is just a hypothetical. Hypothetically, if they sponsored beer tents at events, but refused this Trump rally, then that would be the same situation. The baker didn't disagree with them being gay (he served them in his store several times, and they were still welcome in his store), but he did not want to support their marriage (disagreeing with their actions, not their beliefs). The bible teaches that marriage is between a man and a woman, and supporting a same-sex marriage would go against his religious beliefs.
    The bible also happens to preach tolerance, and living in harmony with fellow people. What happened to that? It was too inconvenient for that particular persons own opinion, so it was conveniently left out?

I don't agree with it, but think they should be free to decide for themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedSkull View Post
    I don't think that there are that many Trump supporters in NY.
    I say that about CA too but there he is, my neighbor, with his MAGA sticker on the back of his truck that gets 9 MPG.

They are everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    liberals claim to be open minded and accepting but that only lasts until you have an opinion different from theirs. Thing is when you call them out on it they'll come out of the woodwork to say "but republicans do it!!" Just like the liberals on the forum will do in this thread.

[Infracted]
    and what does stupid fucking endus do... only confirm your suspicion of hypocrisy

its like calling a black person a nigger, then them getting mad and hitting you, much like a nigger would. silly liberals, quit acting like a bunch of rabid niggers.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-03-28 at 05:21 PM.

The bible also happens to preach tolerance, and living in harmony with fellow people. What happened to that? It was too inconvenient for that particular persons own opinion, so it was conveniently left out?
    There are plenty of discrepancies in the Bible, or any other religious text for that matter. The Bible very specifically states that marriage is between a man and a woman. It doesn’t specifically state “thou shalt not deny service to homosexuals”.

the bible also has people killing others left and right. its all bullshit, sad some cant see that.

SO, I suppose this is 8 pages of the Lefties here admonishing this behavior and the right supporting it?

No its the opposite? Well at least people are consistent....
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Bible very specifically states that marriage is between a man and a woman.
    Only in some recent english translations. It DOES however say that one can purchase a wife with foreskins. So there's that.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    If they had any brain between their ears they could've just said that he violated the dress code.
    This backfires, "Oh? I'm sorry, what can I do to fix it?" Homeboy was a bouncer, he had this "smart" idea before.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fiestatastic View Post
    I didn't read anywhere where the bartenders wore a badge of liberalism, or said anything about being liberal, or even nuanced towards any liberal issues. Wow, and then you made a bunch of other assumptions and generalizations after that too.
    This is some olympic level reaching. THe man was booted for wearing a MAGA hat, and you are honestly going to say they weren't liberals?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    The man was booted for wearing a MAGA hat, and you are honestly going to say they weren't liberals?
    That's what is claimed, but not what has been backed up with anything.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-